Problem Near Rectum

I noticed Dylans rectum looked red and swollen today. I lifted his tail and noticed a small red bump. It looks like he has a bite or cut maybe. I have an appointment with the vet this afternoon, but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions?? It really looks like a hemmroid bulging out. It's only on the right side of the rectum...Any thoughts?? It was not there yesterday as I always looks when he poops to make sure he is clean.

Edited by Newgreymom

Guest Energy11

I am also thinking an infected anal gland.

This is something the vet had to address, if that is what it is. Might want to get him looked at. Good Luck! This kind of stuff is never fun, poor guy!

Well, we just got back from the vet. It is an absecced anal gland. I'm freaking out right now. They expressed both glands and said they were like toothpaste. They injected panalog into the absecced one and he is on Clavamox. I gave him a Tramadol also as he is very uncomfortable. Any advise??

Well, we just got back from the vet. It is an absecced anal gland. I'm freaking out right now. They expressed both glands and said they were like toothpaste. They injected panalog into the absecced one and he is on Clavamox. I gave him a Tramadol also as he is very uncomfortable. Any advise??

Guest eaglflyt

If it's OK with your vet, you could alternate a warm, moist pack to the area and switch with cool packs. I did that after Ady Bea's episioplasty surgery and it relieved her discomfort a great deal. Be sure they aren't TOO hot or TOO cold.

I don't have any advise about what to do right now, but once it's healed I would keep a good eye on things. If he starts to have trouble pooping or drags his butt or licks his butt a lot, then bring him to the vet to express his glands. Also, if it smells really bad, once he's allowed to be bathed, bathe with some dish soap back there and it should help the smell.

I hope he feels better soon.

Edited by Sambuca

Gracie had a ruptured anal gland. I had no idea she had a problem as she really wasn't licking the area much.

My vet said while it looked yucky, it gave her much relief to have finally ruptured. She was treated with antibiotics and it healed quickly.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Here's what Gracie's ruptured gland looked like:

DSC02970_edited.jpg

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

:eek eewww!,, but good picture! I've always wondered what that might look like,, but ~ eeewww!!!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest LindsaySF

Teagan infected anal glands. They also injected antibiotic ointment into the glands. It took a few treatments to work. The oral antibiotics alone didn't help at all. Good luck!

Gracie had a ruptured anal gland. I had no idea she had a problem as she really wasn't licking the area much.

My vet said while it looked yucky, it gave her much relief to have finally ruptured. She was treated with antibiotics and it healed quickly.

My IG has blown glands twice, last time both at once! She never spends an excess of time licking and she never drags...I usually find a little bloody spot on her blanket and then start The Search for the source...

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest greytmiles

:eek eewww!,, but good picture! I've always wondered what that might look like,, but ~ eeewww!!!

LMAO!! It's as though you typed a transcript of my very reaction the moment I saw the photo. :jaw

Good to know the exact location though. If Miles has been paying too much.. uh... attention to his rear, I'll usually take a look. Problem is, I never really knew where/what I was looking for - now i do!! :lol

Erin