I Made A Big Mistake..not Sure What To Do

Garry has been started on Prozac for his anxiety, fears. It has been about one week so far. He is also suffering from a hug corn which was hulled monday, but he is going in this coming monday for surgical removal. He is in such pain with the corn it is adding to his anxiety. Vet said to give melexocam to see if that would help him, it didn't. I have tramadol (50mg) (mine) that I give to Missy occasionally when needed. Last nite I gave Garry one..seemed a bit happier this morning and limping a bit less. He also had his prozac. After breakfast this morning I gave him one more tramadol...then it dawned on me I didn/t check interactions! I read they interact!! I did not give him his prozac and will not give it this morning. My vet is off today, I can send her an e-mail..any suggestions!! I am so stupid. this poor guy has enough problems without me adding to them..

I just found this:

Tramadol

Tramadol (Ultram) is a centrally acting analgesic with two modes of action: weak binding to the µ-opiate receptor and inhibition of norepinephrine and serotonin reuptake. Reports of serotonin syndrome in association with tramadol and SSRI coadministration appear in the literature.27 Because depression and chronic pain syndromes frequently coexist, physicians are likely to encounter situations in which this combination is used.

We had talked about pain/depression possibility..but to be safe I will not give prozc this morning

Edited by dbullwinkel

Not a vet and don't play one on TV, but from personal experience on the human level I'd think that the syndrome mentioned would be during long term use of both drugs. In people you have to take antidepressants for around 3 weeks before they even build up to beneficial levels in your brain. A week on Prozac and one tramadol doesn't sound like a life threatening situation, but again I'm not a vet -- just think you might not need to flip out. :grouphug

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Swifthounds

Tramadol has pretty unique mood elevating properties. For that reason, it has been my pain med of choice for seniors in a fair amount of pain. You avoid the potentially serious side effects of NSAIDs, and it is mood elevating. I would not use the Prozac and the Tramadol at once without a vet's ok, though it doesn't sound like he has been on the Prozac long enough to have it build up in his system (at least not if he were a person). Actually, I wouldn't use them together even on the vet's ok. Neither the three vets at my specialty practic, nor the psychiatrists I've asked when I've interacted with them for professional reasons think it's a good idea (I have a hound that can really only take tramadol for pain and he's on a supplement for anxiety/cognitive function, so I had to check that for interactions as well).

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I am on a bunch of meds that all say the exact same thing, and I am doing fine (well... :lol ) but I wouldn't panic. Just talk to your vet.

Seeing this a bit late, but I would not worry but also would not continue both drugs.

If the Tramadol works, stick with it and drop the Prozac

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I have personally experienced serotonin syndrome, and while it can be very, very serious, it's not the kind of thing that you'd see by giving the two drugs one day. You'd need to give both for a more extended period of time to risk the syndrome (and not everyone dosed with both will develope it).

If you're going to switch drugs from prozac to tramdol, definitly consult your vet because the prozac will stay in the system for a while (I can't tell you how long in a dog) and theoretically you could have an interaction even after you've stopped giving prozac.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest earlkattangrey

You can always call the University of Penn Emergency Pet Info Line: 215-746-8911.

They helped me when Kattan ripped a nail off and I didn't have styptic powder on hand to stop the bleeding (they told me you can use white flour).

My vet said not to worry about one or two times giving both..it is over the long term. He goes in Monday for corn removal surgery. I will speak with her about the meds. He is always nervous...and scared...but at times it is soooo bad...I now think the bad times are coinciding with him having pain. Poor guy...

Guest jerseygirl

I do agree that the pain could be causing some anxiety. One of our greys, Riley, came to us an absolute basket of nerves. He's come a LONG way in 3.5 years, but is still nervous out of the house and in new situations. He also has been struggling with really bad corns that we've had a lot of trouble getting rid of (multiple hullings and laser surgeries). Recently, though, our vet tried a new treatment that has worked WONDERS for his corns. In 3.5 years, I can count on one hand the number of times he's peed on leash walks (don't worry, he has a fenced in lavatory) -- he just feels too vulnerable. Now that his corns are nearly gone, he does it nearly every day on his walks! He's still a somewhat shy dog, and the corns are definitely not the root cause of his nervousness, but the pain they caused were certainly a significant contribution to his level of comfort and security.

Hope the surgery goes well!

Liz