Help For A Grey Who Has a lot Of Missing Teeth With Eating

Ali is missing all her front teeth top and bottom in between her "fangs" and she has no big morals anymore. She usually licks up her kibble but I am noticing she has been having difficulty with that or just its getting hard for her. I moisten her kibble and mix in some canned is usually how I prepare her meals. Since I noticed she is not liking this, I put her kibble in the blender to chop it up. She does like this but sometimes she doesn't eat all of it. Looking for some ideas, I don't really want to feed her total canned food as her diet. She had a dental done 3 weeks ago and she has a clean bill of health so its not anything related her systems.

Edited by stlgrey

Orion gets like this sometimes (he lost most of his teeth in a dental a few years ago).

What I was told to do is boil water in your kettle (even bringing it to a "half boil" works). Pour a good amount on the food and let it sit. The food will sop up much of the liquid and become nice and mushy. When it has cooled off enough (you can prepare it ahead of time), pour off some of the excess, and give it to her. They seem to appreciate if it's still a wee bit warm, too.

Jennifer and Beamish (an unnamed Irish-born Racer) DOB: October 30, 2011

Forever and always missing my "Vowels", Icarus, Atlas, Orion, Uber, and Miss Echo, and Mojito.

Dogs don't even use those teeth for eating kibble. I'm sure they do for catching and tearing meat, but...

If she recently had a dental, I'd be concerned that they accidentally caused a gum infection when they were poking about.

Take a good look in her mouth and consider a vet visit.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Dogs don't even use those teeth for eating kibble. I'm sure they do for catching and tearing meat, but...

If she recently had a dental, I'd be concerned that they accidentally caused a gum infection when they were poking about.

Take a good look in her mouth and consider a vet visit.

She has been looked over by the vet, no infection or other issues. She might not use teeth to crunch the kibble, but ever since she has them no more, she hasn't been eating as good. I will try the kettle trick.

Guest MyBoys

Maybe you could try the Natural Balance rolled food, it is not mushy soft but it is not hard like kibble. My senior guy is really fussy and I cut that up in small pieces and mix it with his kibble and a little boiled chicken and warm water, he loves it.

Buddy only had 2 teeth left. I would use hot tap water, just enough to barely cover his food.

I have a gas stove, so with the pilot light on the over stays @ 70 degrees. I would put the food bowl in the over to sort of cook it for @ 1/2 hour. He was always dancing around at meal time, so I guess he liked it. He ate every meal.

Willow( Hi Tech Popandgo ) CGC #31965 Calico Salad x MayPop 8-9-93/9-24-07 Austin( Nodak Austin ) #55202 Chrisse's Twelve x Lotsa Liz 2-25-96/2-15-05 Matt( Kelsos Metaphor ) #90695 Oswald Cobblepot x Kelso's Movita 8-10-00/2-28-14 Buddy (Aljo Class Act) #78137 Action By Design x Miss Classy 12-8-98/8-29-09 Sonny (Onaim Excalibur)#97927 Flying Train x Rough Diamond 9-7-01/1-9-2016Hunter (SS Snow Roll) #35135 Craigie Whistler x Lightning Snow 10-4-2005/9-23-17 Leo (Yolo Empleo)#72060 4-13-18 Fiesta Paraguas x Mega Bien Hecho