Piper Is Making Me Nervous

Guest greyhound9797

Guest greyhound9797

Piper is almost 13, raw fed, no vax in the last 3 years and has always been in good health.

In the past 3 months she has had 5 accidents at night - 4 times peeing and once pooping. For the last 6 months or so she has been quivering in her hind end when she stands still but doesn't have any problems laying down or getting up. It's been very hot in Florida, low 90's, and she doesn't stay outside long but she has been drinking a lot of water and when she pants it is hoarse sounding. She was diagnosed with a grade 2 heart murmur several years ago but when I had her at the vet last week for some itching issues the vet wasn't able to listen

to her heart because of how loudly she was panting. She is eating and acting her normal self. She had a senior blood panel done about 2 years ago and everything was normal.

Is this a common senior problem? Anything I need to be overly concerned about?

Sandra in FL

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I agree with the urine sample.

As far as the quivering hind end. I think that's pretty normal for an older hound.

The occasional "found treasure" aka poop. I also think as they get up in age it happens.

My Brookie is 13 1/2 and just over the last month or so it seems like the urge to poop just hits her.

It's not very often but on occasion she will be standing waiting on cookies and it's like she has an "oh no" moment where she needs to poop right then.

Most of the time it's just one nugget and then she heads right outside to finish up.

Guest Energy11

Might be a good idea to get a urine sample in to the vet

I would say a urine sample, and FULL senior blood panel to start. I'd have the vet do a blood pressure on her, and a vet can listen to a dog's heart with panting. You qently hold the snout closed for a minute, to permit a good listen. Works everytime with mine.

Good luck, and hope you get to the bottom of this soon!