Wizard And Food

Guest SusanP

Guest SusanP

Wizard is now on half the dose of prednisone he was on when it made him so sick. (We cut it in half again Fri morning.) He is no longer having head spasms and seems more comfortable, has normal colored stools, and seems hungrier, too...BUT there is almost nothing he wants to eat. I think he's still losing weight. He follows me around begging or banging on the (full) food dishes, but he won't eat what's in them, be it dry kibble, soaked kibble, or canned dog food. He keeps banging on them as though they are empty and need to be filled, and I get the impression he is quite hungry but can't bring himself to eat what we have.

As of now, I can get him to eat his pills in American cheese, he will eat babyfood meats (usually no more than 3 little jars at a time, though), peanut butter, and vanilla Ensure (this is new, as of yesterday; he refused it before), and an occasional mouthful of canned food or soaked kibble, though no more than one. He seems really interested in kibble/canned food but generally recoils from it after nosing at it as though it is really icky.

Do other dogs who won't eat act like this? Hungry but almost revolted by food at the same time? What is going on here? I'm just hoping we'll see more improvement on by the weekend when we cut the prednisone down again. But I'm really confused and disturbed by his behavior toward food. I really believe he wants to eat but just can't bring himself to do it.

This sounds like behavior I've seen in cats with kidney disease. With them, giving something to reduce stomach acid is key, like Pepcid. Are you doing that still or did you stop? While we're on the subject, his kidney values have been checked recently, right?

So hoping you can get a better handle on this! Boy needs to eat, and you must be going nuts trying to make it happen!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Giving Pepcid AC might help. Also, when our Max had OS, and would not eat, he DID eat Science Diet AD like it was going out of style (prescription), and CANNED Chicken Soup Senior food.

Good Luck, and I am glad the spasms have stopped since dropping the pred. One other thing you could do is offer VERY high quailty treats in lieu of the kibble, if he wont' eat anything else.

Sending love, hugs and good luck!

Pepcid, scrambled eggs, freshly sauteed chicken livers (just a couple a day or he'll get the runs), could try warming up the canned food a little, gently cooked ground beef or chicken breast, spaghettios, toast with peanutbutter, rice and chicken broth with applesauce on the side .......

If they need to eat and won't eat dog food, I look at other options.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest SusanP

Yes, he's on Pepcid 10 mg a.m. and 10 mg p.m.

Kidney levels were checked Friday, and BUN was up (new since bloodwork a month ago right before we began prednisone). The vet said that GI ulceration/bleeding (his stools were becoming quite dark at that point) from the prednisone would have caused that spike. His stools returned to a normal color a day or so after the prednisone dose was cut in half, at which point we'd also been getting Pepcid into him for a few days running, too.

I wonder if I should be dragging him in for weekly kidney (and other???) bloodwork?

But I guess what I'm really wondering is *why* he won't eat dog food? Does it smell weird or what? I guess no one can really answer that but Wizard, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this.

He won't eat many of the other foods folks have listed either, even scrambled eggs.

Edited by SusanP

Sometimes, if they were eating a food when they were sick, especially nausea/upset stomach, they will associate that particular food with being ill, and refuse it. You may need something stronger than Pepcid. Or try something new that he's never had. Warm and strong smelling are usually good :)

Notice all the food he's accepting is soft. Elevated BUN can make the mouth sore, and makes critters generally feel awful (Heaches, nausea, aches, like a bad hangover).

You need soft foods and aromatic ones. Your vet should have A/D. That's the best suggestion in the shortest time. It's soft and aromatic, made for just such situations.

Home cooking is fine, good, but make it soft and smelly. Meanwhile, get the A/D cuz it's faster!

Sorry to be sounding abrupt, but my computer is driving me crazy, wiped out the last answer I just wrote to you before I could post it, and now i have to run. But all my best to you and Wizard.

Btw, if the elevated BUN was from a month ago, you might want to recheck that and the creatinine. They should be able to check just the kidney values in the office, so fast and not expensive.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest MyBoys

You could also try the Natural Balance roll food which is pretty soft, my senior guy goes on hunger strikes now and then, he will do the same thing, act like he is so hungry, sniff it and walk away. I dice the rolled food up and add some boiled chicken, you can even pop it into the microwave for a few seconds to soften it even more. Nine times out of ten he will eat that.

Edited by MyBoys

Guest Energy11

..."You need soft foods and aromatic ones. Your vet should have A/D. That's the best suggestion in the shortest time. It's soft and aromatic, made for just such situations.

Home cooking is fine, good, but make it soft and smelly. Meanwhile, get the A/D cuz it's faster! ..."

EXACTLY!! The AD ACTUALLY smells like the jar baby meat, and basically is the same consistancy, as well! IT SHOULD WORK!! I think it was this that kept Max alive for an extended period!

Sending more love, hugs, prayers, and good luck! Dee and The Five

Guest SusanP

Btw, if the elevated BUN was from a month ago, you might want to recheck that and the creatinine. They should be able to check just the kidney values in the office, so fast and not expensive.

No, a month ago his kidney values were fine. Last week the BUN was elevated. The vet attributed it to the prednisone.

