Peeing In House

Garth, my love, has this negative behaviour and it is just breaking me.

About a year ago I fostered a beautiful big boy for 2 weeks before he went to his new home. Garth started peeing in the house after 3 years of very good behaviour.

Well the foster went and no new fosters have come in. Garth continues to pee. It happens in the afternoon and just before the last walk of the night. Today, I was working from home all day, it happened at 4 pm and just now at 9 pm.

We went for a 30 minute walk (our 2nd walk today) at 10 am. I was not paying attention and at 4 pm I heard him pee in the house. We went out immediately and I fed him dinner. Well, it's 9 pm and I was watching TV and about to turn off the tv to come upstairs and take him out. Bam - he did it again.

I am so mad. This happens almost once or more times per week and it is ruining my floors and making me very very upset.

We go for walks all of the time. We spend all of our weekends together if possible. I am home more often now. This just has to stop.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions to correct his behavior. Garth routinely goes 7 or 8 hours during the day after I leave for work so there is NO reason he cannot make it between 10 and 4 pm.

This is NOT a medical issue it's purely behavioral.

Thanks.

Guest krystolla

Is he spraying or emptying-out-the-bladder? I think there are different training approaches depending on what he's doing.

Regardless, you might want to get a belly band for him. I think the belly band is supposed to keep him from the satisfaction of actually leaving a mark when he's spraying.

Guest SillyIzzysMom

Maybe when you're gone all day he just sleeps and so he can hold it longer than when you're there and he has to follow you to get a stamp and follow you to get a drink and follow you when you go to the bathroom etc. . .(I swear some days when I'm home I feel like I'm leading a little parade through the house!). I suspect that when nobody is home mine just lay in one spot most of the day, but not so much when I'm there.

Who knows? just a thought. . .

Hate to say it ,but back to the C R A T E,if not medical

I think you are right about the c.r.a.t.e. when I am gone (rare evenings when I have a dinner or movie event).

Maybe when you're gone all day he just sleeps and so he can hold it longer than when you're there and he has to follow you to get a stamp and follow you to get a drink and follow you when you go to the bathroom etc. . .(I swear some days when I'm home I feel like I'm leading a little parade through the house!). I suspect that when nobody is home mine just lay in one spot most of the day, but not so much when I'm there.

Who knows? just a thought. . .

I agree with this as well. But what is the solution? Perhaps it is taking him out sooner than I would when I am gone. But by this behavior, he is "controlling" our world.

By the way he is not spraying - he's really going.

I would just take him out more often when you are home. Obviously he is more awake and active when you are there and that will make him need to empty more. Six hours is quite a long time but if you have a garden you could just let him out to empty and not need to take an extra walk.

Sue from England

I am the worst on behavior issues, probably because I have no experience with them and I'm a whimp.

But, instead of the crate, what about taking him out more often and seeing if that helps first.

I hope so.

For you Garth :kiss2

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Shermanator

Belly band!

Patton was a marker in the house. He's still a marker whenever he's out and thinks he can get away with it. :angryfire

It was not spraying or emptying his entire bladder, just a leg lift and a squirt. We ran the guantlet of vet, tons of walks, behavior training etc. We do not use crates here (one dog has absolute horrendous anxiety and fear when in his crate, so for his health and safety, it was not worth it to keep crates,) so crating was not an option for us.

He'd also do it when we were out, and when we were home. Finally we began belly banding him, and after a few tries with the band, the marking stopped (everytime I took it off, it was dry.) We got a dog door, so we could not keep him banded, and boom! no more marking in the house, at all!

However, we he goes with us to visit family/friends, or the sitter, if he is in the house, he gets the belly band. I usually go with 2. The first one he usually pees in. Don't get me wrong - we have completely vetted him, and before we go into a store/home anything, we walk, and Patton unloads on all the bushes. :blink:

The more I think about it, I wonder if it is his separation anxiety of being able to get outside. As soon as he had complete, full access to the backyard at all times, he stopped with the marking. Or, he's a knuckhead who wants to mark everything!

I would just take him out more often when you are home. Obviously he is more awake and active when you are there and that will make him need to empty more. Six hours is quite a long time but if you have a garden you could just let him out to empty and not need to take an extra walk.

Exactly :) . You know what times he's apt to have an accident, so don't let him -- take him out earlier.

I really can't see making the dog wear a belly band or putting him in his crate for something so natural and so easy to resolve.

Mine might go 6 hours in the morning after breakfast when people are home, but the rest of the day? Nope. More like every 3-4 hours. They're periodically up and about, not just crashed asleep all day, so they have to go, just like people do.

I wouldn't assume there isn't a medical component, though. If in doubt, run a pee sample to your vet for a urinalysis.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest scfilby

Clean the areas that have been soiled with a pet order remover designed to eliminate urine. use the crate, and take him out more often. Even though dogs can go long hours without going to the bathroom, that doesn't mean they don't have to go.. Asking a pup to routinely go 6-7-8 hours without a potty break is asking a lot.

