Lots Of Prayers Needed For Yoko (Friend's Grey)

Guest Energy11

Guest KennelMom
He nipped her, so they took care of that by feeding in different rooms.

And therein lies the problem. They didn't actually "take care" of anything...they put a band-aid on the problem and it, unfortunately, manifested in another area. Muzzles are also a band-aid, but definitely a pre-caution they should take moving forward.

Good luck to them and I hope their girl comes out of this ok....

Other than muzzling, what would you suggest? The vet already suggested a behaviorist. And, yes, ... they are focusing on their girl getting through this right now.

Well, it's kinda hard to say b/c I don't know their dogs or their situation or how they run their pack...but some general thoughts:

Growling over one's bowl is not necessarily aggression. It would be extremely rude and unacceptable for a dog to "bowl jump"...meaning, leave their bowl and start taking over another dog's bowl. In that case, I would *expect* a dog to "defend" their food...and in that case, the human should be supervising and preventing any bowl jumping. If the dog is just wandering by and the dog growls b/c they come close...that kind of thing tends to wind down over time as the dog acclimates to the pack and learns that they don't need to protect their food from packmates.

Being protective over the water bowl is probably more generalized resource guarding...even dogs from the track are used to sharing a bucket of water with other dogs. So, the owners are either making a bad assumption that the water bowl started the spat, or the dog just needs to learn some manners. If it's the former, it's hard to say...without knowing the exact cause, we're really just guessing and possibly placing blame where it does not belong. If it's the latter, NILIF (for all the dogs) is a good place to start. Some *non competitive* pack activities are great...walking together, side by side - NOT free running in the yard. Walking bonds, while the running can get competitive. Other than that, I'd really have to see the dogs and see the humans and how they all interact together.

I find it interesting that you said "He has been fine, except for some food aggression toward one of their females (*she has three)." Why the one female and not the others? What was the female doing? I would suspect there is more to the story, but the owners may not be "seeing" it (very common)...I've often found existing dogs are often given a "pass" or benefit of the doubt when new dogs come in. And often times, they are the ones directing the subtle darts and jabs and bad juju at the new hound.

Edited by KennelMom

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Energy11
He nipped her, so they took care of that by feeding in different rooms.

And therein lies the problem. They didn't actually "take care" of anything...they put a band-aid on the problem and it, unfortunately, manifested in another area. Muzzles are also a band-aid, but definitely a pre-caution they should take moving forward.

Good luck to them and I hope their girl comes out of this ok....

Other than muzzling, what would you suggest? The vet already suggested a behaviorist. And, yes, ... they are focusing on their girl getting through this right now.

Well, it's kinda hard to say b/c I don't know their dogs or their situation or how they run their pack...but some general thoughts:

Growling over one's bowl is not necessarily aggression. It would be extremely rude and unacceptable for a dog to "bowl jump"...meaning, leave their bowl and start taking over another dog's bowl. In that case, I would *expect* a dog to "defend" their food...and in that case, the human should be supervising and preventing any bowl jumping. If the dog is just wandering by and the dog growls b/c they come close...that kind of thing tends to wind down over time as the dog acclimates to the pack and learns that they don't need to protect their food from packmates.

Being protective over the water bowl is probably more generalized resource guarding...even dogs from the track are used to sharing a bucket of water with other dogs. So, the owners are either making a bad assumption that the water bowl started the spat, or the dog just needs to learn some manners. If it's the former, it's hard to say...without knowing the exact cause, we're really just guessing and possibly placing blame where it does not belong. If it's the latter, NILIF (for all the dogs) is a good place to start. Some *non competitive* pack activities are great...walking together, side by side - NOT free running in the yard. Walking bonds, while the running can get competitive. Other than that, I'd really have to see the dogs and see the humans and how they all interact together.

