He Ate A Small Dead Squirrel

Guest greytmiles

Guest greytmiles

Ahhhh nothing starts the day like going outside whilst half-asleep at 5am, and watching my lightning fast dog pick up, chomp up, and swallow a small dead squirrel...tail and all. :jaw

I think it was probably dead within the last 12 hours, b/c we walked that route last night and I didn't see anything there. I figure it either fell out of the tree or got clocked by a car. It was a small young one, and not one of the (huge!) adults we've got here in suburbia. He definitely chewed it a bit (crunch! crunch!). :sick

Miles is up to date on all shots, and is given Interceptor monthly. Almost 2 hours later and he seems fine... no vomit, no change in behavior, no excessive drinking, and he ate his regular breakfast with his usual gusto.

Should I be concerned? Or just watch and wait and act accordingly?

Ewww.

Erin

I've often trotted out the story of Poodle doing the "Timmy fell down the well" whine and walk away and return on fine spring day. When he got me out to the deck there was Rex calmly munching on the back half of a freshly killed squirrel. Ratted out by his little brother.

The only damage was to his mother's mental state. I made him drop it and locked him in the house until my neighbor could remove the carnage.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Wait and watch, but I doubt you'll see any ill effects other than perhaps your own queasiness. :lol He didn't really catch it, but he probably thinks he did - and I'll bet he's pretty pleased with himself.

Guest broodies4me

Working in a vet's office, we see this a lot! just had a rottie who came in that ate the head of a groundhog! Eww. All, i can say is watch and make sure he passes the bones. The squirrel was tiny enough that he should be able to with no problems! Good luck.

Gross, but not dangerous!

I suppose you might want to at least CALL the vet and find out if you can catch parasites from ingesting squirrel!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Energy11

I got one up on ya! Staggerlee ate 1/2 of a RAT once in Florida!!! eek.gif

I just watched him, as he was current on his Rabies vaccine, and all. I did wonder if he'd get tapeworms, but, luckily, he didn't. I'd keep an eye out for tapeworm segments, but all in all, he should be fine!

Guest ShanYu

Nike's 'disgusting snacks" have included a long dead rat and very stiff, very crunchy and very dead squirrel.... no ill effects....

Guest greytmiles

Ugh! Rats and groundhog heads most definitely trump teenage squirrels. :lol

I guess one big positive from this experience is that it's helping me get over my hesitation/nervousness about feeding him raw turkey necks! They've just been waiting in the freezer so far.

Thank for the support!

Erin

Edited by greytmiles