Wimp

Guest bob43

Guest MyBoys

I have to agree with greyhoundlady, your pup just needs more time and lots of patience. When we brought Seany home a year and a half ago after he was returned at 10 years old, for some reason he bonded with me quickly and stayed away from DH, if DH would try to pet him he would cower and shake. Little by little DH won him over, giving him treats and lots of praise but not pushing it, If Seany was laying down DH would pass by him and just give him a little ear scratch and keep going, nothing overbearing. If Seany was laying stretched out on the floor DH would sit down next to him, always making sure Seany was awake and just sit there a few minutes and stroke his head. It was all very suttle and lowkey, but now a year and a half later Seany is the first to greet DH comming in the door. Believe me, patience and lots of TLC will win her trust, you just have wait and let it happen naturally. Please let us know how things are going with your girl.

Edited by MyBoys

Guest dragontearz

It took Guinness three months before I could move to touch him without him flinching, and even now 5 years later if I pick up a yardtool or the spatula at the grill, he flinches a bit and moves to a safe distance-he used to be especially afraid of men including me, his owner!

Now, he approaches people, goes out of his way to sniff and make eye contact in hopes of a biscuit or a petting, but only on his terms..Each greyhound is different, some come fresh into a house and act like it's always been that way, some are spooks their whole life..And I wouldn't have it any other way-nothing has made me happier than seeing him come out of his shell to become how he is today.

Bob, for a different reason I had trouble bonding with my female after the loss of a 5 yr old grey. Here's an article I wrote regarding out bonding journey.

You'll have to cut n paste as my old browser doesn't work well in GT.

greytarticles.wordpress.com/activities/agility-as-a-bonding-tool-4310/

Guest gecko_foot

My family, wife, daughter and self, adopted a 3 year old female greyhound at the end of Jan 10'. She, Choko, has bonded well with my wife and daughter, but as for me still distant. When I take her for a walk I'm her best friend, but around the house it is different. She will come to me when called, but soon heads for her bed. Have had some moments of hysteria, what I read on another forum as the greyhound scream of death or GSOD, which has started a feeling of wanting to return the dog. Some of those moments; When I told her to stay, and took hold of her collar she yelped and snapped at me, and most recently tried to cut her nails. Cut two nails on one front paw, no problem then touched the other paw and got the GSOD which turned into cowering from me. Today was chasing her around in the backyard and when she came in went to wipe her front paw and GOSD and went into another room. Wiping her paws is not new, we do that after ever walk without any troubles including this morning. I went into the room she was in and called her again to wipe her paws in the same place and way as after walking, big mistake total freak out! Acted as if I was beating her with a club.

I was the one that wanted the dog not my wife and daughter, but it is not working out so far. I need some suggestions on how to deal with this problem, please.

First of all, take a nice, deep breath. The GSOD doesn't make you a bad person, it just means that your dog isn't 100% comfortable with what you're doing and that you're probably moving forward too quickly. Based on your description, it sounds like Choko is a timid girl who is going to require a lot of extra patience.

I like to address things in lists, so here's the rest of my post :)

1. Because Choko still yelps and screams when you try to cut her nails, it sounds like she's still not quite comfortable with you handling her feet. Is her tail tucked when you wipe her paws? I would hold off actually clipping nails for now and focus instead on forming a positive association with handling. Find a nice treat - i.e. peanut butter - to give her whenever you mess with her. Start with a neutral area (shoulders or back) and rub her gently. Take care not to lean over her. If she stays put, give her a treat. I wouldn't do this for more than 5 minutes so that she doesn't get overwhelmed. Once she is comfortable with you handling neutral areas (falling asleep), then you can move on to more challenging areas - legs, etc.

2. Just be patient. Choko is still adjusting to you, and frustration will only make the situation worse. I know that Tumnus will act out more when I'm stressed than when I'm relaxed. Adopting an adult dog is much more different than adopting a puppy. Puppies are open to everything for a little while, and they quickly learn to love and trust us. Adult dogs simply take more time. Problems don't mean that you're a bad person, it just means that the dog is acclimating.

3. Talk to your adoption group. They are your best resource and should be able to give you some great advice as to how you can approach the situation.

Good luck, and hang in there!

