Heart Based Tumor

Guest seej

We have a 11 year old greyhound. SeeJ has always been healthy. Last month I took him to his Senior bi-annual checkup and found he has gained weight, from 76lb to 82lb.

Then last weekend he started making this coughing/hacking sound. I took him to the vet Tuesday morning. On that morning, he threw up all his breakfast and peed in the house.

At the vet, the first thing they noticed is that he put on more weight, 86lb now. Then the vet listened to his heart and found his right side very muffled. X-ray showed his heart has enlarged considerably. The vet thought it serious enough that he got on the phone with the hospital and arranged us to go for an ultrasound asap.

The ultrasound showed that there were a lot of fluid buildup in the heart sac and in his abdomen. That explained his symptom and his weight gain. It also showed a heart-based tumor the size of an acorn. The vet said there are two possibility. Hemangiosarcoma, a malignant tumor. She said there is really not much we can do if this is the case. Or Chemodectoma, a relative benign tumor. If this is the case, as long as we manage the fluid buildup SeeJ can have a normal life. According to the vet there is no way finding out which kind of tumor it is except wait a couple months and monitoring the growth. The vet thought it's more likely Chemodectoma because she has seen a similar case in another greyhound.

There are two options for dealing with the fluid. First, draining. It's a easier procedure that can be done in that hospital. But the fluid will probably come back in 3-4 weeks so regular draining is needed for the rest of his life. There is also a surgery option that creates an opening in his heart sack so fluid can be constantly drained. That is a complicated and expensive surgery that can only be done in one vet hospital in my area.

It has happened so fast that I am still trying to come to terms with it. I need some suggestion on how to proceed next. DH wants surgery now. I'd rather first do the relative simple procedure and wait a couple of months to see the development of the tumor before making decision for the next step.

Edited by seej

Guest Swifthounds

Is this something where lasix (furosemide) wouldn't help at all? I've no experience with heart tumors, but have lost a dog to heart failure and she did well with medication.

Sending you lots of good thoughts and healing white light.

I am sorry to hear about your boy. Just my two cents. I would likely have the fluid drained initially and monitor the tumor. If it's not malignant (let's hope it not!!!), then opt for the surgery later. Again only my opinion as invasive expensive surgery may not make sense if the tumor is the problem. Draining the fluid at least would make him more comfortable.

Our thoughts are with you during the difficult time.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

If you are near a university with a veterinary teaching hospital, might be worth consulting with them. They might be able to do an ultrasound-guided fine needle aspirate of the tumor, which would give you some more information to go on.

Sending lots of hugs for you and your sweet pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest kydie

I vote with BatMom, but as far as cost, consider, the cost each time you go in to drain it, and the over all cost of the surgery, good luck keep us updated

I'd tend to agree with your thinking about draining for now, until you know more about what you're dealing with.

The time of your initial post suggests that you might not be in the U.S. Are you familiar with OSU, which Burpdog suggested? In case you're not, it's Ohio State University. And they consult for free.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep us updated. grouphug.gif

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am in Boston area. And the hospital they recommend is Tufts.

I will give OSU a call. Thanks a lot!

I'd tend to agree with your thinking about draining for now, until you know more about what you're dealing with.

The time of your initial post suggests that you might not be in the U.S. Are you familiar with OSU, which Batmom suggested? In case you're not, it's Ohio State University. And they consult for free.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep us updated. :grouphug

I'm so sorry. I'm a wait and see kind of person myself. I would hate to think you could spend thousands of dollars only to find out it's hemangio. If your pup doesn't develop any other symptoms then you know exactly what you're dealing with. That's just what I would do personally.

Prayers for your boy. I know how hard it is to make these decisions.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Is this the program?

General Contact Information

Greyhound Health and Wellness Program

601 Vernon Tharp Street

Columbus, OH 43210

Phone: (614) 247-6757

I am in Boston area. And the hospital they recommend is Tufts.

I will give OSU a call. Thanks a lot!

The time of your initial post suggests that you might not be in the U.S. Are you familiar with OSU, which Batmom suggested? In case you're not, it's Ohio State University. And they consult for free.

Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Please keep us updated. :grouphug

Guest ss556

I hope it's benign. I don't think I would jump to surgery. Alan died of hemangio, suddenly, but in addition to bleeding in his belly, he had a heart based tumor. My thoughts and prayers are with you.