Please Pray For Marx!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to make it easy for you to send stuff to Dr. Couto.

Are you sure they don't have digital images from the ultrasound? They could email them if they do.

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

OSU College of Veterinary Medicine

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757 or (614) 247-8490

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners.

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

Guest wmlcml6

Praying for clean results for Marx. He's one of the coolest looking greyhounds I've seen, and I always look forward to his pictures. HUGS. :-)

Glad for the cautiously optimistic update :) Continued good thoughts for y'all :hope :hope :hope :hope

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

5/21/10 update:

I have emailed Dr. Couto, I still need to get copies of the xrays and other documentation, (will do that Saturday).

Marx is still his normal lazy old man self. He will have surgery on May 27th to remove the what was left, he will be sedated so wider and deepber margins can be obtained. I want to have a full blood workup done as well as a complete TBD panel since his spleen is enlarged.

I'll keep everyone posted. It's been a very rough 2 weeks and now with Lily's health issues we are really being tested...... like every other greyhoumd mommy & daddy you do what you have to do for your fur babies.

Thanks everyone!

Praying for all the missing greys!

Sending hugs, and prayers for your sweet boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Hang in there Karen! Continued good thoughts for both of your babies coming your way. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Here is the reply I received from Dr. Couto (talk about quick, I just sent the email and 4:30 this morning, and he replied and 7:30!)

------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry to hear about your boy (I didn’t get his name). We will be more than glad to look at the Xrays and advise. We do see a fair number of Greyts with HSA, and they do respond well to treatment.I would hold off with the surgery, since he may need chemo (which should be nice and easy on him…), in which case there would be no need to put him (and you) through another surgery. The big spleen is a normal “Greyhound thing”.

Please let me know

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

so it looks like I will hold off on surgery until we confirm there is nothing wonky in his chest. How I hope and pray it's nothing......

Praying for all the missing greys!

Karen, no surgery sounds like a good start! :nod

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest TeddysMom

I'm glad that you heard back from Dr. Couto. I will be keeping Marx in my prayers along with you and your family.

Guest IrskasMom

Dr. Couto rocks.It is a more optimistic Report. It's the Waiting time that is so hard on us . Give that handsome Boy some Hugs and Prayers still on Order .

How is Lily doing ??? :grouphug

Guest Energy11

YES, Dr. Couto ROCKS, and I'd do whatever he advises for any of mine.

That is good that he wants to wait on the surgery.

Sending more love to you and Marx!

:nod Greyhounds do have HUGE spleens...if you have any previous chest xrays of Marx, ask your vet to compare the two. Our old vet wanted to remove Ace's spleen because they thought it was enlarged <_< It was NOT enlarged and in fact was the same size that it was in 2005. Turns out she has chronic lymphocytic leukemia, that's all. Easily treated. I hope the same goes for your Marx :goodluck

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--