Tuna Update

So this weekend I was to attend a camp / retreat two hours away from home for 3 days and 2 nights. I had a lot of guilt about going, but it was a birthday present from my mother and a much-needed break for "stress relief". Well, after one night and 2 days, I am back home. Last night when I spoke with the dogsitter Tuna was doing okay, other than having an accident. Early this afternoon, after going on a zip line, I checked my voicemail and had a message from the dogsitter saying Tuna did not have a good morning and the tone of her message instantly had me concerned because it sounded dire. I called her back and she explained that Tuna was lethargic today, she was having more mobility issues than using and tripped over her own legs while going down the ramp to get outside (a few minor cuts and scrapes, nothing serious), and overall was very wobbly and lacking energy. When Tuna got back in the house, she stumbled to her dog bed, ate a little breakfast laying down, but would not get back up to go outside again before the dogsitter left. When the dogsitter returned at lunch time, Tuna was laying in the same place and had not gotten up, when she tried to get up she had a great deal of trouble. The dogsitter also said she seemed to have breathing trouble. So, I packed up and headed home (campfire, canoeing and the other activities I missed out on will have to wait for another time) in full blown tears expecting this was the end for Tuna, I even left a phone message for the vet to that effect. I arrive home, Tuna does not get up to greet me, she's just laying on her dog bed panting heavily with the dogsitter offering her a bowl of water. I instantly realized it was her LP acting up because of the heat, went and got a box fan and turned it on so it was blowing directly on her and within minutes her breathing was back to normal. As for getting up, she was a little slow, but did get up for me and going outside she was much more careful walking down the ramp, once she got into the yard she peed with a little bit of a stumble, then when she was coming back up to the house I noticed she was walking sort of sideways and haphazardly with her rear paws knuckling under. I took her by the harness and guided her back to the house and up the ramp, into the house, and she made it on her own back onto her dog bed where she happily gobbled up dinner and is now napping. So, to me it was not life and death that I get home, and I am sort of bummed that I missed out on another night and day of camp, but of course I dearly love Tuna and want to be here for her and I had no way of knowing for sure how bad off she was unless I came home. On the drive home I was completely convinced that the time had come to let her go, but now that I am back home with her I am not so convinced. I just don't know what to do, other than never leave her again! Tonight I will have a serious "Is It Time" thought session going on in my head.

Just sending hugs for yourself and some scritchies for your sweet girl.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kydie
:grouphug for you and Tuna, sorry you missed out on your weekend, but glad the dogsitter was on the ball to call for help,

Guest Energy11

This recent HEAT could certainly do it! Mine won't even want to be outside long, and they were Florida dogs!

Hoping little Tuna is better and doing well.

Sending you both lots of love!

Guest Spencers_Greyt

Regardless of her health, you would have had a major guilt trip if you hadn't gotten home to see how she was for yourself. Hugs to you and Tuna - it's a long hard road you're both traveling.

I'm sorry your much-anticipated vacation had to be cut short, Sarah. But I'm very relieved to hear (as were YOU) that Tuna perked up once mommy was home and figured out what the problem was. It sounds as if you and your vet are communicating very closely and being honest with each other about each development, which is very comforting. And now that you're home, Tuna is much more relaxed and snorkeling down her food. (Snorkeling is good! ;)) Sometimes it seems as if these oldsters are walking a very fine line, and almost anything can tip them one way or another.

But I think there are times when a girl just needs her mommy, no matter how old she is. :) It may be a bit disappointing now, but you will never regret coming home to be with your baby girl.

Jordan :bighug

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg