Need New Ideas/foods For Giving Pills

Guest Smiley

Guest Smiley

Poor Peanut's list of pills has steadily grown in the last weeks and she has had it with icky smelling and tasting pills. We've hidden them in peanut butter, pill pockets, canned food meatballs, hot dogs, butter and variations of all of these. It's to the point where she is suspicious of any treat coming her way. We've also tried the dreaded method where we put it on her tongue as far back as possible and rub her throat, but she usually just spits it back up. We are all traumatized at this point and could use some suggestions on what we can hide her pills in. Maybe cream cheese?

Guest TeddysMom

I've never had much luck with anything but Velveta cheese. I give the first bite with nothing then another bite with the pills rolled up inside. Good luck.

Cream cheese is what I use. I just smoosh the pill into a little piece and have never had any problem getting any of mine to take a pill so enclosed. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Swifthounds

I've given up on the hiding/tricking with food approaches. I hold the pill in my fingers, open the hound's mouth with the other hand, and plop the pill back as far as possible, and close mouth. Then I reward with a tasty treat.

I've found that all the hiding trains them to be suspicious of treats or food and especially if you have an old or ill animal, you don't really want them deciding any tasty treats are suspect.

The tasty treat offered after the pill also encourages swallowing in anticipation.

Guest jade1046

My Minnie will take her pills in almost anything, but Bizzie will eat whatever it's wrapped in and spit the pill out - except for hard SALAMI! I get a quarter pound and have them slice it as thin as possible without it being shredded, the thinner it is the better it stays wrapped around the pill. Salami lasts a long time without spoiling too!

Guest greytfulhounds

Fig Newtons. I have had great luck with them lately! I break them in half.......put a pill in one half & the texture of the cookie allows you to shape it around the pill.

Twinkies--stick the pill in one of the holes on the bottom. Worked like a charm on my bridge girl Clarice, who had a wicked sweet tooth.

Pam with Sockem the GH, Birdie the JRT, Osorno the chocolate lab, and Shelby the shepherd mix. Missing Clarice (1991-2007) and Lily (2004-2012), always in our hearts.

Roast beef slices usually work here.

But how about having her meds compounded? A good compounding pharmacy can take virtually any med and put it into a form that she'll probably love. They can also compound meds into transdermal formulas (like gels, which can be rubbed into the ear).

vet compounding pharmacies

Edited by greyhndz

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Guest JillT

I've given up on the hiding/tricking with food approaches. I hold the pill in my fingers, open the hound's mouth with the other hand, and plop the pill back as far as possible, and close mouth. Then I reward with a tasty treat.

I've found that all the hiding trains them to be suspicious of treats or food and especially if you have an old or ill animal, you don't really want them deciding any tasty treats are suspect.

The tasty treat offered after the pill also encourages swallowing in anticipation.

We take the same approach here.

Fruit rollups have worked for us in the past :)

I'm writing down some of these other suggestions - Sutra is being a big pain with his pills lately too.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

I am having the same problem with my Beggar. I ordered, and it came today, something called Flavor-Doh. It looks and feels like play-doh, but its made with flour, veggie oil, meat extract, and vitamin E (I think). Haven't tried it yet, I'll get back to you. What you do is mold a small wad of the doh around the pills, then give it to the houndie. I got the liver flavor, so, at best, the flavor will be novel to him, and hopefully he'll snarf it down without too much thought. I've never mastered the toss-the-pill-down-the-throat thing. I'm always afraid I'll shove it down his windpipe. Oliver, on the other hand, would eat a paper towel if it had peanut butter on it...

It's gross, but liver sometimes works. Sardines, liverwurst, cooked sausage, banana (if she likes them).

I'm sorry to hear that poor Peanut is not feeling well sad.gif Thinking of you guys.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest boondog

A friend of mine has to give her basset a daily thyroid pill. She makes what she calls "roll ups". She spreads a little cream cheese on a piece of lunchmeat and rolls it up. The cream cheese helps keep the pill in place. Good luck!

Edited by boondog

When I have to pill, I make sure to stick it past the back of their tongue -- really down their throat. Dog has to be a master to spit it back out. You need short fingernails and no fear to do it :lol:) .

Two other tricks:

1 - Smear a bunch of peanutbutter/cream cheese on your left hand. In right hand, have pill with a blob of same on it. Offer pill. As soon as dog takes pill, offer left hand to lick. Dog licks, licks, licks, swallows ... oopsie, pill is gone.

2 - Smear a bunch of peanutbutter/cream cheese on your left hand. Have *naked* pill ready in your right hand. Offer left hand to lick. While dog is busy licking, poke pill in the side of dog's mouth, towards the back. This isn't as sure of a method but if you keep them busy enough it works.

Hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest budsmom

I'm lucky, mine take pills in anything. One of their favorite things is bread, so I kind of roll up the pill in about 1/3 slice of bread and squish it together. They just gulp it right down without even chewing. You could also make them a peanut butter sandwich, or use some other kind of spread she really likes. Sometimes I think the pills must taste bad, like some human ones do, so if you can mask the bad taste they go down easier.

Guest Trentsmom

I also use my finger to push past the tongue. Also, I bought a pill crusher (walgreens) that will easily turn a solid (not capsule) pill into a powder. Then I mix the pill powder in one of their favorite powder supplements with water or with plain yogurt.

Back in the day when I worked in a pet store we used a simple device we called a 'pill pusher' (I'm sure it has a more technical name), but basically it was about the length of a straw and the pill fit into the end and the other end had a plunger like handle, like a syringe. It made it easy to get the pill down the throat while keeping the hands out of the way.

Good Luck; hope your baby is feeling better soon

Guest zoolaine

I hated it when Sunny wasn't eating and we fought over his meds. I felt like crying every time. Although I did get pretty good at just sticking it in the back of his throat - I found it works much better if I am standing behind him and kept his head tilted up a bit. Bite sized peanut butter sandwiches worked really well, Sunny has always loved bread. When he was really sick ham was about all he would eat and it had to be warmed in the microwave first. I think he liked the salty taste of it.

I bought some fig newtons at the store - they worked like a charm! I just took the cookie, broke it in half. Put the capsule sideways in the filling, and then stuck the cookie back together. He snarfed it right up :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Guest sorenkkg

This is *just* the thread I needed to see tonight! Aleeya is on for another 3 weeks of pills (doxy and now prednisone)...

One tip I use with success (until it gets old, might be new for you guys though)-- take some liver treats-- like the freeze dried liver or anything crunchy, and either grind it in a mortar and pestle or in the food processor or whatever grinder you have, till you have dust/crumbs (also good with end of cookie and treat bags).

Take the treat hiding the pills-- pill pocket, cream cheese, etc-- and roll it around in the dust/crumbs. If there's bigger pieces, press them in.

If they were turning up their noses at the plain "treat" they will LOVE the *new* treat you just made.

Thanks for all the other good ideas! I'm going to get some hot dogs and bust out the cream cheese (haven't used that in a while).

Keep them coming smile.gif

Soren