Sadly, Another Osteo Diagnosis

Guest Lunchbox

• 1 month later...
Guest Lunchbox

Just wanted to post a follow up. It's been over a month and half since the diagnosis. We went ahead with an FNA that came back positive for Osteo. Moscow has been doing pretty well, overall he has been eating and sleeping well and still gets up to see us when we come home. The tumor on his leg looks like a softball under his skin though. However the past week there has been marked decline. He still eats but we have to hand feed him to get him warmed up to it. His paw under the tumor has begun to swell pretty bad as well. There has also been several times he starts to wimper when he lays a certain way. He is on pain meds of course, but I dont know how much longer they will take the edge off. Obviously we have decided not to go for amputation and chemo, but thats another topic. He will be seven in July, and I hoped he would make it to his birthday but I think his time is coming up soon.

For those that have had to put thier grey to sleep, can you tell me what to expect. How did you know it was time and what was the experience like. I'm sorry if that is prying a topic too personal, but I would like to hear your experiences.

Thanks again for all the support.

Charles

You are your dog's best friend and know him better than anyone. Whenever you decide to take him from his pain, will be the right time. You will be giving him the gift of peace.

I do hate cancer.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I am so sorry ot hear about your boy's diagnosis and that he's no longer doing as well. I am currently going through this iwth my girl Neyla although she is pain free for now. The only thing I can contribute is what a friend told me from her experiences with people who have cancer - that it is a very painful disease. If your boy is vocalizing and he's not normally a vocal dog, then the medication may not be enough pain relief. You might want to see if you can increase the dosage more. I have also heard that part of hte pain with cancer is neurological and a lot of people have had success with pain relief using Gabapentin. If you aren't using that already and you are not ready to let him go, that may be an option. I have also heard that acupuncture can provide relief.

As for when to let him go, only you can make that decision. I have always thought that a few days too early would be better than a few days too late, but now that I am in the midst of this, I am really scared that I won't be able to make the right decision. In the end, you just have to trust your gut. Whatever you decide, we are all here for you - no one will judge you. Hugs to you and Moscow. :grouphug

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."