A Bow Finally, Hooray!

Guest Sunset123

Guest Sunset123

I'm so thrilled, after weeks of trying I finally got Arrisa to understand the "bow" command (actually, I use "lean" because doesn't sound as much like "down"). She's usually really quick with commands and tricks, but this one drove me nuts. I do clicker training and watched a lot of training videos on youtube on how to do this one. The regular method of directing a treat toward her chest didn't work because of her bendy giraffe greyhound neck.

In case anyone else has had problems, here's what finally worked for me: While I directed her down from the front with a treat, I had my husband hold a leash under her waist so that when she tried to plop her butt down, she had some feedback telling her that I wanted her butt up. He wasn't pulling up so that it would hurt her, just a little gentle resistance. And it finally clicked! Voila! :colgate :colgate

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

For me it was simple, every morning my hounds stretch, when they stretch they are in the "bow" position, I simply gave it a name and made sure there were treats around. Took a few days, but pretty simple.

Chad

Guest Sunset123

For me it was simple, every morning my hounds stretch, when they stretch they are in the "bow" position, I simply gave it a name and made sure there were treats around. Took a few days, but pretty simple.

Chad

That's what was so frustrating. I spent weeks marking her stretch with a name, but she'd just look at me like, "what are you saying? I'm just stretching." It totally didn't click.

yay.gif YES .....I've been wanting to teach Chance this, but couldn't figure out how to get him to bow at least once to praise it lol! I'm totally using the stretch....if that doesn't work, i'll get a friend to help me with the ummmm...back end! ;)

Thx!

Chad

:nod this is how Ace and Fritz learned too :)

Not only would I say, "take a bowwwww!" when they'd stretch, but I'd put my arms in the air (think "jazz hands") and act all excited. They will both bow pretty much anytime I ask now :)

Sutra doesn't stretch like that very often, so, he thinks "take a bow" means "bark at me" :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest Berylsmum

Chad

I've just taught Beryl to bow (the first thing she has been officially been taught to do!) using this method, and it was easy as she stretches a lot:-) I made sure I had a clicker and treats on me all the time and she soon figured out a bow meant a click which meant a treat. Next I taught her to touch my hand and now we've finally moved on to luring a sit, which I'd tried earlier, a couple of weeks after I got her, but she couldn't figure things out and got worried so I left it. Well, sitting is a success now too, although she will still only sit on the foam mattress on the floor, not the floor itself .... but we only started yesterday:-) Now she proudly shows off her bowing prowess every chance she gets and I'm hoping it won't be long before the same applies for sitting:-)

Cheers, Sue, Frankie (who gets treats just for helping make training fun for his big sister!) and Beryl

Guest ShanYu

Chad

This worked for Nike too - in no time he was a bowing fool! I used to ask him to bow before I gave him his dinner but now he just bows beautifully without being asked!

I "captured" the behavior too - for us it was ta da! (like the fanfare!).

We also got roach this way too - except that was bang! (like play dead!)

:P

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

There was someone on GT some years ago who taught the command as "Bow to the queen," much to her husband's annoyance.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter