Itchy, Scratchy, Itchy, Scratchy

Does the title give it away? :rolleyes:

Poor boy, who is staying with me for a while,,,, totally different subject and a long story!

He has a skin infection, it has spread all over his beautiful brindle body! we did a scraping, no bugs. just a moist dermatitis. He is on Cephelaxin, 2 pills, 2x day. seems like a lot. however he is SOOO ITCHY!!! he is wearing a thin t-shirt material 4 legged pj's 24/7 so he doesn't scratch and bite his skin off.

I am using a Miracle Coat product from Pet Edge that says, soothing, relieves itching and pain from hot spots.

and he is on benedryl, one pill morning , one pill nite,, just so he sleeps in peace.

Does anyone have an Itch serum they'd like to share... home made or purchased... Not desperate yet,, but I can see this might take a while to clear up.

Thanks!

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Poor Boy!

I don't have any suggestions on the itching, other than Benadryl. What kind of food is he eating? Could that be part of the problem w/ his skin / allergies?

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

What about the Genesis spray? It really helped Wayne a lot. It's a steroid topical spray and inexpensive.

A script is needed though

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have a little Genesis spray left over from a couple years ago, Darbee had an 6 month allergy itch.. It did work for her, I will empty the bottle on him. wonder if it goes bad after this much time?

I do think it was brought on by stress in his previous home. he has been on the same food for quite some time.... however, it isn't the best food, and was going to change him to what i feed all my others anyway. Food change is in the works. :)

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Just a note on Benadryl. According to my vet, Benadryl is always under dosed and we think it's not working.

Wayne in the summer is on 100mg 3 times a day and he's 75lbs.

Even though it's an OTC med, I would ask the vet about increasing it before just doing it.

I'm not sure about the shelf life of the Genesis

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I agree to increase the Benadryl dosage. I believe for a dog over 50 lbs it's 2-3 tabs, 3 times daily. For my 35 lb dog I did 1.5 tablets, twice daily.

This was for allergy-related itching. We also used witch hazel with either aloe vera or lavender in it (I forget the brand name), applied topically with a cotton ball, twice a day. She's not fond of wet stuff but as soon as it dried it seemed to give her some relief.

I agree increase the benedryl dose, and any topical steriod spray, benedryl also makes a spray

:bounce2 YES ,,, benedryl spray!!! I have that too,,, where is my mind? Thank you,,,

I vacillate between Knowing and denying that i'm going crazy! :blink:

:blush