How Long Before Your Grey Opened Up?

Guest Fluffy

Guest budsmom

My big mama's boy, Bud, was still coming out of his shell after 3 years. Up until that point, he almost never moved his ears, they were always in the tucked position. Then, after being with me about 3 years, all of a sudden, he starts talking with his ears (and he's so cute when he does it). Now, he's always expressing himself with his ears - they go out to the side, one goes up the other out, once in a while both even go up together

- but for the first couple years I had him, I thought they were glued to his head. It's so rewarding to watch them grow and change and become their own little fur people. Relax and enjoy Badger, pretty soon you'll forget you ever worried!

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest IrskasMom

A Friend of mine adopted a Grey about 8 Month ago and she told me yesterday , that her Grey has actualy just now bonded with her and he feels calm and easy around her. Time is all you need and Relax :colgate:colgate:colgate

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

It takes a while for the real personality to shine through. Some dogs are genetically more reserved. Others may have just not been socialized as much (perhaps the place they grew up they did not get a lot of one on one petting and playtime, or maybe they are just not a demonstrative type of hound). Definitely don't give up. Try to understand how dogs think and interact, and know too that a sighthound is subtle in his emotions compared to most dogs. A loving look may be what you get from a Greyhound, where as a Labrador would leap all over you licking your face. Affection from a sighthound means more to me than it does from any other type of dog. They are truly special animals.

My first grey was the most outgoing girl imaginable, but she was miserable her first weeks with me. And she was used to a home -- she was a bounce. I figured out later that she hated all changes of location, but all I could think of at first was that she hated me and that this was all a terrible, terrible mistake.

The best advice I got was to stop hovering over her and saying, "Poor, poor baby." Instead, I should talk to her and act like she was the smartest, prettiest, luckiest dog in the world. If I acted like that, she would, too.

It worked. After two weeks, we were inseparable. She was the smartest, prettiest, luckiest dog in the world, and I was the luckiest person for having her.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Like others have said, give him time. Work with him to make him understand he is safe and he will come around. It took approximately one year for both our boys to "come out of their shells". Now Charlie is the character and Jack is the lover....would never have guessed.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Fluffy

Another point is some of them just come back to life if you get another hound ;)

Sadly, a second hound is just not workable with my budget for the foreseeable future, but I'm sure I will eventually end up chipping once the money is there!

Guest KungPaoKat

I'm so happy to see this thread -- I was going to post something similar! We've had Monroe for a little over a month, and while he's generally OK with me alone, he goes into recluse mode whenever my husband or kids are home. We were starting to wonder if he was going to adjust. Guess we just need to give him more time and lots of positive reinforcement!

Guest oldNELLIE

For the first 3 months I thought Nellie would not ever be happy in our home, for whatever the reason (possibly that we worked full time, or because she was an only dog, or maybe the sounds of living in a condo were too much for her...)

After 3 months we began to think that someday, maybe Nellie could be happy living in our home.

After 6 months Nellie began to show some recognition that it was US who came home everyday, and not just any random 2 people.

After 9 months she would sit sort of close to us, sometimes. She might wag her tail at us on occasion.

After 1 year I could look at her and know that she was attached to us and happy and settled into our (her) home.

We have had her for 2.5 years now and she really is very attached. She is totally comfortable and obviously "loves" us. Her whole body language has changed over the years. It has actually been really fun to watch and working through the process has increased the bond that I feel with her :blush I can't remeber what our home and our life was like with out her now!

Guest widowcali

With Cali it took a couple of days, maybe a week or so before she was cuddling on the couch with me. With Widow? I think it took about 6 months before she would come up to me for affection. She was kind of a spook. Of course, now, she is a severe momma's girl. Her nickname is "Tammy's Proctocologist" because her nose is almost always up my rear. I've actually turned around and tripped on her. lol

I was told when I adopted Myka to watch for the 3's -- 3 days, 3 weeks and 3 month marks because those seem to be when the bigger changes happen. She is definately not the same dog today that she was in September, she's more confident, silly, playful, funny and oddly enough slightly *less* snuggly (but it's good she's become more independent). Time, a few treats, and reminding her she was safe and loved did the trick :P