I'll second (or third) the opinion that our dogs' schedule is quite different days someone is home, versus not.

While they are fine to be alone 6+ hours... if someone is at home with them, they may want to go out every couple hours for a quick tinkle.

I think your easy solution is to take him out more-often (don't wait for him to ask) when you are at home.

Good luck!

Amy and Tim in Beverly, MA, with Chase and Always missing Kingsley (Drama King) and Ruby (KB's Bee Bopper).

Guest Tequila

Have you tried tethering him to you with a leash? That way, you'll know when he's about to go and can simply walk him right outside atthat moment to go. Just an idea....

If he is really peeing, as you say, and not simply marking, then I think it's safe to assume that he probably just has to go. As others have suggested, he is mostly likely way more active when you're around than he is when you're out of the house. My two certainly are. At the weekend our schedule changes a bit and if they have been following me around a lot, or we've played during the day, we usually go out into the yard more often.

If that really doesn't work, I personally would try using a belly band before resorting to the crate again :)

Good luck, Liz, and keep us posted!

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest hattiepumpkin

When I am not able to run home and walk her at lunch, Hattie very often goes from 7 am to 3-3:30 pm during the work week. On the weekends, however, she doesn't last more than 4-5 hours during the day. If we're home, we're taking her out more often. For example, the work week schedule is 5:15 am, 7 am, 3:15-ish, 6:30-ish, and 10-ish. The weekend is more like, 7 am, 10 am, 2 pm, 6 pm, and 10 pm. That 2 pm walk, though, is not a long one--it's just a pee walk, as opposed to the poop walk. I would start to take Garth out around 2--even if it's just to the mailbox and back. It took us almost 6 full months to figure out why the only time Hattie had accidents (well, most of the times she had accidents--sometimes, she would go out of anger with us, I think) was when we were home. We started taking her out once more during the day, and it worked.

Good luck!

Guest sheila

if the dog is making a full pee then it doesn't sound like a behavior problem on the dogs part. The dog has to pee and either his signals are too subtle for you to notice, or you need to pay closer attention. Is it possible the dog is drinking more during the day and therefore needing more frequent potty breaks?

Guest SillyIzzysMom
But by this behavior, he is "controlling" our world.

"And just what," my princess Stella would say, "is the matter with that?"

:lol Boy do my crew have the "controlling my world" thing figured out! Between the the feeding, cleaning up poo, corn cream, various meds, walks. . .sigh. I am their humble servant. I remember a funny quote I heard one where someone said, "When the extra-terrestrials come down and see me in the yard cleaning up my dogs' crap while they watch. . .who is ET going to think is in charge down here?"

Guest Ashleigh

Have you tried tethering him to you with a leash? That way, you'll know when he's about to go and can simply walk him right outside atthat moment to go. Just an idea....

I totally agree with tethering. It's the best way with a male that tries to sneak away to do his business...

Guest Swifthounds

I would go back to housetraining 101: crating, baby gates, frequent "outs" while you're home, tethering... and see how that goes.

I totally agree with tethering. It's the best way with a male that tries to sneak away to do his business...

Can't see why any dog needs to sneak away to do his business if his owner is aware of his needs and responding to his signs for wanting to go out to potty. Over here I know of nobody who uses belly bands or tethering and few who crate.....we just respond to our dogs signs for needing to empty or take them out every 3-4 hours anyway.

Sue from England

Guest Ashleigh

Can't see why any dog needs to sneak away to do his business if his owner is aware of his needs and responding to his signs for wanting to go out to potty. Over here I know of nobody who uses belly bands or tethering and few who crate.....we just respond to our dogs signs for needing to empty or take them out every 3-4 hours anyway.

Guest Ashleigh

Clearly, she knew the needs of her dog until she brought in another foster. Sometimes the needs of the animal changes and sometimes they like the idea of going inside the house and don't give the owner any signs. Why tell the owner that he has to go outside when he feels free to do it in the house? I haven't had to tether, crate, or use a belly band but that doesn't mean I'll never have to. I also haven't brought another dog in the house.

Let's not put blame on the owner and assume that they're neglectful of their animal's needs. They're clearly trying to do what's best for their dog by coming on here and asking.

Guest Tequila

Another good idea is taking him out every few hours, whether he has given signs of needing to "go" or not. Crry treats in your pocket, and when he goes outside, praise praise praise, immediately, and give a treat.

This is how I housebreak any new dog. I bring them outside to the fenced in backyard every 2 hours, to give them the "option" to go if they need to. And when they do, INSTANT praise, and a treat. After a couple days, they catch on.

Guest Swifthounds

This is making the huge (and often erroneous) assumption that a) he displays signs when he wants to go out (as opposed to when he NEEDS to go out and B) that he's going because he has a full bladder and not because he's upset/annoyed/nervous etc. No healthy greyhound needs to go out every 3-4 hours. Even my seniors (12 & 13) can hold their bladders for 5-6 hours consistently.