Advice Please

My 10 1/2 year old boy, 2 years post stroke(which he recovered from) is now showing signs of kidney disease..hopefully early stage

Increase drinking, major increased peeing, throwing up, weight loss...doesn't have his usual spark.

The vet called..wants to admit him, start IV to flush..then see about meds/diet etc.

If we don't take the emerg app open to us today..she will leave meds and food requirements for us

Although I trust my vet.....I'm in a bit of a brain muddle. I'm worried about my pupper being away from home( probably 2 or 3 days)..how will it affect him..will the IV flush help enough to warrant the stress on him.. and me..I'm partially still in shock about him being ill.

Edited by Laur

We have been dealing with Kidney disease for a couple of months with Rascal.

before I would admit him for IV flush,, i'd ask about Sub Q Fluids. I usually give my boy 1 liter of fluids every 3rd day or so. along with diet and meds, this keeps him going. It is easy to do at home,, if your not queasy about needles.

There is SO MUCH t to learn, and so many people here helped me thru the initial stages of OMG,, now what.

Keep asking lots of questions. Make a chart, track how your boy feels daily.

Good luck with your journey.

:bighug

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable than I will pop up soon here. But the purpose of an IV "flush" is really to rehydrate the animal. All that peeing leaves them dehydrated, and it's hard for them to consume enough liquid by drinking to compensate. (It's commonly believed that IV fluids flush built-up toxins, but I gather that's really not true. Still, I doubt it hurts...unless the animal is given too much IV fluid, which is a problem and which is why it must be done in a clinic setting where he can be monitored.)

If I were you, I would do it. But I've done it before with cats, so it's not so traumatic for me. For what time period are they talking about keeping him?

I know it feels shocking right now. But you can get through this! smile.gif

ETA: 3dognite posted while I was writing. Depending on his kidney values, doing an IV fluid administration before starting sub-q fluids may be very helpful. But sub-q fluids are the mainstay of treatment for kidney disease.

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Guest Energy11

Sorry to hear about your boy's kidneys, but they can be managed.

To ME, there is NO NEED to hospitalize him for IV fluids. You can: 1) have the vet show you how to do sub q fluids, which is really EASY, or 2) have he/she put an IV catherter in the dog, and YOU can give the fluids ... again,... easy.

MOST kidney dogs HATE Science Diet KD foods. I have had good luck with Purina NF or Royal Canin MP. They seem to prefer these two over the KD.

If it were mine, (*yes, I have IV and sub q fluid administration experience) ***but you could easily learn***, I would keep him home, and have the vet show you how to do the above.

Sending love, hugs, prayers and lots of good luck!

Dee and The Five

How are his bloodwork and urinalysis values?

If all the vet is going to do is give fluids, you could drop him off for that and then pick him up later. We've done this before, works pretty well.

Sending prayers.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

THANKYOU....I will discuss the sub Q with the vet....

Gilbert is such a sookie..just a big old love...a saint john ambulance therapy dog...and lays close to me where ever I am in the house. I'm typing this with my face pressed to the screen because he has my chair squished so.

I'm worried about a hospital stay more than 24 hours...worried about dx and prognosis...worried about his state of mind...worried about who will potty walk him... and I'm worried I'll give in to the crazy thought I had about camping out tonight in the vet hospital parking lot.

Mostly, I've delt with this in cats, but when Sugar (greyhound) had kidney problems, I did leave her at the vet for the day so they could give her fluids on an IV drip all day. I picked her up at the end of the day, though. The sub-q fluids are easy to do and really help!

We have a 12 year old Border Collie. About five years ago, he was diagnosed with early kidney disease. At that time, we changed her diet to home cooked chicken breast tenders with brown rice for dinner (we buy the chicken tenders at Sam's Club). After cooking the chicken, I chop it in the food processor. For her AM meal, she gets organic kibble (the kind we're using now is Newmann's Own Adult Dog Formula) and some cooked oatmeal. She also gets a good quality multivitamin every AM. She is doing very well. She has lost weight and has lots of energy. In fact, she seems much healthier now since we changed her diet.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest Energy11

Please remember, it if IS Chronic or Acute Kidney Failure, you need to watch both the protien and phosphorus intake. THAT is the main reason for the prescription kidney diets.

Sorry to hear your dog is ill. I've lost 3 dogs to CRF over the years and have found the K9 Kidney Group on Yahoo to be a really helpful and particularly knowledgeable resource. Dogaware.com also has an excellent article with links.

I think it's important to IV flush at the outset just in case it is an acute episode that may actually get better with other treatment options based on accurate diagnosis of all the potential associated problems.

Good luck. There's quite a lot you can do to make their lives more comfortable.

Based on what you are saying I'm a little confused as to why they are starting with fluids and planning to keep the dog overnight before they have even done blood work and a urinalysis to confirm the "kidney issue".

The lab results (along with clinical symptoms) would tell you whether you are dealing with kidney problems and whether it is acute or chronic ....

It 'appears' to be chronic.He has clinical symptoms and he has had blood work which pointed to it.. He has had urine tests. They are going to do a pee sample first thing in the morning...and also an abdominal xray .

He looked pretty sad...floopy face,wearing a Superman martingale and St john ambulance kerchief.

The Vet is staying on the premises tonight.