Dislocated Or Broken Toe? *pics Added*

Guest meakah

Guest meakah

Koda has something wrong with one of her middle toes on the back foot. We went to the off leash park yesterday (as per our daily routine) and all seemed fine. When we got home I noticed Tyah sniffing at Koda’s foot and I thought that was weird but didn’t notice anything at that time (no limping). I left them out for another 15 mins or so in the yard while getting their dinner ready and such and when I let them in…Koda was practically on 3 legs and was struggling coming up the steps. I looked her over when she came in and could tell her one middle toe (inner toe to the outside) was sitting out front a bit longer than the rest. I did not take a picture this morning before coming to work but now I am wishing I had so that I had something to post on here. I will post one when I get home. After googling dislocated toes this morning…I am totally unsure as to what she has since none of the photos I saw looked like her situation. She is on 3 legs this morning but not messing with it at all nor panting or anything. I tried to move it around and she had virtually no response…stoic? Possibly. There does not seem to be much swelling really and so I am a bit confused. I have never dealt with broken/dislocated toes before so I am not sure what we are dealing with. The vet is out today so I have an appointment for 8am Tuesday morning. I will give her some aspirin today to carry her through. Any ideas what it could be?

Home now so here are some photos I took tonight. I know her outside nails look a bit long but they have always been longer due to the long quicks...and I have not trimmed her for a few weeks...she is definitely due for a trim.

The funky toe. I know the one toe with the nail turned in looks funky but that is pretty normal for her (photo below showing her other hind foot with the same toe turned in a bit). The toe in question is the one that appears longer.

gallery_9562_3117_77959.jpg

Another shot of the long toe. Broken? Or dislocated?

gallery_9562_3117_2981.jpg

Her other hind foot for comparison. You can see this foot showing the nail turned in as well so that is normal for her.

gallery_9562_3117_76985.jpg

Edited by meakah

I just want to say I'm no expert on toes. :)

Ramm had a dislocated toe and it was bent over the other toe (wouldn't move, painful) and had to be yanked back into place and wrapped up by the vet.

dislocated toe

2905241170038196329S425x425Q85.jpg

He also has a center toe that doesn't hump up like the other toes, it lays kind of flat. I can't remember what the vet called it but it has something to do with the tendon.

Nancy with Rocket, Umeko and Sasha

gallery_151_3099_2018.jpg

Missing Albi, Kassie, Ramm, Ruby, my good boy Marvin and Mickey (BT)

NANCY B'S COLLARS

Guest D_MansMommy

I'm no expert but right now TC is in a splint cast due to a fractured toe. His toe was very swollen. I think if your pup broke a toe or fractured it, it would be swollen. Sounds like it may be dislocated or sprung.

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

It really doesn't look broken or dislocated. What it does look like is that the ligaments have stretched and it's causing the "long" look to the toe. Commonly called a "sprung toe"

There does seem like there might be a bit of swelling on the left, outside, lower digit area, also along the top part of the toe from the knuckle area down to the nail.

If you or your vet has "Care of the Racing Greyhound" just look up "sprung toe" and it might explain it better then I'm doing :)

Guest meakah

You know....I just palpated the toe really good and it feels solid, in place, and cannot feel any broken bones. Plus....she just laid there. I am seriously thinking this is just a sprain of some type. And now reading Heather's reply....am thinking we are on the same train of thought. I will google "sprung toe" right now. How do you normally treat this Heather? I trimmed up the nails as good as possible and rounded the one that is poking into the longer toe so that it doesn't rub too much. Have not wrapped the foot or anything since she is 9 yrs old and quiet. She doesn't appear to be in pain laying there. But does limp when walking around. And did not even flinch while I palpated all around the area. :dunno

Edited by meakah

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

In kennel life you really do not do anything.

Maybe ice or hose down the toe a few days in a row, rest (no racing) for I would give it a month.

Keep the nail next to it and that nail trimmed (which you're already doing, good job)

If she's painful maybe some pain meds and that's about it.

Not a whole lot to do with a sprung toe.

Guest meakah

I decided to cancel the vet appointment this morning based on a lot of research and a friend looking at her. I am quite confident it is a strain of some sort in which a vet cannot do anything anyhow. I will get some Metacam for her for a few days and keep her quiet (which is natural for her ;) ). Thanks for all of the advice and info! I will update in a couple of days....

Edited by meakah

Guest Swifthounds

It really doesn't look broken or dislocated. What it does look like is that the ligaments have stretched and it's causing the "long" look to the toe. Commonly called a "sprung toe"

There does seem like there might be a bit of swelling on the left, outside, lower digit area, also along the top part of the toe from the knuckle area down to the nail.

If you or your vet has "Care of the Racing Greyhound" just look up "sprung toe" and it might explain it better then I'm doing :)

Sprung toe is exactly what I was thinking! Absolutely love my Care of the Racing Greyhound. It's a good back up if you don't have a greyhound trainer around to look over your dogs. :D I would run some cool water over it for the next few days (a few times per day) and leash walk only for a few weeks or more.

An aside, and I know everyone's tired of hearing me say it, but if you're free running your hounds, the nails should be shorter and anywhere where the toe turns a bit (like from an old fracture) or where the nail has grown "off kilter" you should dremel it down so that the toes/nails don't interfere with the working of the foot.

I know I sound like a broken record about the nails. :P It really affect the locomotion of a greyhound. They can be fit as a fiddle, but as someone wisely once told me, "They run from the feet up."

Guest meakah

Well....the weather here will maybe help her. Woke up this morning to at least 5cm's of snow covering the green grass. And it is STILL coming down....hard.... She looked better after walking around out there for a few mins....a natural 'icing'. ;)

I trimmed up her nails and she is resting comfortably. Thanks again everyone! :)

• 7 years later...
Guest jollyvicky

Hi.

By chance found this topic as my dog has exactly the same problem. In case ypou see my message, I'd like to ask, how did it heal in the end? Did the finger stay in the same position just stopped being painful? How long did it take and if it's ever start hurting again? Any info super welcome!

Kind Regards
Anja

Had a lot of greyhound toe issues. Took 1 to vet similar to this and he said just rest was all could be done and it got better. I would be very careful with aspirin. Would never use anything but buffered and would be very sparing with that as aspirin will make their stomach bleed. Some rest and nursing and I'll bet your girl will be fine.

That is exactly the break Bea incurred on the same toe last year. I was present when she did it. No GSOD, nothing, just a look that said Mom? I think Ive done something to my toe.

The toe is still flat and wonky but has not inhibited her at all. Bea will be 11 in a few months.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Once the tendon gets stretched out like that it doesn't ever rebound completely. My boy did this a couple years ago and his toe is still flat. He's not painful anymore and he still runs and plays all he wants. Ask your vet for a week or so of an nsaid if your dog seems painful.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly