Split Webbing Between Toes.

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

As I was trimming Jayne's nails last night I noticed she had torn part of the webbing between two toes on one of her back feet. It wasn't bleeding and didn't seem to hurt her and she's not limping. I washed it out and put some antibiotic ointment on it.

Other than keeping it clean and keeping her from running until it heals, should I be very concerned about it? Is it very common?

It's not that uncommon. We usually just soak it in epsom salts several times a day. They heal up pretty fast.

Those who would give up Essential Liberty
to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.
Ben Franklin

Guest Wasserbuffel

Awesome. I though it might be a fairly common occurance with these guys. Last night she was going crazy in the yard, running pell mell all over the place. She even slammed into my leg at about 20+mph. Ow.

Maddie had this problem, however she kept bleeding so after nearly a week of it not healing, off to the vet we go. They put in some stitches inthe webbing. Advised to come back in 10 days to remove them, however Dr Doctor decided that she wanted the stitches out early (7 days) and had licked them out. Even after I had put vet wrap and a baby sock on her foot she still managed to lick or get them out.

Edited by Maddiesmom

Amy Human Mommy to fur baby Maddie (Doobiesaurus) TDI certified. May 5, 2002-September 12, 2014 and Mille (Mac's Bayou Baby)CGC, TDI certified.

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg"]http://i270. photobucket.com/albums/jj93/Chillyhorse/siggies/maddie.jpg[/img]

It's all too common. Even if stitched, it will take a long time to heal. If you take her in to get it stitched, the vet may decide there's not enough left to stitch, and it's better left to heal split (although it sounds like hers is more minor).

I second the epsom salts--great at keeping the area clean and they reduce swelling and pain. If you can keep a baby sock on it, at least outside, that will help.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.