Cheapest Place For Pet Meds?

Guest savvyprchick

Guest savvyprchick

Chase had some pre-blood work for an upcoming dental (poor guy is going to lose 2-4 teeth). It came back that he has hypothyroidism. The vet wants to put him on .5mg of thyroxine. It's $25, including tax, for a month's supply by buying it at the vet. I just looked at 1800 Pet Meds has it for $15, including shipping (plus, I found a $5 coupon, so it's only $10).

Now, I know 1800 Pet Meds is generally an expensive online site for most things... any other reliable/reputable places to buy this stuff for Chase?

Anything like that, that's also a people drug, you can usually get cheapest at places like Costco, Walmart, or your supermarket pharmacy. We get our Chase's heart meds at Costco.

...............Chase (FTH Smooth Talker), Morgan (Cata), Reggie (Gable Caney), Rufus
(Reward RJ). Fosters check in, but they don't check out.
Forever loved -- Cosmo (System Br Mynoel), March 11, 2002 - October 8, 2009.
Miss Cosmo was a lady. And a lady always knows when to leave.

Guest savvyprchick

Anything like that, that's also a people drug, you can usually get cheapest at places like Costco, Walmart, or your supermarket pharmacy. We get our Chase's heart meds at Costco.

I've tried. Unfortunately, like most dogs with this, Chase's dosage is much higher than a human's so it is not available in the correct dosage.

I think I found a good place. PetCareRx. I used to use them for Interceptor.

My boy Tally is on .4 mg twice a day. I get the .8 mg pill and split them in half (interestingly enough, it's cheaper this way!). I found the best price at www.drsfostersmith.com. I pay $12.60 for a quantity of 90 .8-mg pills - which lasts me 3 months.

Pat

P.S. I get soloxine.

Edited by phall

If he just has a low T4, I wouldn't do it at all. You need a full thyroid panel to diagnose hypothyroidism in a greyhound.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Swifthounds

If he just has a low T4, I wouldn't do it at all. You need a full thyroid panel to diagnose hypothyroidism in a greyhound.

What Batmom said.

Guest luckydog

Chase had some pre-blood work for an upcoming dental (poor guy is going to lose 2-4 teeth). It came back that he has hypothyroidism. The vet wants to put him on .5mg of thyroxine...

Are you sure you've got the correct dosage? 0.5mg is incredibly high, even for a human.

Guest KennelMom

What Batmom said.

:nod

Guest BooBooMama

I have crappy health insurance so I joined Walgreens' Prescription Savings Club for myself. When BooBoo was diagnosed with osteo I found that I could fill HER perscriptions if I got a Family Plan for $35 a year. (Only the 'human' drugs, of course! i.e. Tramadol, etc.)

I spent $8.99 on a drug that cost me $48.95 at the E-Vet!

Try Google Shopping. I've found it to be a great tool for searching the web for the best prices on things.

http://www.google.com/prdhp?hl=en&tab=wf

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Swifthounds

I have crappy health insurance so I joined Walgreens' Prescription Savings Club for myself. When BooBoo was diagnosed with osteo I found that I could fill HER perscriptions if I got a Family Plan for $35 a year. (Only the 'human' drugs, of course! i.e. Tramadol, etc.)

I spent $8.99 on a drug that cost me $48.95 at the E-Vet!

Most of the major pharmacies have something like this. I know CVS does. IF you don't see one at your local chain, ask!

Guest Greytluv

:nod I'd have Dr. Dodds at Hemopet read the blood work. Point 5 seems really high :dunno

This year, I'm going to check out cosco. What exactly do I ask for because when I called them last year they didn't have soloxine--but maybe it has a different name.

Right now, I order an entire year at a time from the vet and it saves a lot of money.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest barkdogs

.5mg for a large dog actually isn't so high.My iggy gets .2 mgs twice a day. I have had a few hypothyroid dogs over the years and that dose is pretty average for a large dog. That being said, from what I've been hearing about hypothyroidism in greyhounds, it might be a good investment to first have a full thyroid panel done. . . .

Guest MyBoys

I always use Drs. Foster and Smith, I know they are probably not the cheapest but they are cheaper then the vet, but they are very reliable and have free shipping on most of their meds. You just need to be careful who and where you order prescription meds from online.

Guest WhenIGiveIn

As others have said I would higly recommend having his blood values checked again the greyhound blood planel. You could even send them to Dr Couto and he will look at them for you.

If he really does need them the best thing you can do is price shop.

Guest savvyprchick

Thanks guys... what full panel are you talking about? He got a senior panel done. This vet has had two greyhounds herself (last one died of old age a few months ago).

Thyroid panel such as http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog.exe?Action=Test&Id=1388 .

A single T4 isn't a good diagnostic test. A perfectly normal dog can have a low (or nonexistant) T4 one day, high the next, in between the next, etc. You want fT4, fT3, TSH at a minimum.

ETA: On a senior blood panel, what you got was almost certainly a T4. If your dog has no symptoms of hypothyroidism, I'd just ignore it. If he does or if you have doubts, get a thyroid-specific panel such as the one above.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest savvyprchick

Thyroid panel such as http://www.animalhealth.msu.edu/Bin/Catalog.exe?Action=Test&Id=1388 .

A single T4 isn't a good diagnostic test. A perfectly normal dog can have a low (or nonexistant) T4 one day, high the next, in between the next, etc. You want fT4, fT3, TSH at a minimum.

ETA: On a senior blood panel, what you got was almost certainly a T4. If your dog has no symptoms of hypothyroidism, I'd just ignore it. If he does or if you have doubts, get a thyroid-specific panel such as the one above.

Thanks! I'll contact the vet right away.

Thanks guys... what full panel are you talking about? He got a senior panel done. This vet has had two greyhounds herself (last one died of old age a few months ago).

If this is Dr. Debra W., give her our best. She was our vet before we moved to a more southerly community.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest DoofBert

And don't give up on the purchase at human pharmacy..... you can combine the tablets to the proper dose.... I know that I needed a very specific dosage (for me) and doctor gav eme two prescriptions....pharmact filled them both without question.

Guest Swifthounds

Seconding this. And adding a link to HEMOPET with some good information.