Boris Snaps At Kids

Guest jharr

Guest brandi007

Hannah started off growling and snapping at kids - they're scary! When they approach dogs it's usually on eye level (being so short and all), they stare right at the dog and make a lot of noise! I've curbed this by working with my young nieces. First rule is we don't go anywhere near the dog-beds when the dogs are on them - awake or sleeping. We never approach the dogs, we always let the dogs approach us. We never hug the dogs and with some super-supervision (and some treats... ;) ) Hannah now actively seeks out my niece Brooklyn for loving. Crowds of kids still scare the poop out of her but she's getting better :) Good luck!

Guest Swifthounds

I just wish he would get a job and pay his share of the rent!

I just wish my crew would clean the house and make the bed!

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I would not own a dog that would bite my child for approaching him while on his bed. There are thousands of normal dogs that do not act like that and need homes. Now, I understand not letting a child get in the dog's bed/crate and not letting a child pull on or bother a dog. But, to live in this house, the dog must be the type who would not snap if my son messed with his food or went up to his bed. Do I allow those? Hell no! But I'm also not taking any chances by having dogs like that around. A nine year old, especially, is hardly a child anymore, certainly not like a toddler. JMO

I do think this is more a problem in greys than other dogs too. That said, I also work hard to avoid situations where it could happen. I'm very careful. I also can read a dog. I have all big dogs but they are MINE, they are not family dogs. Perhaps that is the difference too. I also do sports with them and am not your average pet owner. So, I don't know...

One more PS- I have one older dog that would growl if my son was too much, and I gave it a couple months and the dog got over it. Never snapped/bit, though. So, it's not hopeless.

Here is a little twist, though. Boris likes to lay around in the traffic areas of the house. So far he hasn't growled or snapped when we are stepping over him, but at this point I wouldn't put it past him. How to deal with that? I mean he lays himself out right at the bottom of the stairs that go up to the boys bedrooms or right in front of the refrigerator when we are preparing dinner. How do we respect his space when his space is expanding to fill the whole house?

Phaelin would do this also. I learned that if I tried stepping over him, he would immediately get up and I'd end up flat on my butt. So, I started clapping my hands and saying "Move!" when I wanted Phaelin to get out of the way. As soon as he would get up and move, I would tell him "Good boy!". He responds to praise, so he learned pretty quickly. Now, I just have to tell him to move and he does (and he still gets praised).

Paula & her pups--Paneer (WW Outlook Ladd), Kira & Rhett (the whippets)
Forever in my heart...Tinsel (Born's Bounder - 11/9/90-12/18/01), Piper, Chevy, Keno, Zuma, Little One, Phaelin & Winnie
Greyhound Adoption Center ~ So Cal rep for Whippet Rescue And Placement

For beautiful beaded collars, check out my Facebook page: The Swanky Hound

Guest Samantha

I must be pretty lucky, of all the greys our family has owned, wether racing or pets, we've never had one that had space issues. Ive had Maddison just 3 weeks now and she's a lazy lump that lies in the middle of floors and WILL NOT move, no matter how many times you say MOVE, I physically have to move her butt, and she looks at me asthough Im crazy.

Even though Ive never had any grey with space issues, I have a 9yr old son, who was told never to approach her on her bed, or while she was sleepin( Maddison sleeps with eyes open also) & to always call and make sure she is awake before stepping over her(while we work on the MOVE command lol)I'ts common sense really. Although Maddison actually couldnt care a less what you do around her while she's lazing about. Im sure in time and with work you will over come the little snaps and growls, its all new to him.

Good Luck

He's a handsome boy and very lucky to have a patient family.

Guest SusanP

Our bridge angel, Simon, was a 7-yr-old broodie when we adopted her. She was our 3rd hound, and she quickly began snapping at DD, then about 6, when she was lying down (but not on her bed) and dd approached her or talked to her, even as far away as several feet. She broke the skin (slightly) on her forehead at least once when I was right there supervising and dd was several feet from her, talking to her in a gentle voice, not close at all. We kept DD away from her and gave her time to settle in. We always had to keep our faces at a distance from her while she was lying down, though she didn't mind hands, but in her later years, she'd relaxed so much that DD and I could hug her when she was reclining.

Remember, too, that snapping is not biting; your dog is showing at least a degree of control in this situation. Our Zippy used to snap at the other dogs when they walked by her bed at night only. She'd lunge up and bark/snap, but never once actually bit anyone. Once she settled down, she stopped doing this...until we got a new dog, and then she went through the whole thing all over again. she also had sleep aggression and would snap at us when in our bed, but she didn't bite down. What your dog is doing is something to take very, very seriously, *but* do notice that he hasn't actually bitten at this point.

1 month is very, very new to your home. It can take a year for them to settle in fully. I'd have your youngest son keep his distance for now, continue to work with the behaviorist, and see if he settles down. A lot of our dogs had problems early on that just sort of worked themselves out as they relaxed more. Kids can seem especially scary because they are so much more unpredictable. Your little boy might have inadvertantly frightened the dog by hugging too firmly or stepping on a paw, something a new dog wouldn't laugh off the way an older one would. Certainly do not let the kids approach the dog when he is resting, especially on his bed. Do not let visiting children anywhere near him; I'd use a baby gate when guests are over.

I'm hoping that he will get over this, because it is clear you love him.