My family, wife, daughter and self, adopted a 3 year old female greyhound at the end of Jan 10'. She, Choko, has bonded well with my wife and daughter, but as for me still distant. When I take her for a walk I'm her best friend, but around the house it is different. She will come to me when called, but soon heads for her bed. Have had some moments of hysteria, what I read on another forum as the greyhound scream of death or GSOD, which has started a feeling of wanting to return the dog. Some of those moments; When I told her to stay, and took hold of her collar she yelped and snapped at me, and most recently tried to cut her nails. Cut two nails on one front paw, no problem then touched the other paw and got the GSOD which turned into cowering from me. Today was chasing her around in the backyard and when she came in went to wipe her front paw and GOSD and went into another room. Wiping her paws is not new, we do that after ever walk without any troubles including this morning. I went into the room she was in and called her again to wipe her paws in the same place and way as after walking, big mistake total freak out! Acted as if I was beating her with a club.

I was the one that wanted the dog not my wife and daughter, but it is not working out so far. I need some suggestions on how to deal with this problem, please.

First of all, take a nice, deep breath. The GSOD doesn't make you a bad person, it just means that your dog isn't 100% comfortable with what you're doing and that you're probably moving forward too quickly. Based on your description, it sounds like Choko is a timid girl who is going to require a lot of extra patience.

I like to address things in lists, so here's the rest of my post :)

1. Because Choko still yelps and screams when you try to cut her nails, it sounds like she's still not quite comfortable with you handling her feet. Is her tail tucked when you wipe her paws? I would hold off actually clipping nails for now and focus instead on forming a positive association with handling. Find a nice treat - i.e. peanut butter - to give her whenever you mess with her. Start with a neutral area (shoulders or back) and rub her gently. Take care not to lean over her. If she stays put, give her a treat. I wouldn't do this for more than 5 minutes so that she doesn't get overwhelmed. Once she is comfortable with you handling neutral areas (falling asleep), then you can move on to more challenging areas - legs, etc.

2. Just be patient. Choko is still adjusting to you, and frustration will only make the situation worse. I know that Tumnus will act out more when I'm stressed than when I'm relaxed. Adopting an adult dog is much more different than adopting a puppy. Puppies are open to everything for a little while, and they quickly learn to love and trust us. Adult dogs simply take more time. Problems don't mean that you're a bad person, it just means that the dog is acclimating.

3. Talk to your adoption group. They are your best resource and should be able to give you some great advice as to how you can approach the situation.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Guest lynne893

Hi Bob,

Welcome to Greytalk!

It takes time to bond with a new dog and moreover, for the new dog to bond to you and the family. It's tough going some days!

If you're like me, I second guess myself constantly, feel guilty and bad about things, think I'm doing everything wrong, worry that no one (including the dog!) likes me, etc., so when I get a new dog, I'm a basket case! Full of anxiety, and every interaction I have that doesn't go perfectly smoothly, I analyze it to the N-th degree.

It makes for being a new dog owner pretty difficult and frustrating! Makes you think that perhaps this bond isn't right...

Give it time. With time, Choko will come around to things. In spite of everything you may be hearing so far from the greyhound community, greyhounds are still dogs and they're pretty resilient! She doesn't hate you because you touched her paws :) Don't worry, that hasn't permanently ruined things. The GSOD is frightening, I know, but it happens from time to time. Even when you've had a hound for years, they sometimes revert back to behaviors you'd expect from a new dog.

Our Timber was always just FINE with us handling her feet, clipping nails, etc. Then, around age 8, she became really freaked out about it and pulled her paws away, jerked back, and screamed. I think it was undiagnosed corns on the pads of her feet (which are supposedly excruciating!). I don't blame her. But it was weird because she'd always been fine. Even though I'd had her for years, when that behavior started, it really scared me and made me feel terrible. My anxiety about having to clip her nails lead her to be more freaked out about the process. Animals can really sense anxiety and frustration.

Don't worry, you chose a wonderful breed and I bet in a year or so, you'll never want to adopt any other kind of dog!

Come back here for advice in any of the sections of the forums, whenever you need to.

Go slowly, gently, sweetly with her. Lots of good snacks and treats. Have you bought any fun toys for her? They LOVE furry squeaky toys! :)

Have fun with her-- keep an upbeat fun attitude! Enjoy your dog and she will, in time, love being in your family!!

Guest Greytluv

:welcome2

You will find a lot of good advice on here. Like everyone has said, give Choko more time. She'll come around.

