Final Hour Wizard Help

Guest SusanP

Guest LindsaySF

Sorry to hear about your recent troubles.

I would add carafate also, will definitely help with tummy upset. Hopefully you see some improvement weaning off the pred. It is definitely worth a try.

I hope the blood tests today reveal something.

It sucks that different vets have such different opinions and ways of going about things. If you feel more comfortable with your regular vet, I would stick with them. Good luck.

Guest SusanP

Wiz has always been kind of sensitive to things...I remember when we first got him from the track, he and his buddies had some skin issues, but Wizard's were worse than the other two. Had a heck of a time getting it under control and keeping him comfortable.

Hugs!

Kristin, I never knew he'd had a skin issue when he came in off the track. Nancy said once he looked "rough", but I don't think she was able to elaborate. What was the problem those guys had? He has never shown any sign of allergies or anything since we've had him, and it's been almost 8 years now.

Guest SusanP

Thanks, all of you for your suggestions and wishes. You are helping me keep my sanity. I'm about as dizzy and out of it today as I've been, and poor DS, who was up all night in great distress over Wizard, ended up staying home from school today. But Wizard seems very comfy today. Maybe halving his morning prednisone has helped a little already?

Vet didn't feel pedialyte would help--the electrolyte that tested low is chloride. She said that could cause muscle twitching, said getting him off the pred is what will help this. She also put him on a liver supplement Denamarin, because his liver enzymes are now slightly elevated, also, she believes, due to the prednisone. BUN was also a little elevated, and she said that could be from ulceration/bleeding from the prednisone--his stools have been getting a little tarry.

I'll ask about carafate.

Guest SusanP

For the record, Wizard's lost about 10 lbs through this. Lucky for us he was never a skinny greyhound, though the vets never called him overweight, either. I think he lost even more that first week on these meds, but peanut butter has helped put a couple back on.

It's been so long, but, I think it was flea dermatitis...his skin was red and itchy.

Since he's probably not been infested with fleas since you've had him, he's probably been fine :) His just seemed worse than the other two...those three sweet boys really had my heart :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Sending many hugs, prayers and wishes that Wizard continues to do better. I'm so sorry that you are all going through such a terrible time. It's awful when you are sick with worry and dread when they are sick, and you'd do anything to help them to feel well again.

Lynn_siggie-1.jpg

Guest SusanP

He's been on half dose of prednisone all day now...and he just chowed down on dry kibble!!!!!!! Could it make a difference so fast? I didn't expect it to...

:nod Yep, cutting it down helps...I'm a bit surprised at the degree to which it has helped, but, I'm certainly not complaining!

:yay Wizard! Chow down, buddy. Hopefully his poo will be okay too.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Just checking for an update and glad I did. :) Sending good thoughts. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

This is really encouraging, Susan! I hope you all get a good night's sleep and have more good news in the morning. Yay!

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Just sneaking a minute to check on Wizard and family. How are you guys doing? Any new observations about Wizard today?

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Guest SusanP

Well, no giant changes yet, but he did eat about 1/2 can of dog food last night and some soaked kibble. Mostly he's holding out for the Gerber pureed meats...He's taking his pills without difficulty, seems hungrier, his poop is no longer looking tarry; he is still having a few head spasms, but overall seems more comfortable, and the vet did say this won't happen overnight. No recurrence of his original problems of sudden poop and pee accidents in the house--vet also said in some cases a course of prednisone corrects a problem like mild IBS altogether, though if he continues to have problems, there are certainly other meds we can use. He is still walking slowly and not going downstairs to the yard.

One odd thing I've noticed is that sick as he's been, Wizard's coat seems to be shinier than before--must be the piles of peanut butter he has been eating!

I'm breathing easier for now--I feel like I have about as much recovering to do as Wizard! I'm still not positive he'll make it, but I am hopeful now. And I do believe that prednisone was the cause of most of his misery in the last 3 weeks.

ETA: DD helped me put Wizard's photo there at left. It was his turn; Dr. Doug had the limelight long enough!

Thank you all for caring about my sweet boy.

Edited by SusanP

Well, no giant changes yet, but he did eat about 1/2 can of dog food last night and some soaked kibble. Mostly he's holding out for the Gerber pureed meats...He's taking his pills without difficulty, seems hungrier, his poop is no longer looking tarry; he is still having a few head spasms, but overall seems more comfortable, and the vet did say this won't happen overnight. No recurrence of his original problems of sudden poop and pee accidents in the house--vet also said in some cases a course of prednisone corrects a problem like mild IBS altogether, though if he continues to have problems, there are certainly other meds we can use. He is still walking slowly and not going downstairs to the yard.

One odd thing I've noticed is that sick as he's been, Wizard's coat seems to be shinier than before--must be the piles of peanut butter he has been eating!

I'm breathing easier for now--I feel like I have about as much recovering to do as Wizard! I'm still not positive he'll make it, but I am hopeful now. And I do believe that prednisone was the cause of most of his misery in the last 3 weeks.

ETA: DD helped me put Wizard's photo there at left. It was his turn; Dr. Doug had the limelight long enough!

Thank you all for caring about my sweet boy.

So good to hear some encouraging news about Wizard. Good thoughts continuing to Wizard and his family. :grouphug

:grouphug

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

:nod One day at a time :)