Humping

Guest meekyno1

Guest meekyno1

hi everybody

first post on here but needed some advice, iv had 2 greyhounds now for nearly a year and they are the best of friends and get on like a house on fire. they have both been done and we have had no problems with them doing this previously but the past week our neighbours have had a puppy greyhound, and obviously they are both very interested in the smell and sound of the puppy next door, gabby our bitch now keeps trying to hump sam and sam being one of the biggest greyhounds i have ever seen gets incredibly angry with this and i am slightly worried he may one day go for her. i was wandering if this has possibly happened to anybody else or if anybody can give me any advice what to do. as i can control them both as i am quite a large person myself but my parter is quite small and is slightly worried if they decided to have a go at each oter while i was not here she may not be able to control them, any help would be m,uch apreciated.

thank you very much

Adam + Bev

Sam + gabby

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Hi and Welcome.

If your Greyhounds have been spayed and neutered then humping is an expression of dominance. Your female is trying to show she's dominant over your male which in the Greyhound world is fairly common. If your Greyhounds aren't spayed/neutered then humping is a sexual behavior. In either way usually the dogs work things out amongst themselves. If you're worried try using a verbal command to get her from doing it.

Guest meekyno1

hi spencer

thanks for your help, yes they have been sprayed/netered, so you dont think that this is a sign she wants to be a mother? that was the first thought that crossed our minds we didnt know if it was an agressive act because of the new pup or if she wanted to breed

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Just muzzle them both when they are outside, so if the do decide to "work" things out, you dont have to worry.

Chad