Asta Update: Very Wobbly Today Even W/meds

Well, shoot. Asta's limp has gotten much more pronounced. It's the worst when she first gets up, and it really tones down after a bit of walking around, but then she just gets very, very wobbly. It's not just one-sided anymore — her whole back end seems affected. She couldn't even stand for her breakfast this morning, poor baby. Thankfully, though, she was hungry enough to eat some of it from her bed. Amazingly, she seems in good spirits and wanted to do her play-mouth thing when I was petting her earlier.

So, as soon as I get out of my all-afternoon work thing, we're heading back to the clinic for X-rays. I blocked her doggy door and the stairs to the basement, although I don't think she would voluntarily use either one today.

Trying to keep my worry in check.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Guest smarthound

Has your veterinarian checked her for lumbosacral stenosis? Maybe the current symptoms are unrelated to the previous sprain.

Here's a link to an article about LS. GO Newsletter Check page 7 for an article about Cauda Equina Symdrome.

let us know how things go at the vet.

Thanks much for the tip, Jan — to my knowledge, the vet did not check for that, but I'll definitely ask her about it. We're talking again on Saturday (assuming we get through tomorrow okay.) She added Methocarbamol and Tramadol to the Rimadyl Rx from yesterday.

On the X-rays: The vet thought everything looked normal but that there was one spot where the space between vertebrae was narrower than the others. To me, they looked to be barely touching, but the vet thought it could also just be that Asta had moved. A radiologist will look at the X-rays in the next few days and offer his opinion. So will the vet we've been referred to for acupuncture.

Meanwhile, I will be keeping Asta on strict rest.

Lisa

Dog mama to angel-boy Ewan (racing name Atascocita Ewan), 3/26/10 to 8/23/20, and angel-girl Asta (racing name Pazzo Asta), 6/16/01 to 9/7/13.

Turns out the vet did have LS in mind during yesterday's exam (she just didn't mention it by name to me). Asta passed her neurological exam. And one of the things the radiologist might recommend after reading the X-rays could be a dye test with repeat X-rays.

The additional meds have caused some improvement in Asta's mobility, so that is a relief, at least for right now. Will keep pursuing answers.

Lisa