I find it interesting that you said "He has been fine, except for some food aggression toward one of their females (*she has three)." Why the one female and not the others? What was the female doing? I would suspect there is more to the story, but the owners may not be "seeing" it (very common)...I've often found existing dogs are often given a "pass" or benefit of the doubt when new dogs come in. And often times, they are the ones directing the subtle darts and jabs and bad juju at the new hound.

Yes, when you are not in the room, one can only assume what happened. I know since adopting him, they've been walking all four together ... everyday, I think, and he is a true gentleman. Well, let's just hope Yoko pulls through and they can go from there.

Still no word.

:candle

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Thanks for the good update! It's not over, though, so continued prayers coming Yoko's way. hope.gif

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Updated post from Lynette:

I think Dee misunderstood me when I called her early this morning. I did see Thunder attack Yoko and I was able to break it up. I pulled Thunder off Yoko who was pinned to the carpet. Yoko did not fight back. A week ago Monday Thunder went after Cassy, but it was just a nip. Both Yoko and Cassy never growled at Thunder when he attack them. I gated the dogs off from day one when feeding them and watch the new dog Thunder. I did not have any food in the dishes that where on the counter top. It was a water bowl Thunder had an issue with when he attacked Yoko. Yoko headed to the living room to try and avoid Thunder. When I got Thunder, he was working out very well. Thunder did not show any aggression. My three female greyhounds just love him. Yoko was drinking water and just being her happy self. I do not have any alpha females. My retired Brood, Spring was helping Thunder feel secure in his new home. We just love Thunder and he is a sweetheart. I do not know what caused him to snap. I am taking Thunder back to the group. The group is bringing Thunder to the vet to get a check up. I told them that my vet suggested an animal behaviorist for Thunder. I know Thunder is very thin. We are not sure if there is something wrong with his health or he is just skinny. I am completely heartbroken. I just had my senior Greyhound, Guy, sent to the bridge in March. I thought I would bring in another greyhound for my girls and us, and this happens.

Yoko's vet bills are so expensive I will not be able to adopt another greyhound for a long time. I need Yoko, my heart dog, to get well. My poor little Yoko, she was so happy this morning.
Yoko is doing fine after surgery and there are no broken ribs. She had a torn chest muscle and is on pain medication. Yoko has 4 drain tubes in her and is put on antibiotics. Yoko has a long road ahead of her. Thank you so much for all of your well wishes and your prayers!

YOKO STILL NEEDS YOUR PRAYERS, and so do Lynette and Ron. Thanks! Dee

Truly heartbreaking. Sending prayers and hopes for steady healing of body and spirits both.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

YES, it is VERY heartbreaking! Thanks for all of your support.

This family has been through too much, both hounds and humans! sad.gif

Guest TeddysMom

That is all so sad Dee, for humans and pups alike. I hope that Thunder gets checked out good and finds the perfect home for him. I'm happy to hear that Yoko made it through the surgery and I will be praying for a fast and easy healing. Let Lynette and Ron know that there are an awful lot of prayers and good thoughts being sent to them.

Sending prayers and healing thoughts for Yoko.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

continuing to send prayers for Yoko, and also for Thunder. I'm glad Yoko came through the surgery ok.

how sad for the family :( :( :(

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Guest Bean_Scotch

Continued prayers for all. I'm happy to hear that Yoko pulled through on Surgery and hope she continues to improve!

sorry to be a wet blanket. I do however have once concern...bringing a new dog into the pack can be difficult on existing pack members...wouldn't it be beneficial to muzzle everyone until everyone sure they all will get along? I mean 15.00 muzzle or emergency vet? Also, taking on the role of pack leader...I remember just recently when a group brought down a dog for her to adopt... The dog did nip at either her dogs or her and she subsequently didn't adopt her...something tells me she needs to take the role of pack leader and establish the ground rules of the pack before she can expect the dogs to behave and co-habitate without problems. You can't expect a dog to get along perfectly with a pack when it's only been there 2 weeks. Muzzles would have probably saved a lot of stress both monetary/emotionally. JMHO anyway.