Manny Had A Seizure

Guest zombrie

Poor baby, hopefully they will get him started on some anti seizure meds quickly. He definitely needs some relief.

I couldn't agree more. I'm surprised the first vet didn't put him on seizure meds with what he was going through. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the seizures stop soon.....Phaelin has them so I know how horrible they can be.

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest zombrie

Manny is still having seizures today :( I'm so upset he can't come home yet, but he is in the best place for him right now

They are starting him on medication today. The director of my group said if he is still having seizures in a week, we'll bring him in to get an MRI.

Hopefully starting him on some anti seizure meds will at least slow the seizures or stop them completely. If not, then an MRI would be in order.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Energy11

Yes, they NEED to find out what is causing soooo many seizures! Yes, the meds will help, but, if at all possible, they need to determine the cause. Sending hugs and good luck from here!

Guest LindsaySF

Definitely rule out any underlying causes for the seizures. Has any of his bloodwork or anything come back yet? That said, he could very well have idiopathic epilepsy (no known cause, they suspect genetic predisposition), and he's just in a bad cluster at the moment.

Is he on a valium drip? Is the vet he's at familiar with seizure dogs? Some vets keep them at the hospital for observation, but they don't really do anything differently than you would at home. But if he is continuing to seize he needs to be on a valium drip ASAP and started on some other medication as well. The first priority right now is getting him past this cluster. What meds are they starting him on?

~Lindsay~

Guest zombrie

Definitely rule out any underlying causes for the seizures. Has any of his bloodwork or anything come back yet? That said, he could very well have idiopathic epilepsy (no known cause, they suspect genetic predisposition), and he's just in a bad cluster at the moment.

Is he on a valium drip? Is the vet he's at familiar with seizure dogs? Some vets keep them at the hospital for observation, but they don't really do anything differently than you would at home. But if he is continuing to seize he needs to be on a valium drip ASAP and started on some other medication as well. The first priority right now is getting him past this cluster. What meds are they starting him on?

~Lindsay~

Yes, Manny is on a Valium drip. We should, if all goes well, be bringing him home in the morning.

His blood work came back this morning and the white blood cell count was high and thyroid was a little low but not worrisome. Possible infection?

They are putting him on Capra and Potassium Bromide and we'll see how he does.

Edited by zombrie

Guest zombrie

Thanks for the spelling correction :P

We were told Manny had a really bad seizure yesterday afternoon, but we are bringing him home today at 4. Fingers are crossed hoping that the meds will at least slow the seizures down

They are putting him on Capra and Potassium Bromide and we'll see how he does.

Interesting that they aren't starting him off with phenobarbital. Keppra is usually used as an "add-on" drug to pheno or potassium bromide, but from reading the EPIL-K9 list, we usually see it used after pheno has been tried and hasn't worked (or hasn't worked very well). Also, pheno tends to get into their system quicker than potassium bromide does.....are they having you give him a loading dose (large dose) of the potassium bromide and then tapering the dose down?

I keep checking this thread hoping Manny's seizures will be stopping soon......I know how wearing this has to be on both of you. grouphug.gif

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Wishing you the luck we had with Saint and Potassium Bromide. Saint had been on phenobarbital for several weeks with increases in the dosage several times when our vet decided to add the potassium bromide. Once he got the potassium bromide in his system he didn't have another seizure.

Hopefully with seizure meds on board he will get some relief from these seizures.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest LindsaySF

I figured the correct spelling would be good in case you wanted to google it or anything. ;)

I'm wondering the same things that Paula is. The KBr will take a while to get into his system, but the Keppra should start working quickly. Keppra has a shorter half-life than phenobarbital, it needs to be dosed every 8 hours compared to pheno's every 12. It's not necessarily a bad thing that they went with Keppra first, as long as it works it doesn't matter what drug you use, but it's just strange because usually they try pheno first.

As scary as the seizures are to witness, if none of them last longer than 4 minutes or so, you're in good shape. Hopefully his bad seizures yesterday were still short? Sophie has had some minor ones and some violent ones, it all depends on what parts of the brain are affected as to how violent it will be, but as long as they are still short in duration I don't get too concerned. And the post-ictal period doesn't always correlate with seizure severity. Sophie's worst post-ictal state followed a fairly minor seizure, and after her most violent seizure to date she recovered in about 30 minutes.

I'm glad he gets to come home today. :) Keep us posted!

~Lindsay~

Guest zombrie

Manny is home now. Understandably, he's very confused...if I didn't know better I would have thought it was his first time in the house. I gave him a tiny scrap of meat that my mom was cooking for dinner, and he was nibbling my hand trying to eat my fingers when normally he's so careful about taking treats he prefers you to drop it on the floor :blink:. He has also taken to staring at walls. So he hasn't fully collected himself yet. But at least he's strong enough to still be hoping about and a tail wag every now and then. I wouldn't expect him to be 100% normal right away when he had 9 seizures in a day and a half time period. The vet said the Keppra might make him a bit sleepy, too. Here's hoping that my next report will be a good one!!

Guest Energy11

Poor Manny! Poor You!

Gez... so much in such a few days!

Here's hoping he will get better soon, and reorient himself to his routine.

Sending lots of good thoughts, love and prayers... p.s. the meds could DEFINITELY be causing some of his disorientation, not to mention all the Valium he has had!

Guest zombrie

Poor Manny! Poor You!

Sending lots of good thoughts, love and prayers... p.s. the meds could DEFINITELY be causing some of his disorientation, not to mention all the Valium he has had!

That is what I figured. He has some serious ETS going on too :P

Guest Energy11

Poor Manny! Poor You!

That is what I figured. He has some serious ETS going on too tongue.gif

When I was a paramedic, I saw HUMANS like Manny after having mutiple seizures, and taking all the meds, etc. ... Manny has been through the mill, trust me! Just watch him, and give him lots of love and attention. IF the horrible seizures start up again....you, unfortunately, OR, fortunately, "know the drill!"

Love ya a ton! Dee and The Five!

Sending powerful prayers for a quiet, seizure free night. Everyone needs some rest!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest LindsaySF

He'll probably be dopey for a day or two. Both from the seizures and from all the meds. I hope you both have a good night.

How is Manny today?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest zombrie

So far, so good. This morning he was still very spacey, could not settle down, barking, tearing apart his blankets...

This afternoon he seems to be starting to get back to his old self! The happy goofy boy is back! He still isn't completely normal but he's getting there. It has been officially over 48 hours since he started the meds, and he has not had a seizure

:goodluck Here's to hoping it continues that way! Thank you everyone again for all the support and advice

That's a great report! I'll keep him in my prayers. No more seizures little boy!

Guest Energy11

GREYT NEWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Looks like the meds might be kicking in!

Have they decided on a possible "cause" for these seizures yet? How was the bloodwork?

Send Manny my LOVE, please!