Roxie Eve Hurt Here Foot...silly Girl!

Guest DundeeToddsMom

Guest DundeeToddsMom

We let Roxie outside to potty around 7:30pm, she walked out and then zoom :gh_run2 ....started doing her laps around the yard that she loves to do. All of the sudden I hear the GSOD and she's stops...lifts her front paw and stands there. I notice something looks strange...her outside toe on her right paw is sticking out sideways :jaw . DH quickly started massage her foot and the toe went back in. We iced it that night and gave her a tramadol...thought we would just watch her.

The next am the foot is swollen and bruised across her other toes and painful. I called the vet and got in within the first hour of them opening. They took Xrays and guess what...no disclocated toe....it's broken. She smashed the first joint together and the break is above the second joint.

Now Roxie has a splint/cast on her front paw. She goes back in one week for a re-check and then probably 4 weeks for another x-ray. They said maybe 8 to 10 weeks for the splint.

Now she's hoping around not using her front paw. When my Angel Dundee has surgery on his front wrist and had the cast on...I thought he walked with it. She's on Tramadol and Dermax now. She doesn't like to go out and potty...she just wants to lay around and sleep (..more than normal!)

We have a lab that had surgery the day before two have 3 masses removed...so we have an infermery going as my DH said!!

I feel bad that we didn't rush her to the E-vet that night...I hope she starts walking on it soon.

Good luck to you guys - sounds like you have your hands full! I think most of us would have done what you did with the paw massage and pain meds and the important thing is that you took her in as soon as you knew something was really not right! Hang in there!

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Energy11

There was NO way for you to know it wasn't a dislocated toe. What you are describing, happened to my Curfew ... it was a dislocated, and healed itself. I didin't rush him to the vet, either.

You did all the right things, and a lot of dogs HATE walking with casts on! Just give it time, and everything should be ok.

Sending lots of love, hugs and prayers!