Spriet

Spriet isn't feeling very well the past few weeks..

5 or 6 weeks ago she started to trow up a few times, she didn't want to eat anymore, diarrhea, and she didn't want to go for a walk.

We went to the vet several times and we tried some medicines, but it all didn't work for a long time.. The vet took a few tests and the X-ray showed nothing. Liver, pancreas, gall bladder.. everything was fine. But it turned out there were some problems with digesting lipids.

About a week ago we started to give her Prednisone. We also changed her food: "digestive support (specific)".

This worked out pretty wel.. She started to play a bit more, she wanted to go for a walk an no more diarrhea.

But she was really hungry (because of the Prednisone). Friday she suddenly grabbed some bread from the table.. So saturday it started all over again.. feeling sick, diarrhea...

We went to the vet again and he told us to wait for a few days/weeks, to see if it really was the bread why it all started over again.

If it doesn't get better, of if she stays really sick, we have to come back and take an x-ray again. If that doesn't show anything, they probably have to operate to take a look if there maybe is a tumour that didn't show up on the x-rays :( But this is only when it she's really sick.. Right now she's still a bit sick, she sleeps a lot, but she likes to go for a walk and play a little.

I hope I used all the correct English words.. I had to use the dictionairy a few times ;)

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

I hope she settles or you find out what is causing her discomfort and that it is nothing too serious.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Can they do an ultrasound. Tumours won't show up on xrays

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

We got good information on the state of Spencer's intestines from ultrasound. And it sounds like Spriet can't do carbs, which Spencer couldn't either for about a year. Best of luck, our thoughts are with you.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Poor baby! Hope her tummy calms down soon. If she cannot tolerate carbs, could have been that bread.

I'd be giving something with the Pred for her stomach, too. 20 mg of Pepcid AC or it's generic, would be worth a try.

Also, I'd also opt for an ultrasound before doing exploratory surgery.

Sending hugs and prayers!

Sending gentle hugs and hopes your girl recovers 100%.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Prayers for your sweet one. You might want to put her on something for her tummy. Pred can be hard on the stomach of some pups. Something to coat the stomach might make her feel a little better.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Stripeyfan

Sounds like some sort of IBD to me, especially if she's reacting to eating bread - classic wheat sensitivity. Has she had a tummy bug recently? I sympathise, because we have been going through something similar - Kelly can eat a home cooked bland diet but if we try anything else, or he pinches something he shouldn't have, he starts with diarrhea and lethargy again within 24 hours, even on 'digestive support' foods. He is also on pred.

I second getting the ultrasound, our vet talked to us about exploratory surgery for Kelly but said it isn't a cure and sometimes doesn't even give any answers, so it's a very drastic thing to do, especially if your dog's already sick. I'd want a bit more time to see how things go and give the pred a chance to work, especially if she seems better as long as she's not getting into things she shouldn't! But yes, give something to protect the tummy like Pepcid or slippery elm.

Sending loads of hugs, prayers and good thoughts to her (and you). :grouphug :grouphug

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this about beautiful Spriet! I sure hope things get figured out and she gets better soon!! :grouphug

Thanks for your advice and replies, everyone.

I think we'll call the vet this tuesday, and I'll ask about an ultrasound and maybe some meds for her stomach. I don't know if it's wheat sensitivity. I'll ask the vet if he checked that..

Spriet never had any problems with her stomach.. You could give her anything, never had any problems, until 5 weeks ago..

Right now she still has diarrhea, she has to go about 4 times a day.. We feed her about 8 times a day, each time just a little bit food (digestive support, we try to let her eat nothing else, but that's not easy when she's so hungry.. She tries to eat everything! Sand, grass, poop :puke )

Anne, Sasha & Tapas. Spriet (2002-2015), Tibbie (2000-2015) and Gunda (1996-2009)

www.sighthoundgoodies.com

anne_sas3gt_bbuveb.jpg

Considering the number of weeks this has been going on and her prior history of no stomach trouble, I would have Spriet's poop subjected to a culture and sensitivity test (C&S). I'd send it off today as it takes 7-10 days to get the results. If there's a bacterial overgrowth in the intestines, the colonized bacteria secrete toxins that are very, very damaging. It's a big deal. But it's not nearly as expensive as an ultrasound; $80 or so in my part of the U.S. After we found the bacterial overgrowth with our Spencer, we had to give three antibiotics, and he still wound up with IBD and will be treated for that the rest of his life. But treatment for IBD ranges from useless to harmful if there's an underlying, untreated bacterial fest in the intestines.

Really not trying to scare you. Just offering our experience and support. We're thinking of you and Spriet and wishing you strength, energy, and health.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).