Diatomaceous Earth

Guest TeddysMom

I have been doing some research on DE and have decided that I am going to put my crew on it. I have to worm out here in the country every 2 months per vet's orders because of the wildlife. If the DE cuts that down, I will be very happy plus I have already put it on the dog bedding. I just have to get to the health food store on Monday and get some more.

Just make sure you get the organic human grade stuff. I add it to the girls food every few months. And dose for 3 weeks straight. Worms really freak me out so it can't hurt :-) does not work on heartworm so keep doing the monthly dose of that.

Edited by jgeiger2006

------

Jessica

Guest sorenkkg

How interesting! I didn't know this existed, but I have heard (again, recently) that MANY more humans have intestinal worms than know they do blink.gif

So I think this is a great idea!

I have a lot of experience with it in the garden, works great under pots sitting right on the patio, where *shudder* earwigs congregate and other creepy crawlies... so why not inside?

Hmmm... I'm going to look into this, thanks!

Food-grade diatomaceous earth can be used as bedding for raising worms, so I really doubt that it's going to do anything useful when subjected to hydrochloric acid in the dog's stomach and mixed with all the other things the dog eats.

If your dog has worms, please treat with Nemex, Panacur, Drontal, etc. as appropriate.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest TeddysMom

After 3 days of having the dogs on DE, I am a firm believer. I gave all the dogs 1 rounded tablespoon in their diner meal on Monday, Tuesday and last night. I have never seen so many worms come out before even on Drontal. I routinely worm every 6-8 weeks with Panacur or Strongid alternating and my two new greys, Mandy and Spencer have had two rounds of Drontal, even they had worms come out. On a side note, the pudding poop is gone too. I am also taking 1 tablespoon morning and night since I have IBD and have felt much better. I will continue this schedule and see how things progress down the road. After talking with my vet and her telling me that she saw no reason not to give it to the the dogs that it couldn't hurt them, I am happy that I found it. It is $1.14 a pound at the health food store here in town.

I am taking it myself(human grade) for my joints. It has many uses and can help w/cholesterol, skin problems, digestion, weight. I bought 3 big jars of it, both my DH and myself are taking it. Yep, it works great for worms in dogs too and as a natural pesticide.

med_gallery_14228_2915_582.jpg
Roberta & Michael with Furkids- Flower (Shasta Flowers 6/7/06) & Rascal the kitty - Missing our sweet angels - Max(M's Mad Max) 10/12/02 - 12/3/15, Sara (Sara Raves 6/30/01 - 4/13/12) Queenie & Pandora the kitties - gone but never forgotten

After 3 days of having the dogs on DE, I am a firm believer. I gave all the dogs 1 rounded tablespoon in their diner meal on Monday, Tuesday and last night. I have never seen so many worms come out before even on Drontal. I routinely worm every 6-8 weeks with Panacur or Strongid alternating and my two new greys, Mandy and Spencer have had two rounds of Drontal, even they had worms come out. On a side note, the pudding poop is gone too. I am also taking 1 tablespoon morning and night since I have IBD and have felt much better. I will continue this schedule and see how things progress down the road. After talking with my vet and her telling me that she saw no reason not to give it to the the dogs that it couldn't hurt them, I am happy that I found it. It is $1.14 a pound at the health food store here in town.

Really??? I use it as a preventative thing and honestly I would be REALLY freaked if I actually saw worms coming out... but it's nice to know it actually works since I haven't been able to find any medical studies to back it up. B) If it works so well I wonder if there is a danger of it removing the worms too quickly... Why are your dogs so wormy? Just curious since I've never delt with them before

------

Jessica

Guest TeddysMom

Really??? I use it as a preventative thing and honestly I would be REALLY freaked if I actually saw worms coming out... but it's nice to know it actually works since I haven't been able to find any medical studies to back it up. B) If it works so well I wonder if there is a danger of it removing the worms too quickly... Why are your dogs so wormy? Just curious since I've never delt with them before

The vet says it is because we are surrounded by cows, horses and wildlife. The 2 fenced acres was used as a cow pasture before we bought it plus I did take in foster dogs. The greys all had worms when they came to me and all got 2 doses of drontal at first and now are on the normal 6-8 weeks worming schedule. After they are all on the DE for 30 days I am going to take ramdom stool samples from all the dogs to the vet and see what shows up. Worms are really nasty and can play havoc with a dog's system so if this will help, I am all for it.