Coughs...sort Of Vomits Everytime He Drinks/eats

To preface, I tried searching this and found nothing.

Whenever Chance eats or drinks, he does it so fast that he coughs and throws up practically EVERY time. I tried to slow down his eating by putting a tuna can in the bowl so he has to eat around it. That has helped...But as for water, I guess I could just put VERY little in it and fill it up 100x a day, but realistically I can't see myself keeping up with that.

So...first off, is it normal that he coughs and sometimes throws up the water after consuming it? (just once..he's fine after)

Secondly, what can I do to prevent it at least a little?

The water is much more of an issue then food now.... He worries me sometimes.

Thx...

This is not really normal in greyhounds. If it's because he's drinking very quickly, there are bowls o slow the drinking down.

http://www.nexusgadgets.com/alphapaw-drink-better-dog-bowl-pr-16308.html

As for food google, brake fast dog bowls.

eta: It can't hurt to have him checked out at the vet.

Edited by Sambuca

Sunshine coughs after every drink. I think she just tries to guzzle too fast. Can't miss anything ya know. When we first brought her home she would bolt her food. I feed her on the ground and since we feed raw she has learned to stop and chew/chomp a few times before swallering. :) I don't stress about the water since she's not actually throwing up. No clue what to do about the water, but they sell bowls for the kibble. Cheapest ones I've seen are here http://www2.pulsetv.com/LARGE-Slow-Em-Down-Pet-Bowl/productinfo/5259/ I wonder if it would work with water since it's all broken up?

------

Jessica

Guest krystolla

For horses, I've heard that they put stones in the feed to slow them down. It might be cheaper to drop a big (too big to swallow) stone in the middle of the water dish to see if that helps.

My Hack coughs sometimes when he eats but I don't think it's because he's eating too fast -- he eats really slowly. Possibly it's a side effect of being named "Hacker". Mixing water in with his kibble helped until he decided to eat so slowly that the kibble turned to cement before he finished. Also putting all of his dinner in food dispensing toys like kongs, lots of work but effective.

My cats, being big Maine Coons, have a tendency to eat too fast when given small kibbles. Big kibbles work better. Incidentally, rocks in the food dish don't work for cats. They carefully remove the rocks, pig out, vomit, eat the vomit, and wander off like it's all normal. :blink:

I haven't had any luck finding oversized kibbles for dogs though. I guess that's an advantage for the raw feeding folks -- big chunks of food.

These suggestions are greyt so far...thank you!

Food isn't really a big problem ...it's the water! A big rock is a FABULOUS idea! Thank you krystolla! The food choking got really better when i added the tuna can...so i went to see what i could put in his drinking bow....the tupperware or bowl isn't cutting it. rolleyes.gif

I like the links the other two posted...I will keep them in mind! thx!

Guest Energy11

Goldie GULPS her water, too, and coughs it up.

A friend of mine suggested using a bundt pan for the water. I haven't tried it yet, but, it makes sense.

Good Luck. ... She also uses it for her food.

Guest NJgrey

Ellie coughs on water too. Not all of the time, but she mostly does it if she's been playing or excited. Then she'll drink and cough some of the water back up. Other times she'll drink and do just a little cough. We asked the vet about it and she didn't seem to think it was a big deal.

She only coughs on food if it's too dry. Adding some water or chick broth to her kibble helps a ton. She never coughs when she eats stuff like turkey necks, chop meat or chicken with brown rice.

Maybe it's the water in NJ :)

Guest Smiley

Peanut does this after drinking pretty often. We discussed it with our vet who said it's likely Laryngeal Paralysis. It can be serious, but he felt that unless there was an issue with her breathing that for now we'll just keep an eye on it. This may be a question to ask your vet the next time you go.

Peanut does this after drinking pretty often. We discussed it with our vet who said it's likely Laryngeal Paralysis. It can be serious, but he felt that unless there was an issue with her breathing that for now we'll just keep an eye on it. This may be a question to ask your vet the next time you go.

I definitely will. ..thank you! He barely does it with food...tuna can in middle, plus plenty of water to make it yummy. With water, he just drinks too much at once. I stop him sometimes, especially at the dogpark, so he can catch his breath...SWALLOW rolleyes.gif ...then take some more.

It's nice to hear other's hounds do it, but it still irks me b/c i feel like..."What if there is a blockage and I ignored it!" I wanted to check with you guys before emptying my pockets over nothing at the vet! blush.gif

....maybe IT IS the Jersey water lol.gif

Thx GT

Guest hlpnhounds

I definitely will. ..thank you! He barely does it with food...tuna can in middle, plus plenty of water to make it yummy. With water, he just drinks too much at once. I stop him sometimes, especially at the dogpark, so he can catch his breath...SWALLOW rolleyes.gif ...then take some more.

It's nice to hear other's hounds do it, but it still irks me b/c i feel like..."What if there is a blockage and I ignored it!" I wanted to check with you guys before emptying my pockets over nothing at the vet! blush.gif

....maybe IT IS the Jersey water lol.gif

Thx GT

However, the vet tech in me thinks it could also be a condition called Megaesophagus. The elevated feeding/drnking stations do tend to help but if it continues, I would have it checked out as it could lead to bigger problems down the road. A simple radiograph of the neck and chest is all you need for a diagnosis.