Constipation After Diarrhea?

Guest NJgrey

Guest NJgrey

Ellie had a bad bout of diarrhea on Friday. Came home from work to find two piles of loose, drippy poop on the floor. When we took her out she went again, just drops of liquid. Took her out again later that evening and she went another 4-5 times, mostly liquid, at one point looked like just water. Gave her a small meal of brown rice and boiled hamburger. Woke up Saturday morning at 4am and she was pacing around the bedroom. We went right out and she went again, very loose, gooey and looked to have a little blood in it. We went to the vet and gave a stool sample. Vet put her on a 5 day course of Flagyl.

It's now Sunday and she hasn't had a BM since early Saturday morning. She ate Saturday morning and night, and again this morning. She doesn't seem to be in discomfort, maybe a little more lethargic than normal but not by much at all. When we go out she's not straining to go where nothing comes out, she sniffs around like normal but doesn't even try to go.

Is this normal at all after a bad case of diarrhea? Is it a side effect of the flagyl? Should we be worried yet?

Guest Energy11

Yep... sounds like she is literally "all pooped out," and the Flagyl is doing the trick. There IS an intestional virus going around ... DD's Tea Cup Yorkie had it, and several of my friend's Greys, too.

Hope everything continues to improve, but, nope, I wouldn't be worried. Things will "come out" when they are ready!

Guest Stripeyfan

Kelly often doesn't go for 2-3 days after he's had the big D bad with his IBD - like the others have said, it just empties them right out. If you're only feeding small amounts of food this will slow things down too, so I wouldn't worry. Hope she's all better soon.

Guest NJgrey

Well, we have "lift off"!

Not a lot, and it wasn't super firm, but definitely not the Big D any more. Hoping for another or two today.

Thanks for the replies!

Guest NJgrey

Well, she's going more regularly now, but not out of the woods yet. Was pretty watery last night. I think it may be the rice - is it possible she may not process the stuff well? Cut down on the portion of rice in her food last night and this morning, added more kibble.

Would it be smart to add back a little pumpkin to her diet at this point? We cut out most treats - bully sticks, pupperoni, training treats. Also cut the pumpkin or yogurt from her meals, cut the salmon oil as well. Does the big D usually take a few days to really clear up?

Guest Energy11

Mine respond well to PLAIN yogurt when they've had stomach issues, and yes, when Cari was on the rice, I think it did make her runny.

You could ask your vet for some Science Diet ID, or Purina EN (canned). They REALLY help after they've had stomach problems and/or The Big D.

Good Luck!

The pumpkin should help with loose stools as long as you don't give too much (I usually do a tablespoon a couple of times per day).

What I as told was that you might want to feed exclusively bland for a couple of days to let the tummy/digestive track settle. Then start adding in the kibble again --- going slowly almost like you were switching foods.

We followed the bland diet recipe in the "Greyhound for Dummies" book (combination ground beef, rice, egg, yogurt). The only change we made was to do half rice / half oatmeal. I was told by my adoption group that oatmeal works better for some dogs. The mixture cleared Molly up in just a couple of days. However, when we started to add back in her regular food she got sick again. So we returned that bag (which was new) and got a new bag with a different expiration date per the Company's suggestion. Still the Big-D. They must've changed something that didn't agree with her.

So I decided to switch to TOTW --- since we've been adding that in (slowly adding more kibble, less rice mixture) she's had no problems at all.

Good luck!

Jennifer, Mike and the menagerie ---

Molly (Blue Sky Dreamin), Tinker (BT My Lil Girl) and their feline brothers Miles and Lewis

Visit Molly's Photo Album

Guest NJgrey

So it seems little Ellie has a problem digesting whole rice. What goes in is pretty much what comes out, in addition to some other nastiness. We've been doing less and less rice with her, now about down to none, and her poops are getting better.

She had been on TOTW. We tried all three kinds with her. The salmon one made her very soft, the venison one made her soft and gassy. She did pretty well on the wetlands but it has a lot of protein in it, and I swear her personality was different on the high protein blends - she always seemed a bit more anxious. She's on Solid Gold, the lamb and rice formula, and seems to be tolerating it pretty well. Don't know why she could tolerate rice in kibble and not whole rice, but that seems to be the way it is. Gave her normal spoon of pumpkin with dinner and she seems OK.

Funny thing is, before this whole episode her appetite was on and off, she'd turn her nose up at kibble, and be picky with what she ate and when she ate it. Now she acts like she's starving - scarfs down her food no problem, then spends the next half hr sniffing around for more food to eat. Guess it really cleaned her out and reset her system.