Excessive Thirst

...but flipping out all night. This past weekend I was pretty busy and a couple of times made a note the water bowl was empty -- that never happens. Maybe I had forgotten to fill it as often as I should? I worked a double (13 hours) on Saturday and the bowl was empty when I got home. It has seemed like the water was going faster than it should have been for the last week, but it's getting hotter outside and we do have a houseguest. Last night when I came home at 10 (left at 4) the bowl was empty. I filled it and he almost drained it. I picked it up but put it back down for the houseguest around 3 after he went to sleep. As soon as he woke up he woke me up hearing him trying to drain it again. It is picked up again but every single sceinario I can think of for such excessive thirst is really bad. He is not vomiting it up like when he had pancreatitis.

I guess bloodwork is in order. Other ideas?

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

No advice, just :goodluck

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Good thoughts for Poodle today. I have no idea what it would be tho Pam.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Good thoughts for your pup, Pam. Could be a UTI, could be a kidney issue, could be thyroid, could be any number of things. Hope you get a quick answer and an easy fix :):goodluck

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire

Blood work definitely needed. I have a doxie who I am fostering who as I put it "has a drinking problem." He had all the blood work done and everything came back normal. We did a water deprivation test to check for diabetes insipidus, and that was negative too. Vet thinks it could be psychological. Good luck.

Guest barkdogs

Hey Pam, I remember you from when I lived in Lubbock, Texas--I had the aussies and Trish the greyhound from The Haven Shelter--used to come hang at their meat and greets at Petsmart.

Anyway, maybe take a urine sample to your vet too, if you can get one. The things that I know about t hat cause spikes in drinking are diabetes and kidney function problems, but I am not a vet, for sure. If it turns out to be a chronic kidney function issue, there are some wonderful supplements that have helped Rachel (my shy red merle aussie--she is 14 now!) Epakitin is good if blood work shows excess phosphorus, and azodyl if BUN and creatine are high. I buy it online from amazon. Best of luck to you, and Best wishes for a speedy recovery for poodle.

PS noticed you are now in Dallas?

Hope all else is well!

Adelaide

Have had the same issue with my little Miss Rose, a nine year old bou7nce. No diabetes, no thyroid, no uti, no diabetes insipitus, kidneys are working better than mine, no cortisol issues, ultrasound showed no adrenal masses, couldn't find a darned thing. We chalked this polydipsia up to ???.

large.rycezmom_Sig.jpg.c7b7915d082b1bb35
The more I see of man, the more I like dogs. ~Mme. de Staël
Missing my Bridge Angels Ryce, Bo, Jim, Miss Millie, Miss Rose, Gustopher P Jones (Pimpmaster G), Miss Isabella and Miss Star

Take a breath Pam, could be so many things, many of which are treatable.

Like already mentioned, UTI, Diabetes, Cushings, kidney disease, and the list can go on. Key word, treatable.

Keep us posted, he's got a special prayer coming right up

Edited by cbudshome

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

Glad it's treatable. Don't know all the implications, but at least you know what it is. Still, you could probably have done without this and so could Poodle! :grouphug

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I hope this is easily treatable for Poodle. At least you can regulate his food intake. That alone should be easier than with humans since Poodle can't steal the car and make a midnight run to McDonalds.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I hope this is easily treatable for Poodle. At least you can regulate his food intake. That alone should be easier than with humans since Poodle can't steal the car and make a midnight run to McDonalds.

Oh, I don't know. He's a poodle after all. :D

Pam--I hope Poodlum feels better soon, and stays stable for a long time.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Hoping treatment goes well, Pam. Keep us posted, OK?

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

The shot this afternoon has curbed the water intake -- he said it would within 24 hours, but just the one seemed to help a lot.

I went to Wal-Mart after work (it was totally dead -- I made $25 and was out at 8:15 -- so I'm only $160 in the hole for today. :lol ) The syringes were $12.88 for 100 and the insulin was $24.88 (gotta love the .88 at Wal-Mart). My vodoo math is that it works out to around $20 a month so that is perfectly reasonable -- if I can just hone my shot giving skills and not stick myself :blush like I did this afternoon we should be fine.

The vet said this was probably caused by the pancreatitis episode in February. His was so bad and so close to dying his pancreas got scarred or something and can't work right to make enough insulin. :dunno

Hang in there...once you get the insulin amounts right based on their sugar curve, the disease is very treatable.

We did it with our GSD for 2 years, though there can be complications after that length of time, depending on age, etc.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Hang in there Pam. Life just seems to like to throw curve balls at you every now and then. You are a great person and I know poodle is feeling much better now :)

P.S. - let me know what type of syringes you are getting... I may be able to at least help you out with that.

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Curve balls every now and then? :lol Seems like pretty often the last 3 or 4 years.

Poodle is so much better since this afternoon I can't believe it. He is sleeping comfortably and the water bowl is full. The Syringes I have are ReliOn 3/10

29 gauge. We wil be fine but thank you if you want to help with them.

Hey Pam, I remember you from when I lived in Lubbock, Texas--I had the aussies and Trish the greyhound from The Haven ShelterAdelaide

Hey Adelaide -- I think we kept in touch a bit after you moved to PA and I came here. In my case that was 8 years ago. Didn't you have chickens at your neew place?

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am glad to hear Poodle is feeling better with the insulin. I am a diabetic, too; you'll get the hang of the shots and once you get his dose dialed in, it will be easy-peasy. I remember back to before I was diagnosed with diabetes and started meds and insulin, and how tired and thirsty and just crummy I felt. :rolleyes:

I am glad to hear Poodle is feeling better with the insulin. I am a diabetic, too; you'll get the hang of the shots and once you get his dose dialed in, it will be easy-peasy. I remember back to before I was diagnosed with diabetes and started meds and insulin, and how tired and thirsty and just crummy I felt. rolleyes.gif

Thank you.

The last few nights it has been that he just couldn't get comfortable...couch to tile floor to bed to bathroom. It is like a huge weight is lifted off of us. He is solid asleep in our bed.

Edited by Hubcitypam

The vet said this was probably caused by the pancreatitis episode in February. His was so bad and so close to dying his pancreas got scarred or something and can't work right to make enough insulin. :dunno

What's his diet like? Maybe reducing the amount of carbs he eats might be helpful too, just like in people.

Glad to hear he's feeling much better. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Pam remember Noelle is diabetic too- almost 4years now & she has gotten so used to her shots that she will let me know when it's time to get one! Remember to used one shoulder in AM & other in PM if he's on 2 a day. I agree those needles hurt more than regular shots of the ones to draw blood.

If the vet didn't tell you, it is better to feed 3 small meals a day so there is a better sugar level in his system. Just be careful when you go to buy the insulin-you want the generic because the regular ( same name same box) is twice as much. A bottle should last you more than a month, I get close to 2-1/2 months for Noelle.