Houdini Is Limping

Guest BooBooMama

Guest BooBooMama

When my new little foster girl Houdini came off the truck on Saturday I noticed that she seemed a little weak in the hind legs but after being cramped in a crate and no food for 48 hours I assumed it was due to exhaustion. (One of the big males who came up from FL with her did the same thing. He almost collapsed until someone gave him a few treats.)

One of the drivers told me that the other little female that was riding with her, stepped on Houdini and she growled at her and wouldn't let her near after that. I attributed that to being crabby- never thought it might be due to pre-existing pain. When we first came into my house she tripped but I attributed that to the linoleum floor. Later she walked on it just fine so I thought- "OK, she has the hang of it now." Later that first night when I took her for a walk she slowed WAY down on the return- once again I attributed it to the long haul from FL. Then yesterday afternoon she woke up from a nap and began limping - her left hind leg. I checked her foot, nails, etc. and can't see anything.

When she got up early this morning she let out a little yelp. The limp seems worse- sometimes the limp is extreme and other times it is slight- but it never fully goes away. She was been sleeping a lot yesterday but I attributed that to the itching that kept her up all Saturday night (flea bites) Today she continues to nap a lot- not lethargic but I have not seen any desire to run or play. That could mean nothing- it just might be her personality and that she still needs to rest up from the trip but it just adds to the concerns I have.

I made an appointment to see a vet this afternoon. Please God don't let this be anything serious.

Guest Energy11

Something could be sprained or strained from that long trip. Hopefully, some NSAIDS and resting will do the trick!

Sending hugs and prayers for good news!

Guest BooBooMama

What is that expression- something like "From your lips to God's ears."

This is the same leg that BooBoo was limping on so I am totally freaked. Batmom sent me to a website site that I was unware of and I found she had run in over 150 races! In several she was "bumped hard" so this may be an old injury acting up. Of course my mind is racing from TBD, Lyme's to That Which I Won't Name.

She acts as if she has always lived here- in just two days!!! What an angel.

Guest twogreytkids

If Houdini was stepped on while she was in the haul trailer, the other grey might have stepped on that leg. I helped with Houdini's cat-testing and photos not too long ago and she was fine then.

Marcy

Guest budsmom

Deep breaths, it's not going to be that!

Do you have her medical records? One of the little girls we brought back from that same haul had had a broken leg, and if Houdini raced that much it's entirely possible this is an old racing injury that got aggravated during the haul. Our little broken leg girl was definitely favoring it and had to be lifted in and out of the car. Let us know how it goes with the vet.

PS - if you haven't already, you might want to Frontline her. We pulled 3 ticks off one of the boys we got.

Guest BooBooMama

Do you have her medical records? One of the little girls we brought back from that same haul had had a broken leg, and if Houdini raced that much it's entirely possible this is an old racing injury that got aggravated during the haul. Our little broken leg girl was definitely favoring it and had to be lifted in and out of the car. Let us know how it goes with the vet.

PS - if you haven't already, you might want to Frontline her. We pulled 3 ticks off one of the boys we got.

No medical records. I am uncertain why we don't. I just have a record of when she had her shots. They gave her Capstar before they put her on the truck to Appleton and then we washed her with flea shampoo so I was told to hold-off on the Frontline because of all the chemicals.

If Houdini was stepped on while she was in the haul trailer, the other grey might have stepped on that leg. I helped with Houdini's cat-testing and photos not too long ago and she was fine then.

Marcy

REALLY? Oh that is wonderful news. Maybe when she stumbled in the house she pulled something or maybe the dog that stepped on her aggravated something. I so hope it is just a strain. OK. I am going to start thinking good thoughts and get this little girl feeling better.

Thank you so much Marcy.

How old is she? Even if she's fairly young she might have developed arthritis in that joint, particularly if she injured it.

Good thoughts for you two at the vets.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest BooBooMama

How old is she? Even if she's fairly young she might have developed arthritis in that joint, particularly if she injured it.

Good thoughts for you two at the vets.

She is going to be four next month, June 18th.

Guest BooBooMama

UPDATE:

Hi All,

The vet checked out my little girl this afternoon and she is definitely limping. She actually hops sometimes (even BooBoo didn't limp this badly.) He manipulated her leg and she never yelped but it 'feels' as if her hip is the source of the stiffness. He wants to do an X-ray but she will have to be anesthetized. The greyhound adoption group wants me to wait three weeks before we spay her so I am going to see if we can move that up and do it all at once- X-rays, spay and teeth cleaning.

I am hoping it is just tendonitis and a few weeks of rest and NSAIDS will do the trick. The waiting is going to kill me!!!!

I checked with the vet because I am not familiar with Capstar and was worried about giving her Frontline just a few days later. He verified that it IS safe to give her the Frontline so I am going to give it to her in a few minutes. Thanks for all of your help.

Marcy

Hey Marcy,

How can I go about getting her medical records from the Florida track?

Sending lots and lots of good thoughts! Fingers tightly crossed. :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck :goodluck

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Adding my good thoughts and hoping this is just an injury that needs to heal.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

• 5 weeks later...
Guest BooBooMama

UPDATE:

I just got the report from the veterinary radiologist. Houdini has a mild case of hip dysplasia but no sign of arthritis yet.

There is nothing we can do for it at this time. What we need to watch for is the onset of arthritis. She eats a grain free diet of raw meat, bones, eggs, veggies and fruit. I am already adding salmon oil to her food and will begin to give her Dasuquin in hopes of staving off the arthritis. Low impact exercise (walking) is the only other thing we can do for her at this time.

I was shocked. I never heard of a greyhound having hip dysplasia before! Thank goodness it is not bone cancer.

If anyone has additional advice on how to stave off arthritis- I am all ears!

Edited by BooBooMama