Can Anyone Suggest A Good Salve?

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

Houdini had bald, rough elbows. Can anyone suggest a good salve or cream I can use that I don't have to be worried about if she licks it?

Guest cheltzey

Lando's got those callused elbows, and the vet said to just leave them and they would soften over time. I'm interested to hear what people post, though!

Bag Balm or udder cream

gallery_4518_2903_10073.jpg

Take the time to stop and smell the flowers - appreciate your everyday ordinary miracles

Carolyn, Faith, Jeff Gordon (aka Jeffy) and Oscar the chilla. Desperately missing our Stella, we'll see you later sweet girl.

Bag Balm or udder cream

Works amazingly on their pads anyway, for us. Haven't tried it anywhere else. We apply generously and rub in well, while they're resting and relaxed.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest DylanGospel

Bag Balm or udder cream

Works amazingly on their pads anyway, for us. Haven't tried it anywhere else. We apply generously and rub in well, while they're resting and relaxed.

I wholeheartedly endorse this safe, effective, and cheap product. When I was on chemo, I developed painfully chapped and sore hands, feet, elbows, and an oncology nurse recommended this product to me. Seventeen years later, I still use it on myself and on my pets. :)

Bag Balm all the way. It won't hurt them if they lick it - Pinky somehow stole the whole green tin once and ate the bag balm :blink: Most dogs don't really enjoy the taste of it...but, well, she's weird :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest BooBooMama

I don't think Walgreens carries it. You want the green can. I know WalMart does

I have a Super Walgreens (one of those monster-sized stores that is open 24 7.) They had it!

Well the overwhelming consensus was for Bag Balm so I bought some and I already rubbed some into her skin. She is not in the least bit interested in it so no licking. And luckily she does not seem 'bothered' by it either. We shall see.........

Many thanks!

Anything with a good portion of hemp seed oil will be good for skin.

I use this.

Walgreens is the closest to me and they did not have anything with hemp oil. I have used hemp hand lotion for myself and must agree- nothing else works on my dry chapped hands and feet!

We're bag balm users here, too. Great stuff :) .

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

If that doesn't give you the results you want, try coconut oil.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Guest BooBooMama

If that doesn't give you the results you want, try coconut oil.

I never thought of that - good suggestion. Thanks.

Guest BooBooMama

UPDATE on Houdini:

I have been rubbing the Bag Balm in twice a day and she elbows are MUCH softer already!

Many thanks for the great advice.

Gigi & Houdini

We love Bag Balm. Our local big chain grocery stores usually carry it, as do CVS and health food stores, if a livestock store isn't nearby.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.