Opinions On Book About Managing Prey Drive

Guest eaglflyt

I just bought this from Dogwise and it just arrived so I haven't started reading it yet. I bought it for the same reason - recommended by Patricia McConnell and from what I read via the Table of Contents and write-up, it sounds like an interesting read.

Pat

Ooh, looks like this might be quite good. Let us know what you guys think!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest eaglflyt

I bought the ebook version (only $9.95) so it arrived immediately. I just scanned through it last night, but plan to seriously start reading today. I'll keep everyone posted.

Guest eaglflyt

I'm about 1/2 way through the book. I can highly recommend it! It has many great exercises and techniques to help in managing your dog's prey drive and aids the hound in wanting to stay near you. The sausage tree idea is awesome!

I'm going to finish with the initial read through, then go through again working the exercises in sequence. This will keep us busy for quite some time! :)

I can say it is well worth the price. If we had taken a class on this, I'm sure it would have been very long and very expensive. ;) Don't get me wrong, I love taking classes with Ady Bea. But, when we can work on so many things at home that add to her safety, I'm all for it. We're saving our time and $ for upcoming Rally and Canine Freestyle classes ... and maybe a little agility. :D

'

Guest eaglflyt

I haven't completed the book yet, but it has loads of incremental steps to train impulse and distraction control. There are multiple exercises to train the dog that it is always much more rewarding to stay right with/near its human than to go after a prey item. There is also a strong focus on the quality and maximization of the bond with your hound, including specific play and games and other exercises. Alternative recall methods are also worked a great deal.

Overall it's a book with multiple ideas and reinforcement exercises presented in an incremental fashion. Many of these ideas I had never read or heard before. If you work through the exercises fully, it will take lots of work, dedication and quite a long time. Just as with any dog training, it will need long term reinforcement of the skills learned.

I do think this is very beneficial. I think it would have great advantages, even if it didn't make a hound 100% chase proof. I'm sure it will help swing the odds in *owner keeping hound* favor.

Oh, and the book is entirely positive training techniques ... NO punishment training methods. :colgate

Guest greytmiles

I haven't completed the book yet, but it has loads of incremental steps to train impulse and distraction control. There are multiple exercises to train the dog that it is always much more rewarding to stay right with/near its human than to go after a prey item. There is also a strong focus on the quality and maximization of the bond with your hound, including specific play and games and other exercises. Alternative recall methods are also worked a great deal.

Overall it's a book with multiple ideas and reinforcement exercises presented in an incremental fashion. Many of these ideas I had never read or heard before. If you work through the exercises fully, it will take lots of work, dedication and quite a long time. Just as with any dog training, it will need long term reinforcement of the skills learned.

I do think this is very beneficial. I think it would have great advantages, even if it didn't make a hound 100% chase proof. I'm sure it will help swing the odds in *owner keeping hound* favor.

Oh, and the book is entirely positive training techniques ... NO punishment training methods. :colgate

Sounds pretty great! Thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! :thumbs-up

Plus i'm super curious to find out all about this "sausage tree." :lol

I'm going to DL the e-book now.

Erin

Guest Swifthounds

Sounds like a good book. I might pick up a copy (yeah, I still like the actual paper in my hands - and no way can I afford a Kindle, or Nook, or iPad...)

I've always wondered why, of all the "greyhound adoption manuals" out there, I've never seen one devoted to training hounds not to chase, to recall on command, or how to make them less reactive to small furries. It would seem that this would be beneficial for those adopting high prey drive hounds. The ease with which high prey hounds are adopted to folks who simply don't have cats has always seemed like a big risk. It also encourages the erroneous thinking that those of us with small animals need to accommodate the high prey hounds. OK, hijack over.