Anyone Heard This Before?

Guest freightsmom

Guest freightsmom

Freight's dermatologist is telling me that the reason he gets bacterial skin infections more often is due to his thyroid. Short story...last year she wanted to put Freight on thyroid meds. I posted to GT his results and got overwhelming feedback that they were within the normal range for greys. So, I passed on starting him on the meds.

I will be researching this before the 2 week follow up visit. I'm wondering if anyone else has had a vet make this connection between thyroid and skin infections?

The thyroid can cause skin issues for sure. I don't know what the levels were but if I had doubts about starting on thyroid meds or not, my advice would come from my vet who is very versed with GH's,and Jean Dodds and as far as asking here, I would go to Batmom who has an excellent handle on thyroid labs

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Guest Swifthounds

Was his thyroid WLN for a greyhound? When was it last tested? There are lots of reasons that contribute to a dog having bacterial skin infections, so I'd be suspicious of anyone who said the thyroid was the sole culprit.

Roxanne, it is very common for other breeds of dogs with hypothyroidism to have recurrent skin and ear infections. Once started on supplementation, the issues disappear or decrease dramatically.

I took a look at his values, and although his TSH is normal, he has several other values (including T4, freeT4) that are low. Personally, I'd start him on the soloxine and see if his skin improves. If after some time, you see no improvement, you can wean him off.

Elphie, Kulee, Amanda, Harmony, Alex (hound mix), Phantom, Norbet, Willis (dsh), Autumn (Siamese) & Max (OSH) & mama rat, LaLa & baby Poppy! My bridge kids: Crooke & Mouse (always in my heart), Flake, Buzz, Snake, Prince (GSD), Justin & Gentry (Siamese), Belle (Aussie/Dalmatian mix), Rupert (amstaff) and Fred, Sirius, Severus, Albus, George, Hagrid, Hermione, Minerva, Marilyn, Wren, Molly, Luna, Tonks, Fleur, Ginny, Neville, Bill, Percy, Rose & Charlie (rats)

It would certainly be worth consulting with OSU.

Low thyroid can certainly contribute to skin problems but so can a bunch of other things -- primary bacterial infection that is never fully cleared, tick-borne disease, secondary infection due to allergy .....

What kind of infection(s) does he have -- were they cultured? How have they been treated?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

I don't know about the skin infections but I would always have either Dr. Dodds or Dr. Couto read the results.

Good luck.

This is definitely a questions for Dr. Couto and Dodds. I'd email both, sending the symptoms and thyroid numbers, and see what they say.

Good Luck!

Yes. the only symptom my late Great Dane had was recurrent staph infections. her hypothyroidism was found on routine yearly lab work and the vet didn't believe it. we redrew her and sent it to Michigan and they did confirm low thyroid. she had no weight gain, no lethargy and a beautiful glossy black coat except for her multiple skin abscesses.

Angie, Pewter, and Storm-puppy

Forever missing Misty-Mousie (9/9/99 - 10/5/15)
Fort Wayne, Indiana

Guest freightsmom

Roxanne, it is very common for other breeds of dogs with hypothyroidism to have recurrent skin and ear infections. Once started on supplementation, the issues disappear or decrease dramatically.

I took a look at his values, and although his TSH is normal, he has several other values (including T4, freeT4) that are low. Personally, I'd start him on the soloxine and see if his skin improves. If after some time, you see no improvement, you can wean him off.

Hey there! Thanks for the advice......We did go ahead and start the meds. I was just leary of starting him on something he may not really need.

Totally forgot I could have called you and ask about this....been that kind of week....LOL.

My Plummer has an ongoing bacterial toe infection which has been biopsied with not to much results because of lack of good tissue.

So now vet did thyroid panel and T3 and T4 are low. She will start him on low dose meds and feels this could help his toe problem. We will see!!!