Bone Cancer Question

Guest wembles

Guest wembles

We are new to the forums. I have often accessed these forums in the past and appreciate all the wonderful information we have received. Six weeks ago, our beloved grey was diagnosed with bone cancer. The tumor is in the shoulder. We have chosen to keep her comfortable for as long as possible and are not proceeding with treatment. The vet stated that she has 2-4 months of time left with us. When her x-rays were done, the chest x-ray came back clean. I believe now it may have spread there. Does anyone have any information or experience with knowing when it has spread? We do not want to x-ray her again and wondered if there are indicators of a spread. She seems to be wheezing a bit and at times has some labored breathing and it looks like there may be some swelling in her chest area. Can this be an indicator? I would appreciate any information you might be able to share. She still has a great appetite courtesy of the prednisone she is taking and is still doing very well. She is taking Tramadol for pain as needed. Thanks all!

Guest greysonly

We are new to the forums. I have often accessed these forums in the past and appreciate all the wonderful information we have received. Six weeks ago, our beloved grey was diagnosed with bone cancer. The tumor is in the shoulder. We have chosen to keep her comfortable for as long as possible and are not proceeding with treatment. The vet stated that she has 2-4 months of time left with us. When her x-rays were done, the chest x-ray came back clean. I believe now it may have spread there. Does anyone have any information or experience with knowing when it has spread? We do not want to x-ray her again and wondered if there are indicators of a spread. She seems to be wheezing a bit and at times has some labored breathing and it looks like there may be some swelling in her chest area. Can this be an indicator? I would appreciate any information you might be able to share. She still has a great appetite courtesy of the prednisone she is taking and is still doing very well. She is taking Tramadol for pain as needed. Thanks all!

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how difficult this diagnosis is to hear. My Vinnie started coughing when it spread to his lungs. He was laboring too. Your baby will tell you when it is time. You will see it in their eyes. :grouphug

Guest wembles

I am so sorry to hear this. I know how difficult this diagnosis is to hear. My Vinnie started coughing when it spread to his lungs. He was laboring too. Your baby will tell you when it is time. You will see it in their eyes. :grouphug

It's so tough because they are times that she doesn't seem ill at all. It's horrible to just be waiting for it to take over. Thank you for your kind words.

Guest MyBoys

I am so sorry you and your girl have to go through this, I have been there more times then I want to think about. I also always made the choice to manage their pain, believe me, she will let you know and you will understand. Again, I am deeply sorry.

Guest Greyglo

So sorry to read about your little girl's diagnosis. We'd noticed a coughing sound, and it was confirmed that the tumor was in the lungs, so the coughing was the first indication for us. We kept our girl comfortable until she no longer had an interest in eating. Good to hear her appetite is great and that she's doing well. Thoughts and prayers are with you both.

Guest Smiley

I am so sorry you are going through this. I understand how painful this is. I have no advice, just hugs for you and your girl.

I'm so sorry--

Without x-rays, you won't know FOR SURE, but it sure sounds like it's spread. Enjoy what time you have left. I am sure it's a very hard thing to go through.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I am so sorry about the diagnosis. Too many of us know exactly what you are feeling today. When Susy was diagnosed, I was told we had a month or two at the most and that it could spread to her lungs very quickly. Our vet told us to watch for coughing and wheezing. We never got that far - the pain just became uncontrollable and we lost her within a month of the diagnosis.

Celebrate every day, every moment that you have together. Take a thousand pictures and never let her see you cry. This was the advice that I got from a good friend, and it is what got me through - and gave a bounty of memories I might not have had otherwise.

My thoughts and prayers are with you,

Deb

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

We did opt for amputation and chemo but it got Poli anyway 1 day short of 5 months later. It had spread to her lungs. Many times the symptoms are wheezing and coughing as others have said, for Polli- she had lumps pop up on her body.

I am so sorry you are both going through this. You will know it's time. She will tell you.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

I am very sorry for you and your girl. Spoil her rotten and I wish you the best days possible with her.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so so sorry. With our Argos, the pain got to him before the cancer spread. He was with us for 4 weeks post diagnosis.

:grouphug

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

I'm very sorry you're having to deal with this monster. :cry1 It certainly sounds like her lungs are now involved. With my greys that have had OS, the cancer in the leg became unmanageable within 6 weeks of diagnosis. :( I hope you have much more quality time with your sweetie. :hope

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I can't advise as we've had a 'success' (but even 31 months on, I still wait with dread, for the evil thing to hit her again, in some part of her body).

Wanted to wish you and your girl all the best though :grouphug

edited for typo

Edited by Bevd

Deerhounds Darcy, Duffy, Grace & Wellington, Mutts Sprout & Buddy, Lurchers Ned & Jake plus Ella the Westie + cats. Remembering Del, Jessie, Maddison, Flo, Sally, Stanley, Wallace, Radar, Mokka, Oki cat, Tetley, Poppy & Striker.

Please visit our web store at http://www.dogsndubs.com for our own range of Greyhound related clothing for humans!

Guest wembles

thanks to all for your supportive and kind words. we are enjoying every minute we have with her and being as strong for her as we can. i'm sorry to all who have gone through this. your words mean the world to us.

Guest aaspenwall

I'm so sorry you're having to deal with this. I've been there twice. I can't offer any insight on telling when it's spread, but it seems you've already gotten confirmation from others. Both times I made the same decision to keep my dogs as comfortable as possible as long as possible and knew the time had come when the pain couldn't be managed well enough for them to get around comfortably on their own. With the first, I only had about a week and a half after diagnosis, with the second we had about 3 good months. It's very, very hard to go through, but like the others have said, spoil your baby rotten and trust that when the time comes you will have done your best by your dog.

Guest MorganKonaAlex

I'm so sorry to hear about her diagnosis. I've been through lung tumors with 2 dogs. Alex developed a cough and seemed lethargic. As it progressed, he lost interest in food. Demon's case was complicated by a case of kennel cough. He had a cough and spit up a blood clot. Xray showed the lung tumor. His breathing became more difficult but was helped with prednisone for a while. We let him go when he seemed to be uncomfortable and we had maxed out the comfort meds.