Hello!

Guest VTGreyLover

Guest VTGreyLover

Hi, I've been reading GT for about a month now and have decided to join! A little bit about me... I just graduated from Virginia Tech and have moved to Northern Virginia where I have a "real" job. I have a 4 year old cat named Roxy and she rules the household. She enjoys chasing my parents terrier mix around the house and in turn he chases her right back. I have always thought greyhounds were such graceful, elegant dogs. After I met Gracie, my DBF's parent's greyhound I knew that I would have to get my own one day. I'm planning on adopting sometime in the next 6-9 months after I get settled into a condo (I'm living with my parents for the time being til I find a place) I am currently reading "Retired Racing Greyhound's for Dummies" and would love other suggestions on good books to read. I already have a bunch of questions about adopting so I'll be posting those in the appropriate sections. Below are photos of my cat Roxy and DBF's parent's greyhound Gracie because I know how much everyone loves photos!

102_0108.jpg?t=1274299590

Roxy enjoys sleeping in laptop cases more than her own bed!

IMG_5106.jpg?t=1274299631

Gracie

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/cmfay/101_0540.jpg?t=1274300068

Gracie loves her stuffed animals...is that a greyhound thing??

http://i831.photobucket.com/albums/zz233/cmfay/101_0531.jpg?t=1274299753

Guest TheUnrulyHound

awwwwwwwwwww :blush Gracie has such a sweet sweet face!!!

Some greys love their stuffies just to play with, looks like Gracie might LOVE her stuffies kinda like my Stepper does :wub:

stepperbunny1.jpg

Welcome from Maryland. Gracie is really pretty and it looks like she loves her stuffies! My Breeze also loves stuffies and she loves to run through the house with them.

Good luck in your grey search and remember to post pictures of your new grey when you finally adopt!

Edited by Potomacpupsmom

gallery_22163_3545_9670.jpg

Humans Kathy and Jim with our girls, Ivy (Carolina Spoon) and Cherry (Fly Cherry Pie)

Missing our beautiful angel Breeze (Dighton Breeze) and angel Beka (BM Beko) - you are forever in our hearts.

Guest EmilyandSioux

Care of the Racing Greyhound by Linda Blythe and there is one by Cynthia Brannagon but I can't remember the name of the book or where it is. Sioux(GH) may have read it and used it for bedding like he does when he is finished reading a book.

Welcome from a fellow Hokie :colgate!

The Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies is definitely one of my favorite greyhound specific books. A couple of other books that aren't greyhound-specific that I really liked are:

- On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas

- The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell

Both of them talk about how dogs communicate, relate, and understand things. The Rugaas book is very short, but really informative and focuses on interpreting dog behaviors and how they try to communicate to us. The McConnell book is much more in depth.

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Guest VTGreyLover

Thanks for all the suggestions! I plan on keeping myself entertained with reading. It's really hard to wait to adopt but I've waited 3 years so far so what's a few more months :colgate

Welcome!

Gracie is a cutie pie, she and Myka could be related

cookie.jpg

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Welcome! Hope you get your houndie soon! Love the kitty pics, and Gracie looks like a doll.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Hi and Welcome from Arizona! Roxy and Gracie are adorable! Bet you can't wait to get your very own houndie!

Greetings from another ACC'er, and welcome to GT! :welcome2

Roxy and Gracie are so cute, and you are smart to be doing your reading and research prior to adoption.

Greyhounds are awesome, as you already know! :)

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Welcome from a fellow Hokie :colgate!

The Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies is definitely one of my favorite greyhound specific books. A couple of other books that aren't greyhound-specific that I really liked are:

- On Talking Terms with Dogs: Calming Signals by Turid Rugaas

- The Other End of the Leash by Patricia McConnell

Both of them talk about how dogs communicate, relate, and understand things. The Rugaas book is very short, but really informative and focuses on interpreting dog behaviors and how they try to communicate to us. The McConnell book is much more in depth.

If you're in N. Va and don't mind a bit of a drive, Daedalus Books in Columbia had both Ret. Racing Greys for Dummies AND The Other End of the Leash (as well as Adopting the Racing Grey by Branigan) when I was there last week! And they're CHEAP there!! Maybe $4-8 dollars... (They're mostly online but they have an actual store off Rt. 32 - it's a great... and dangerous!... place... I call it Deadliest Books 'cause I rarely get out of there for under $100!!)

I did buy a copy of The Other End of the Leash - it's a great book!

Good luck! And there are a bunch of good groups in the area!

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge