Corn Surgery

Garry is going in Monday morning..he has been battling a terrible corn on his front paw for a long time. after many hullings, kerasolv, etc. it keeps coming back and seems to be bigger! He is in bad, bad pain. He went in Monday to be hulled again and she feels it is so big and deep hulling will not solve his problem. she suggested removing it under "twilight" sedation..this way she says she can get to the root and blood supply. I have great confidence in my vet, she is very grey saavy. I am just looking for experiences from anyone who may have had one of their hounds have this done! thanks!

I had my Conor's surgically removed right before Christmas. It took a couple of months for him to heal & still he'll walk a little funny without boots. But he could hardly walk on both front feet. I think he feels tons better, definitely in the house & yard - runs like crazy again. He's got a small one on a back paw that I've been hulling & hope to keep to a minimum.

It must have hurt terribly to have them removed but Conor is a tough little dog & he did really well with everything. I'm glad I had it done.

BTW, I used medipaws to keep the wraps clean. I ordered the large size but it was still too big even over the big bandages. But it did the trick with all the precipitation we had last winter.

Best of luck for Garry.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Hope your experience goes more smoothly than mine. Rex had them surgically taken off of 3 paws and it was not a good experience. He was in pain despite the fenatal (sp?) patch. I had to lift his 90# off the stoop for quite a while for every potty break as he could jump and the spray to toughen his pads back up stung like hell. Then they came back and I just used duct tape.

I know that is not what you want to hear, but I would never do that again.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

We had laser surgery done for a corn on Celeste's foot. She recovered well. But... it was expensive and the corn still came back. :( We're pursing other options now - won't pay to have the laser surgery again.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Bean_Scotch

I had surgery done on my grey that had corns-NEVER again. It came back less than 3 months later and was totally not work the 400.00 I spent on surgery not to mention the recovery was horrible as she wouldn't walk on it.... I now use therapaws and have it hulled every 3 weeks or so....seems to work for her.

Guest abbysmom

I hope all goes well for Garry. We had Mocha's corns surgically removed years ago, but they grew back pretty quickly. I had good luck using therapaws and hulling at home after they grew back. That kept her fairly comfortable. I hope Garry has much better luck!

Check this out. Very promising and good results. http://www.murrayavenuerx.com/

I have been following this on another group cornhound.com....a group for grey owners with corns..it seems like the "Jury is still out" on that cream..most people there are not reporting success..I think I will hold off. These corns are SOOOO frustrating!

Guest boondog

Believe me, I know your frustration. I'm currently trying the new cream method for Boon. IMHO, some of the people on the cornhound group gave up too soon. We put Boon through the surgery a few years ago. The corn was back within three months. Personally, I would never do it again. Best of luck to you. Corns are awful.

Zema had hers hulled per the article -- just elevated and plucked out, not cutting -- and then the surgical laser run very lightly over the hulled surface. No bandage needed, no bootie needed (I may have had her wear a sock for a few days), no soreness, no corn for 9 months. We hulled the 2-3 new tiny corns at that time and they never came back.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I've been using the cream on Dalt for 12 days and two popped out tonight with my help! I'm over the moon excited about this. He's missing a toe on each back foot and has corns on each pad. It's horrible how lame he's been. I do believe in the cream. But I've soaked his feet in olive oil, then applied the cream religiously. I will continue to make sure they are gone.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

My Sonny had a corn on his front right paw, couldn't walk on hard surfaces and held the paw up. Hulling didn't last long and the reports I read on surgery were not encouraging either. I got something called Bazooka Gel from the chemist which people over here(UK) use for verruccas/warts/corns etc. I dabbed this on the corn according to instructions 6 days a week after soaking the paw and rubbed the corn with an emery stick on the seventh day. This went on for weeks with the corn gradually getting smaller until it finally disappeared. Now after almost nine months it has not returned and my boy can walk and run on anything again.

Sue from England

Our little Lena had her corn surgically removed over a year ago.

We took her to OSU Vet hospital to see the best Ortho Doctor (Dr. Dyce) and he told us that since her corn likely occurred because she had an injury to that pad (corns can grow in a pad that has been injured... for example, if something punctured the pad or the pad was cut open or something got lodged in the pad and had to be dug/cut out) then it would be less likely to grow back once surgically removed. If the corn has occurred because of viral reasons (coming from something that is occurring inside the body) it would be more likely for the corn to grow back.

Since she was not using the leg with the corn anyway and she was basically a tripod, her recovery was not too bad . The hardest part was keeping her from chewing off the bandage! :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, her corn has started to grow back :(

Suzie Collins

Owner/Artist Skinny Hound Designs

Greyhound decals, magnets and signs.

Fur kids: Isabelle and Petey

Guest amour

Don't do it! Save your money! I've spent $1500.00 on one d******corn and it just keeps coming back bigger and better. Right now I'm trying the new cream we'll see what happens!?

Guest jerseygirl

Zithromax.

Our vet has been working with us for over a year to get rid of Riley's corns - hullings, laser surgeries - they always came back. On a hunch recently, she put Riley on Zithromax in case the cause of his corns wasn't mechanical. Considering the environment they are raised in (hard to control fleas, ticks, etc.), she thought it could be Bartonella. It's common in cats and manifests itself in many ways, one of which is impaired modulation of the immune system and the inflammatory response. After one round of Zithro, his small corns + the roots popped right out, and his large ones had shrunk to less than half the size, which we'd never seen before with any other treatment. He's since undergone a second round, and is on his third, until we get everything out. And Riley's teeth are AMAZING on Zithro - another reason to suspect Bartonella, which can cause extreme gum disease in cats. Seriously, they're like a Crest commercial. She finally sent his bloodwork to a vet that does Bartonella research, and Riley came up positive, a 3 on a scale of (what I recall) 4! Our other grey, without corns and whose teeth don't get as bad between brushings, came up negative. It's definitely an interesting lead, considering everything else we've done, and one that is very promising if confirmed. In cats at least, many effects of Bartonella are reversible with clearance of the bacteria (like the gum disease), and don't manifest themselves again.

This may not be the cause for *every* corn dog, but hopefully it can help some of them. The Zithro isn't cheap, even the generic, but it's totally worth it if it works, and is still cheaper than multiple surgeries. I'm not saying surgery is the wrong option - every dog is different and what hasn't work for some, might still work for others. It just wasn't a long term solution for us, and I thought I'd share this in the event that there are others out there who have reached a dead end, like us, and are looking to explore other options.

Liz

Very interesting about zithromax - I will keep that in mind for sure. Conor's corns were pretty bad but his teeth are exquisite. Thanks for the info. smile.gif

At the OSU conference in March, Dr. Couto mentioned a study done on greys & non-greys with corns. They found non-grey corns are viral in nature but not greyhound corns.

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Very interesting about zithromax - I will keep that in mind for sure. Conor's corns were pretty bad but his teeth are exquisite. Thanks for the info. smile.gif

At the OSU conference in March, Dr. Couto mentioned a study done on greys & non-greys with corns. They found non-grey corns are viral in nature but not greyhound corns.

Did he say if they're bacterial? It sure seems to be, considering the zithromax good effects.

Did he say if they're bacterial? It sure seems to be, considering the zithromax good effects.

No, he just said that this particular study ruled out a viral cause, for greyhounds anyway. It was a Tufts/MSU paper.

Guest jerseygirl

I'll have to ask my vet next time I speak with her, but I'm not sure if she thinks the Bartonella could be causing the corns, or keeping the body from fighting whatever is (pathogenic or mechanical), due to its effect on the inflammatory/immune response. The body may have built in mechanisms to handle this sort of thing and keep it at bay, and the Bartonella could be interfering with that mechanism.

Again, this has just been my experience with the Zithromax, but hopefully it can help others as well :)

Liz

This is related to the topic in circuitous way. I just got a little scratch from my old cat who has trouble retracting her claws when she moves. I was on the phone with my nurse friend who told me to watch out for cat scratch fever b/c a relative died from it years ago.:( I looked it up; it's really Bartonella, which is bacterial. Apparently fleas carry it. I don't think the old girl ever had fleas, but I could be wrong. Just a tidbit of info to file away.

Guest MnMDogs

No, he just said that this particular study ruled out a viral cause, for greyhounds anyway. It was a Tufts/MSU paper.

I was going to bring this up as well. My vet copied this for me since she's been dealing with Mork and his corns. Send me a PM if you're interested in reading it. It may take me a little while to get it out to you, though.

Also, I would not do the surgery - we did it years ago on both of Mork's front feet. It was horrible, and they were back in 6 months or so.