I would go get some A/D (science diet) I have never seen a dog pass it up. I would also try maybe putting it on a paper plate. I don't know but, it seems to work. Also I don't know if your Hy-Vee carries this but you might want to try Freshpet® Select. It is an all natural food (looks like a roll of lunch meat). Good luck.

waiting at the bridge Connie Van Teddy & Jojo, Cobra

Guest SusanP

I'm going to stop at some vet's offices on my way to and from work today and see if I can get some Hills A/D. I'll get some paper plates, too, while I'm at it, Cully. ;) Thanks, Guys~

:nod Sutra has been weird about kibble. He is completely uninterested. He was even uninterested in some really smelly canned Alpo food (I shuddered spooning it out of a can for him, but, I was just trying something). He seems to want to eat whatever I'm eating. Since I'm eating mostly primal, I've been sharing my food with him if it's not too fatty. Yesterday he had a chiro adjustment and magically wanted to eat kibble again :dunno

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest SusanP

Well, I got home with the Hills A/D, and while I was spooning it out into a bowl for him (I managed to forget the paper plates, Cully), he went over to some cold, soaked kibble I'd taken out of the fridge and started eating it! I tried the A/D anyway, but apparently he was full (he eats only small amounts at one time), because he ate only a little bit. Seemed kind of suspicious of it, too. That's fine--he ate dog food, anyway! He also ran downstairs and out in the yard with the others --very full bladder, apparently--and back up the stairs.

I was really worried this morning because during the nite (1 and 1:30 a.m). he had head spasms again and again at 6:30 am, the first ones in 3 days. He wouldn't take his meds in cheese, either, tho I got most down in peanutbutter.

I have to keep reminding myself that he is still on 20 mg of prednisone a day and he won't necessarily be all better all at once. I can't wait til I can cut the dose in half again Fri a.m.

Guest SusanP

Well, it's official: He doesn't want to eat Hills A/D. But he is nibbling at soaked kibble now, will eat hard boiled egg yolks, peanut butter, and baby food, also pills wrapped in cheese most of the time and an occasional pumpkin/peanutbutter/whole wheat dog biscuit or slice of whole wheat bread.

Has anyone ever had a dog refuse Hills A/D in favor of other foods? It must be tastes or smells that are "off" somehow for him, I'm thinking. I had a mystery illness (a virus, they decided by default) a little over a year ago. I was exhausted and weak, dizzy, and almost every food I tried to eat tasted normal at first bite but then turned horribly bitter and awful tasting in my mouth. The only thing I could eat was ramen noodles and cabbage with the seasoning packet. I lost a lot of weight, as I was sick for about 6 weeks. I wonder if something similar is going on with Wizard's sense of taste or smell?

Could be.

I haven't used A/D so can't comment on that. I have had a dog refuse meats in favor of things like cinnamon bread, so you just never know. I'm glad he is eating something for you, tho!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest greytmiles

I don't have any advice to offer. I just wanted to let you know I've been following along with your story, and wish you and Wizard the best. :bighug

Keep eating little buddy!!!

Erin

Guest Energy11

MOST dogs love the stuff, cats too. It is for both ... but, every dog, like people, are different. It IS weird because the AD looks and smells like baby MEAT, as you can see.

I am sure the vet would let you return it, ours used to.

Just let him eat what he WILL eat, then.

Sending lots of love and prayers!

Edited by Energy11

Guest SusanP

Thanks for all the well-wishes everyone. Wizard has been getting enough food in to look a tiny bit less skinny in the last couple days and to poop twice! Right now, he's sleeping upside down, looking happy.

Guest Stripeyfan

Yay, Wizard! EAT EAT EAT!! Here's some cookies to tempt ya :dogcookie:cookie And some of this too :cheese as you seem to like it. ;)

Could be.

I haven't used A/D so can't comment on that. I have had a dog refuse meats in favor of things like cinnamon bread, so you just never know. I'm glad he is eating something for you, tho!

:nod I've noticed this with Sutra. Meaty stuff (even stinky meat) that he should really really want, he will refuse it and would prefer some toast, or fig newtons.

He ate some mac and cheese last night. I have also made him a big batch of mashed potatoes to eat, and I bought some baby food and cottage cheese as well. I need him to eat.

Maybe try a couple of those things, Susan? Another good thing is oatmeal...if he wants sweet stuff, get him the cinnamon roll Quaker instant oatmeal...Sutra loves it.

Sutra has lost about 4 lbs since he started being a picky eater again...I need to get weight on him again.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Guest SusanP

cottage cheese was a no, but baby food still works. He's eating some Iams low residue today but no other canned foods we try. Still likes peanut butter. Are fig newtons really ok? Maybe he'd like those... I think I'll wait on the mac and cheese just because if I can fill him up on canned dog food or even baby food, it would probably be better for him. And he already gets his pills in cheese.

It's almost like the stinkier the food (meaty food), the more revolting it is to him. I think he's gained a little ground in the last 2-3 days, though--his waist isn't looking quite as gaunt from above.

ETA: Zippy and Spinner are getting too many of Wizard's leftovers and bribes to leave us alone while I'm feeding him...they are getting decidedly chubby. ( Dr.Doug's figure never changes.) Kristin, can you imagine Zippy chubby? Amazing! Got to get all of this under better control.

I found out today that DD has had a UTI for a week and I was so busy with Wizard I never even asked her how she was since the first day she said something about symptoms. Had it dx today. Mega Momfail... :(

Edited by SusanP

Don't beat yourself up, Susan. It does take up a lot of your time trying to get these guys to eat!

RE: fig newtons...someone suggested them for giving pills in another thread. Since Sutra has suddenly decided that pill pockets are gross, we gave thenm a shot and they were a huge success. I am not feeding them to him as a meal...though he did have a couple before I tried using them for pills, just to make sure he would eat them. Now anytime I go to that cupboard, he is staring me down with laser eyes :lol

I forget that Wizard may have some gastrointestinal issues going on - my only restriction with Sutra is really to just keep it low fat...

Guest BorzoiMom

A bunch of you mentioned feeding him baby meat. I'm wondering who you get that will grind up babies, and who gives up the babies for this purpose?

:lol:P

Guest SusanP

A bunch of you mentioned feeding him baby meat. I'm wondering who you get that will grind up babies, and who gives up the babies for this purpose?

:o :o :o:lol

Edited by SusanP