Just remember people on here are VERY passionate (and sometimes anal wink.gif) about Greyhounds :)

Guest Shermanator

Patton's a screamer. Oh, Lord he screams at EVERYTHING. Patton has learned that when he screams, he gets attention. :blink:

For example- Patton hates getting his ears cleaned. I put the solution in, and start to massage. He'll start to scream, and at first, I dropped everything, stopped cleaning, smothered him with kisses, and abandoned the ear cleaning. Therefore Patton learned that screaming will stop ear cleanings. Silly dog. Since several screaming starts to ear cleaning, he realizes I mean business, and he stops, and simply stands there giving me the stink eye. :rolleyes:

BTW- I know it is not pain. We have been round and round with this vet over his ears. :)

Guest Swifthounds

Patton's a screamer. Oh, Lord he screams at EVERYTHING. Patton has learned that when he screams, he gets attention. :blink:

For example- Patton hates getting his ears cleaned. I put the solution in, and start to massage. He'll start to scream, and at first, I dropped everything, stopped cleaning, smothered him with kisses, and abandoned the ear cleaning. Therefore Patton learned that screaming will stop ear cleanings. Silly dog. Since several screaming starts to ear cleaning, he realizes I mean business, and he stops, and simply stands there giving me the stink eye. :rolleyes:

BTW- I know it is not pain. We have been round and round with this vet over his ears. :)

Yes, hounds use vocalizing when they're uncomfortable (scared, intimidated) by something they're not comfortable with people doing because, well, usually it works - it stops the person. I can't tell you how many times I dremeled or trimmed strangers' dogs who "wouldn't let them cut her nails." Funny what happens when you stop reacting.

As an aside, most of the "ear cleaning" solutions of the variety where you dump in liquid and do the "washing machine" effect to clean ears actually do cause discomfort ranging from mild irritation to more severe. They do clean the ears, but they do it by killing everything in the ear canal - good and bad. They never "solve" ear problems, but just keep them in check - which seems to work just fine for vets and people don't question it. A cotton swab with a bit of olive oil or olive/lavendar oil will clean nicely without irritation. Hijack over.

Guest gecko_foot

I got really lucky with Tumnus. He's pretty confident around people and just about any other dog (even the ankle-biters) :lol, so most of the things I have to do to him aren't a big deal. That being said, if he really doesn't want me to do something, the goober will whine and act like I'm killing him even though I know it's not hurting him at all. It doesn't happen often, but boy is Tumnus a wimp. All of my other dogs have been stoic herding breeds, so a greyhound was a big adjustment. I have to admit that the greyhound "wimpiness" has been very helpful for finding and isolating medical problems that I might have missed with any other dog breed.

Now I just have to figure out how to fatten him up...Anyone got any ideas? I swear I feed him!

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

Sorry! I couldn't resist!

BTW I love Patton's name! Assuming you named him after General Patton, the name is kind of ironic for a greyhound. :)

Edited by gecko_foot

Guest sweetpea

Now I just have to figure out how to fatten him up...Anyone got any ideas? I swear I feed him!

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

Sorry! I couldn't resist!

BTW I love Patton's name! Assuming you named him after General Patton, the name is kind of ironic for a greyhound. :)

From these pictures I think Tumnus looks fine.

My girl is very good at self-regulating, she eats until she's full, sometimes that's the whole scoop of food,

sometimes it's less than half. Every vet visit she comes in right at 60 lbs, I guess she must know what she's doing. ;)

Buzzy

eta sorry for the hijack squared, back to Choko and how to help her human understand her better.

Edited by sweetpea

Guest Shermanator

Yup, and his brother's name is Sherman. Hence "Shermanator!"

A cotton swab with a bit of olive oil or olive/lavendar oil will clean nicely without irritation. Hijack over.

Ohh! I'll try it!

Edited by Shermanator

Guest Greytluv

I put the solution in, and start to massage. He'll start to scream

I always warm the solution before putting it in their ears. Usually I put the solution on the cotton. Putting cold fluid in the ear is not a pleasant experience.

Guest Swifthounds

IMG_3758.jpg

IMG_3622.jpg

If this is the hound, he needs no weight. In fact, he has a bit too much fat covering in the rear. I might take a bit of fat off through some extra walks, but I wouldn't add any weight to his frame.

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Geco Foot,

"I got really lucky with Tumnus. He's pretty confident around people and just about any other dog (even the ankle-biters) , so most of the things I have to do to him aren't a big deal. That being said, if he really doesn't want me to do something, the goober will whine and act like I'm killing him even though I know it's not hurting him at all. It doesn't happen often, but boy is Tumnus a wimp. All of my other dogs have been stoic herding breeds, so a greyhound was a big adjustment. I have to admit that the greyhound "wimpiness" has been very helpful for finding and isolating medical problems that I might have missed with any other dog breed."

