? Allergies

Guest Samantha

Guest Samantha

Since i got Maddison afew weeks ago, Ive noticed on occasiosn she coughs and sounds abit weezy, I put it down to excitement as it ewas usually when she was playing. Today she's had a notable weeze that even my Mum noticed when she visited us. Also ive noticed today shes been itchin herself quite abit (checked for fleas but nothing at all) mainly her ears and her feet, she's also been lickin her feet quite abit, and i have to admit the whole slurping noise has drove me insane all day!!. It sounds like she has a sore throat and has a dry mouth and a congested nose, and it seems the licking and itching are worse when she comes in from the garden. She's just been out, and now has the big D, Im not sure if this has something to do with the packet of garlic sausage she stole off my counter 2 days ago and the liver i cooked for her yesterday.

She has ate all her food with gusto today and has dosed on and off. Right now she seems settled and is asleep.

Im wondering wether to keep her on a bland diet for afew days and keep her off the grass and on the paved bit of my garden for afew days, see if it helps ( Im thinking maybe its the grass causing itching?). Its a holiday here in the UK tomorrow so i was going to give it until Tuesday and if she isnt any better call my vet.

What would you guys do? Any ideas?

Any help would be appreciated.

Bland diets are usually for upset tummies. If it's allergies you'd want to start doing elimination. You could start with the main protein she is eating. Example: chicken- no chicken products of ANY Kind. See if it gets better. If not, try grains. Make sure you look at the ingredients of everything that goes in her mouth.

I had to do this with Ollie. He is allegic to chickem and grains.

he is now on a totally 100% raw diet and is doing soooo much better.

Good luck.

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Samantha

Bland diets are usually for upset tummies. If it's allergies you'd want to start doing elimination. You could start with the main protein she is eating. Example: chicken- no chicken products of ANY Kind. See if it gets better. If not, try grains. Make sure you look at the ingredients of everything that goes in her mouth.

I had to do this with Ollie. He is allegic to chickem and grains.

he is now on a totally 100% raw diet and is doing soooo much better.

Good luck.

Yeah i meant bland for the Big D situation. Maddison doesn't have dog food as such, everything she has i cook for her especially, she was never fed on dog food in her kennels so refused all tins and kibble etc when she came to me. Her diet is varied, but she did have fish this morning before the itching started!. My Dad fed all his greys raw, and swears by it.

Edited by Samantha

Guest Samantha

It's allergy season and considering that my blue car is now yellow from pollen I'd say inhalant allergies are higher on your list of possibilities than dietary ones. All the elimination trials in the world won't take care of a pollen allergy.

Wheezing happens when your dog's lower airways are constricted. If you know anyone with asthma you know how serious this could become (they wheeze for the same reason). If this was a one time thing or something that happened maybe once a month I wouldn't worry too much (unless it was associated with a trigger). What you described sounded like it lasts for a long time if you're mom was able to notice it.

Google "chronic canine bronchitis" and it may ring some bells. If my dogs were wheezing as much as you describe I'd head to the vet without hesitation.

I've spoke to my vet today, from what I've described...the itching, the licking paws, and rubbing head on carpet and the weeze which seems to come and go, she thinks its possibily quite bad hay fever, I've got to give Benadryl or piriton and take her in on Wednesday, which should be fun seeing as she is in heat

:lol