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Guest Gretchen

Hi I adopted my boy the beginning of March. So he's still new. Everyday I learn something new about him. He wasn't sure about me at first either. And If I went to check on him he'd freeze and get that look like "I'm a good boy, please be gentle". At the kennel he would wait till another dog said hello before he came over, so I knew he was a bit shy/submissive. But wanted the attention. After the first 2 weeks he definitley began to come around more. He now barks at us when he is really excited and wants us to pet him. It took him awhile for him to get comfortable and settled, I was worried he didn't like me at first either.

But I looked at it like this... If you dropped me off in Japan with a family I didn't know and I didn't speak the language, It'd take me awhile to come around too. No matter how nice they were.

We set boundaries for him the first two weeks, such as: he could only go to the bathroom in one area outside and noses are not allowed on the counters.. Then we taught him to "Wait" so we exit before he does when we leave, and when crossing street; as well as we have taught him to heal, he's not allowed to pull and be in front. I haven't really gotten into major training laying down...etc yet because we're still learning his personality and the best ways to train him.... Plus it took us 2 weeks to find cookies he goes BANANAs over.... (they are actually banana chips wrapped with duck or something) But that has helped because now we know what he'll work for.

Good LUCK!!! Be patient.

-G :ghplaybow

we were the first time greyhound hound when we got Z and J two weeks later. Z is more cautious so it took longer. I bonded with J quickly. He is my heart dog and the light of my life. My hubs thinks it took 4 months for us to bond. I think he is right. Hang in there. I bet in a few months, you will find it hard to imagine a life without greys.

Guest Sunset123

I thought Arrisa hated me, too. I was worried that I'd made a big mistake in adopting her sight-unseen.

We're 3 months in and still making bonding progress. Today she surprised me by being noticeably more affectionate than she'd ever been. I was sitting on the floor and she laid down next to me and nuzzled me with her nose for pets. It made me thing that we've gotten past the "I'm tolerating you" stage and just warmed my heart.

Now I'm looking forward to her bonding more with my husband because he's convinced that she hates him (because she likes me or trusts me more). She will only play with me and prefers to take commands from me. If he gives her a command while I'm in the room she gets confused and looks at me for direction. She'll only listen to him if I hide in another room!

George wasn't really GEORGE for 18 MONTHS.

I personally would never suggest a Greyhound for anyone as a first dog--they're quirky beasts! But hang in there, and remember not to be too needy with the dog. Let him come to you. He'll relax, and eventually I'm sure you'll have a wonderful companion.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Dazzle and Echo were open from day 1. My old greyhound Ford never really opened up to me. We never really "clicked." Ford and I never had the relationship that I have with Dazzle and Echo. I couldn't give him whatever it was he needed. He went back to the adoption kennel and is now in the perfect home.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

Guest Zelsdad

Have youi tried hand feeding - assuming your using dry food? The trainer I have been to, for two dogs now, swears by it. It can be a good way to build up trust and work in a little training to (down, for instance.). Good luck. It does take time. But once that first "roaching" occurs, you'll both be hooked!!

Our first grey was like your Badger, too. She really didn't want to be messed with and prefered being alone. After about 6 months she was more happy and allowed us more access to her. One year later, there were lots of changes in her personality. WE CHIPPED! Ziggy came into our house like he had always been there. She saw him getting attention and decided she would like some of that attention too. She learned how to back up from him. Unfortunately, he learned to find the perfect spot to go potty. She had space issues when we first got her and she still does but not nearly as bad as they were.

Try to relax and just enjoy your hound. He will most likely come around. Good luck!

Guest 4greytful

Congratulations to you! We've added 2 new members in the last 6 months. The first addition is still very aloof towards me, but I am starting to get a glimpse of her real personality starting to come through when she thinks Im not paying attention. The 2nd one walked in and within 30 minutes was my new best friend. Both were straight off the track. They are just like children with their own personalities etc. Don't worry, it is still very early in earning the trust factor. But once they do, it is soo worth it.

