Toe Nail.

Guest greyt_learner

Guest greyt_learner

I have to admit to being a little neglectful of their nails - been meaning to get to the vet for a trim for weeks (they don't let me do it). Most of the nails stay pretty short from walking on the pavement, but the one on the side has got long. Today my boy caught it on something (my DH was home) It's not torn, but it's sticking out a little sideways. DH said he yelped when he did it, but has been fine since. Will it be OK til my regular vet opens on Monday ? Obviously if it comes off or is really bothering him, I'll take him in. I'm such a worry wart...

Guest GreyRabbit

My lab mix has this happen a lot! The very first time it was Thanksgiving and I saw it had cracked in half, tried to trim it but he wouldn't let me get near it so we let it be...then on Sunday morning he was literally limping on 3 legs so we brought him to the dr. first thing Monday morning and it had gotten infected and required antibiotics.

Has happenned three times since (he uses our deck as a launghing pad into the yard and I'm almost 100% this is how it happens...very energetic rolleyes.gif ). Anyways, all of these times I have soaked it in hot water to make sure no mud, snow etc. got in there and made him let me trim the broken part off so it doesn't rub as he moves and get irritated/infected.

So I guess, IMHO I wouldn't panic, just get him in for a trim as soon as you can. This is assuming it is just a cracked/torn nail and no real damage to the muscle or bone of course!