Foley May Have Cancer

Foley started limping a few days ago so got her to the vet this morning. X-rays showed an old bone chip in her shoulder and that is where she is owy. As I looked at the film, I saw an ominous spot lower down on her leg - yep, could be cancer but without a biopsy, can't be sure. Foley is 10 this year and I don't want to subject her to a lot of procedures. She's on Rimadyl and Tramadol twice daily and we go back in 2 weeks.

If it is the "C" word, we will keep her comfy as long as possible.

My heart is just overwhelmed with this!!:weep:weep

pepsi-2009.jpg?t=1262016678

Guest MyBoys

Sending many prayers and positive thoughts for Foley, I hope and pray :hope it is not that serious.

Edited by MyBoys

:goodluck:hope

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Praying it's just an odd spot and turns out to be nothing at all. Can imagine how worried you must be.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Yikes! :( Hoping it's nothing serious. :hope Sending loads of light to your precious girlie and to you and your family. :heart

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

Hoping that the spot doesn't get any bigger or more ominous. :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13), Grey Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23)

Guest Adrianne

Oh no! Well, we will just think positively and not even speak the dreaded C word. Hugs to you and ear scritches to Foley.

Guest Heehoo

Praying it's just an odd spot and turns out to be nothing at all. Can imagine how worried you must be.

Staying positive that its just a bone chip. I agree with you...just keep her comfortable

and do a lot of loving on her.

When Dear & Gogh were diagnosed with cancer (hermangio sarcoma for Dear,

osteo for Gogh)...I took a lot of pictures & made memories. I kept a journal for

each of them also.

We're here for you.

Hilda

I am so sorry Foley might have the dreaded C.

If you would like to get a second opinion, you can email or mail the xrays to Dr. Couto's team at OSU. They will provide an email or phone consult at no charge. If you decide to check it out further, they typically recommend a fine needle aspiration (done without general anesthesia). They typically do not recommend a biopsy (requires anesthesia, painful, and may damage the bone).

Here is the info:

OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program:

Phone: (614) 247-6757

Email: greyosu@osu.edu

This email goes to the team. If Dr. Couto is traveling, you may get a quicker answer from one of his team members. Drs. Marin and Zaldivar typically respond to greyhound owners.

Dr. Couto, Department Head, Greyhound Medicine, Oncolology and Hematology

Dr. Lili Marin, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. Sara Zaldivar, Greyhound Health and Oncology

Dr. William Kisselberth, Oncology

Dr. Cheryl London, Oncology

Dr. Cristina Iazbik, Blood Bank Director and Hematologist

Dr. Bridget Urie, Oncology Resident

Dr. Matt Sherger, Oncology Resident

Dawn Hudson, Vet Tech

Ashley DeFelice, Vet Tech

Stacey Gallant, Vet Tech

Drs Marin and Zaldivar are originally from Spanish speaking countries. If you have trouble understanding them over the phone, you might ask for one of the other vets or vet techs to “translate”.

Dr. Couto's direct email is:

couto.1@osu.edu

His phone number is also 614-247-6757. If he is in town, he typically returns emails in the early hours of the morning.

You should know that (in my humble opinion) they need more staff. Unfortunately finances do not permit it at this time. I think they do about 20 consults a day along with all of their "in canine" patients. There is no charge for phone/email consultations. Depending on their workload there may be a wait for the consultation.

If you decide to visit OSU please contact me. I may be able to put you up in a local home, provide moral support, or just help with logistics:

Finewhipador-drool@yahoo.com

The main number for the veterinary hospital is 614-292-3551

Jane

Prayers for Foley and your family. You've been through so much lately, I hope this turns out to be nothing serious. As others have said, I'd contact Dr. Couto's team immediately.

Hugs,

Donna

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04