Guest sorenkkg

I'll add in here-- I was new to greyhounds and new to dogs and newly married and... you get the idea.

I didn't sleep the first weekend, and by the end of Monday was crying to my adoption group that Haka would be better off without me, I let a teacup poodle scare him on the first day... I lost 5lbs in 3 days (best diet ever! not...)

My greyhound lady started calling multiple times a day to "check on Haka" :lol and I have to say-- everything she advised us, like on this board, came true.

Each day, he opened up a bit, after 6 months he was totally different, and after a year he was HIMSELF :P

Having said that, and also having read the books etc-- try to find balance between training and exposing your dog to new things and this that the other that you are "supposed" to be doing-- and relaxing, enjoying being in the same room with your dog, maybe on the same couch, etc.

Looking back, my main things I'd change would be: not trying so hard with the "training" while out walking. I would get very frustrated and neither one of us was having any fun. When I finally relaxed a bit, that got much better. 2) and this is personal, but we didn't let him on the couch for a few months, and then, because of my mother rolleyes.gif who let him on her couch, we did thankfully discover the joy of having the dog closer to us! Like, hey, wow, we can pet him and stuff AND watch tv. tongue.gif But some dogs have space issues, territorial etc, so you sort of have to feel that one out.

Summary-- it will take time, and the reward for your daily patience is huge. My mom also said something like "love is service"... we pick up after them, feed them, walk them, think they hate us, think they are depressed (oh, i remember that phone call...), and then one day, they come up and stick their nose in your face and their head between your legs or up your butt, and you just realize it's all worth it.

Good luck Karen, keep at it, and post here any time with anything, this is an AMAZING bunch of people with HUGE HEARTS!

Oops! Double post.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

They all have their own time frame. Don't stress or freak out over it. He'll most definitely sense it. Let him be who he is and reveal himself in his own time. The most stressful part of most greyhound's life is learning to be a pet...esp an only pet/only greyhound.

eta: we have some that never really become social butterflies/snugglers/warm fuzzy hounds. Some never want to come to you for attention. That's just how they roll. It's nothing personal.

:nod This has been my experience as well. I've now shared my life with 5 over the years and they're all different. I just them them be who they are. My first one was fresh off the track and had a rather reserved nature at first. He warmed up over time and became more playful and light-hearted but wasn't a needy or clingy type. My second was a major "mama's boy" - definitely needy and clingy in the beginning. He also had separation anxiety and couldn't be left alone. My third was a senior who had lost her first home due to divorce. She moped and grieved for weeks. Then just when I was afraid she wasn't going to get over it she decide to trust again & gave me her heart.

The two I have now couldn't be more different. I adopted Carly in May 2006. I knew she was very shy and anxious when I took her home. She didn't want to leave the safety of her crate for at least 6 months. Four years in, she's made a lot of progress but it's been slow & definitely on her time table. Carly cannot be rushed or pushed. She's still shy & quirky & doesn't like change, but she's happy and comfortable with our routine & I love her just the way she is. Now Princess walked into my house fresh from retirement, checked everything out and then just made herself right at home. She's a happy social butterfly kind of girl. Nothing stresses her out. She likes lots of attention and doesn't mind demanding it. She would have gladly taken over control of the entire household if I'd let her. We've made an agreement though - she can be The Princess, but I'm the boss. :lol

They're all individuals. Try not to worry & just enjoy watching his unique personality unfold. :)

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Fluffy

I do believe we're starting to make some progress, Mr. Badger and I. He's started lying on the beanbag chair and deliberately pointing his head toward me and wiggling until I pet him. Then last night we were both on the beanbag watching tv, and this was the scene when I forgot to keep up my steady petting of his head:

4545062003_499886b185_m.jpg

"Did I say you could stop? No, so get stroking or I shall nibble on you some more!"

Later, when I was sitting at my desk, which abuts the beanbag, I propped my foot on the edge of the beanbag and got this, completely spontaneously, from him:

4545695396_fe1b7e10f7_m.jpg

It made me think of Wall-E wanting to hold hands with Eve. *melt*

:rollin