I believe you are mistaking his whinning for pain, its not. Greyhounds in my opinion are more stoic about real pain than just about any other breed out there. Have you ever seen a greyhound race after it has broken its leg? Yes they will continue to chase even after a severe hock shatter, no crying, no screaming, just drive. My boy Bart was racing around the back yard and literally ripped his dew claw off, it was hanging on by the quick, he never made a sound, the only way I knew to check was blood running down his leg. This is the same boy that if he steps on a shoe, he screams. Its not pain they whine/scream about, its being startled or a fear thing. Totally different in my opinion.

Chad

My best advice is to remember that GH's are VERY sensitive dogs,despite their rough & tumble life at the track- pushing & shoving to be first across the finish line. Be patient & be gentle. It is so worth it... :)

Carol-Glendale, AZ

Trolley (Figsiza Trollyn)

Nevada 1992-2008...always in my heart

Guest gecko_foot

I believe you are mistaking his whinning for pain, its not. Greyhounds in my opinion are more stoic about real pain than just about any other breed out there. Have you ever seen a greyhound race after it has broken its leg? Yes they will continue to chase even after a severe hock shatter, no crying, no screaming, just drive. My boy Bart was racing around the back yard and literally ripped his dew claw off, it was hanging on by the quick, he never made a sound, the only way I knew to check was blood running down his leg. This is the same boy that if he steps on a shoe, he screams. Its not pain they whine/scream about, its being startled or a fear thing. Totally different in my opinion.

Chad

Based on some of the stuff I've heard about greyhound racing, you couldn't pay me enough to get within a hundred miles of a track - unless I was transporting dogs for a rescue group. I totally agree with you that they will whine and scream about nothing. As I said in the previous post, I know Tumnus isn't in pain when he whines - he's just trying to get pity points. I just look at him and tell him to be a man. He usually quiets down then. :lol

If this is the hound, he needs no weight. In fact, he has a bit too much fat covering in the rear. I might take a bit of fat off through some extra walks, but I wouldn't add any weight to his frame.

Believe it or not, that's actually muscle. I think the picture is at a bad angle, but it's all muscle on that naked rear end. I'm glad to hear that everyone thinks he looks good. I just keep seeing ribs when I stare at him, and it drives me nuts.

Sorry for additional hijacking!

Edited by gecko_foot

Guest 2greygirls

I hope some of the advice given helps...it's also possible that the kennel your girl came from was run by women, she may be just more used to women, men can be scary as mentioned before for various reasons...

IT is true that greys tend to be very stoic about actual injuries,not that they won't scream when hurt, but they will scream for the strangest things. One time I was walking an active racer to pee before weigh-in..and he suddenly jerked his front paw up and started screaming, I though, crap he stepped on a bee or something..upon closer examination..no sting, he just stepped in a warm fresh pile of soft poo... from another dog. I think we all almost fell over laughing. Wiped off the poo and he was fine :lol

Read the excerpt about their racing life..do not expect these dogs to be as subservient as a lab that has been in a house since weaning, these dogs have a very well developed sense of self. They don't like to be man handled.

She'll come 'round, just be patient, and respect her fear as legitimate, she's probably never been out of sight of another hound her whole life, things are very different for her.

good luck!

No kidding about the man-handling part. Capri's one of those bomb-proof dogs, my meet and greet girl. I can touch her anywhere. We brush her teeth with her lying on her side on the floor, because she fusses in any other position. So in order to brush the other side, we had to flip her over. We did this for about four months just fine, no complaints. Then suddenly she got growly and snappy when we tried to flip her. So then I knew it was time to learn "roll over". :colgate

Sharon, Loki, Freyja, Capri (bridge angel and most beloved heart dog), Ajax (bridge angel) and Sweetie Pie (cat)

Visit Hound-Safe.com by Something Special Pet Supplies for muzzles and other dog safety products

:gh_bow

IT is true that greys tend to be very stoic about actual injuries,not that they won't scream when hurt, but they will scream for the strangest things.

For years (she did eventually get better) you could make Zema scream if you looked at her the wrong way. Obedience trainer did it by accident once in class, poor lady, she kept insisting? marveling? "But I didn't even touch her!" as if I didn't believe her. She was @ 4 feet away ......

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.