Zuki Has Giardia

Guest zoolaine

Guest zoolaine

Little Mizuki (turns 6 months old today) just tested positive for giardia :o The vet is putting her on Metronidazole but I looked online and it seems Panacur is almost the preferred method for eliminating giardia. I am thinking of asking if she can also be on this. I am treating all my other dogs with Metronidazole just in case they picked it up as well. Figured it was easier and cheaper to do this rather than spend $200 to get everyone's poop checked. Oh and Sunny is actually already on the Metronidazole.

ANy experience with giardia and how difficult it is to get rid of.

Guest TBSFlame

Little Mizuki (turns 6 months old today) just tested positive for giardia ohmy.gif The vet is putting her on Metronidazole but I looked online and it seems Panacur is almost the preferred method for eliminating giardia. I am thinking of asking if she can also be on this. I am treating all my other dogs with Metronidazole just in case they picked it up as well. Figured it was easier and cheaper to do this rather than spend $200 to get everyone's poop checked. Oh and Sunny is actually already on the Metronidazole.

ANy experience with giardia and how difficult it is to get rid of.

Our first grey had it. Took 2 treatments and he always had a very sensitive tummy after that. Not sure it the giardia caused his tummy issues.

felix had it at an early age, somewhere around 6 months too. it took more than 2 rounds of flagyl to clear it up. my rice cooker was working overtime and it took forever to get him on kibble. but once it was really cleared up, he has been symptom free and gained all the weight that he lost and kept on growing big. time. my vet is as old fashioned as can be and likes to use flagyl. it worked, but be aware of flare ups and get her back on it if she seems symptomatic.

then after his bout w/ giardia he developed some bald patches, it looked like mange, but tested clear. it was a rough time between 6 & 10 months.

Guest lynne893

No advice about dogs, but I caught Giardia on my honeymoon and was MISERABLE for many weeks, especially the first few days of infection. Make sure your pup gets to go outside OFTEN :) Good luck!

Guest brandi007

Oh Yuck! Poor Zuki :(

Sophie just went through this, she was on the same medication as your babies and other than some nasty both ends business it cleared up and she's fine now. Just a really bad messy sickness :(

Lots of healing thoughts for poor miss Zuki! And happy 1/2 Birthday :)