Fun Run Yesterday, Swollen Paw Today

Guest nuri

Yesterday, I took Nuri for a fun run with our adoption group. We both had a great time. Nuri ran his butt off, enjoying the freedom of a fenced-in space. As we were leaving, I noticed that he was limping a bit, taking weight off of his right front foot. He took it easy last night, zonked from the day, but was still limping by bedtime and the paw was a bit swollen and warm. I gave him a tramadol, in hopes that it would calm the whole thing down. This morning, he is still hobbling and it is still swollen. He is usually a drama-king when he is hurt, whining or yelping, but I haven't heard a peep from him, even when I've felt around the swollen area. Could it just be a sprain, or should I be more concerned? I'm planning on making an appointment with his vet when they open this morning. He is in good physical shape from tons of walks, but living in the city without a yard makes big runs a rarity. Any advice would be totally appreciated.

It could be a sprain/strain but wouldn't be a bad idea to take a quick x-ray. Hope it heals quickly!

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Look very carefully over the entire paw for a puncture wound. They can close up quickly or just be small enough & in odd enough places that you may miss them even if you've looked a time or two. The concern would be an infection.

It could be a sprain/strain but wouldn't be a bad idea to take a quick x-ray. Hope it heals quickly!

:nod

Also, tramadol does not relieve swelling; it's an opioid that blocks pain receptors in the brain. Your vet will probably prescribe an NSAID for the pain/swelling.

Hope it's nothing too serious. My boy used to routinely sprain is left front during hard runs. He was usually OK after a few days :)

Meredith with Heyokha (HUS Me Teddy) and Crow (Mike Milbury). Missing Turbo (Sendahl Boss), Pancho, JoJo, and "Fat Stacks" Juana, the psycho kitty. Canku wakan kin manipi.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." - Voltaire