Are Your Greyhound(S) Recall Trained?

Guest Swifthounds

Recall  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Do you teach recall to your greyhounds? If so, are they generally reliable?

Bella is incredibly bonded to both DH and me. She comes 100% of the time in a small dog park. We haven’t had the opportunity to go to a larger dog park. Have absolutely no intention of letting her off-leash in an unfenced area – just not worth it.

We’re headed to the beach next weekend and have a long line so that she can get a bit of a run and we can see how she does with a recall in a strange area, but she’s still not getting off leash intentionally.

She is learning “wait”, reliably knows “sit”, “leave it” and “off” (as in, “off the bed”, “off the sofa”). It’s important to me to have a well-mannered dog.

Dave (GLS DeviousDavid) - 6/27/18
Gracie (AMF Saying Grace) - 10/21/12
Bella (KT Britta) - 4/29/05 to 2/13/20

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest EmilyandSioux

We live in the middle of no where and Sioux comes back all the time unless a "lure" runs in front of him. We do have a lot of wildlife(squirrels and rabbits) that he likes to chase. We try to keep him on the 5 acres but he does get off if the gate malfunctions. Where we live we don't have to worry abotu cars though and he is a "spook" that is coming out of his shell still. He prefers the soft life to that of exploring. Squirrel chasing is better from the air conditioned couch. Only chase when you think you can catch.

Guest jaws4evr

Well ours is semi-reliable... she's ALWAYS come when we've called, but we also haven't used it in challenging situations or when it would be imporant or dangerous for her not to listen. At the enclosed/gated park she has always always come to us when we called (if she isn't too far away to hear and I don't feel like screaming), in the yard or in the house she always always comes to her name.

I am positive she would NOT recall off something if she decided to chase (she loves to "hunt" rabbits in our neighborhood, prance/stalking as we leash-walk near the wild hare), and if she gets stuck in a smell again she'd probably postpone "come".

If it's important that we have control over her (non-fenced area, meeting new dogs, care around small children or the elderly), we just have her on leash to mitigate any possibility for error.

Guest Furmom

No. The only one I would remotely take a chance on is Elsie but that is only because she is so far up my butt, the only way to get her to run is to take her to an enclosed field where DH holds her while I walk to the far end and I call her, she runs to me! And then stays velcroed.

The others take off like banchees and we have to go to them to get them.

And the votes for "yes, all" should really read "for now".

Nothing is fool proof.

Completely agree! Are they recall trained yes, do I trust them yes, do I still use a leash YES!!!

I've worked on it with my boy. Bu is really good at it in the house unless he's lying down. When we go to the dog park, he's pretty much perfect. Usually, I can just say his name and he comes running. The times he doesn't come are always busy days and I don't think he hears me, but once he hears me, he comes running. I'm a pet sitter and we go from house to house and in every (fenced) yard he comes when called.

One day we went to a house we're at a few times a week that locks it's gates. I put Bu in the yard, then put the 2 beagles in the yard with Bu. I saw a note on the kitchen counter, so I went to read it while the dogs did their business. On my way to the note, I look out the window and saw Bu in the yard, out of the fenced in area. My heart went in my throat and I ran to the gate he had gone through and called him. He immediately turned around and came back to me in the fenced section. If he had not had recall training, I don't know what would have happened. So yes, I believe recall training is necessary for all dogs, even if not let off leash.

I probably voted incorrectly because I said "reliable". Reliable most of the time -yes. In high-prey mode -NO. I honestly don't believe that there is any training in the WORLD that could break my dog's chase if they were in heigh prey mode. I didn't raise them from puppies. When their brains kick into high prey-drive - their ears shut down.

Scientific studies have shown that when TRUE prey-drive kicks in - a dog's auditory function diminishes dramatically - i.e. the brain does NOT have to power to actually HEAR you calling.

So - my dogs have recall, in a controlled environment. In an un-controlled envorinment - if they kicked into high-prey mode..... I'm pretty sure... no.

But - if one of my dogs got out..... and wasn't in prey-mode.... yes, once they settled down, they would come. Probably. No guarantees.

I always train my greys to a whistle. A whistle is louder and lasts longer than a voice and my voice just doesn't carry.

Because you'll never know when you'll need the recall.

My girls always seem to come when I blow the whistle, but I haven't tried it in a real emergency. So while reliable in controlled situation (read fenced yard), I don't know what'll happen if they are loose. I hope I never find out.

Edited by MP_the4pack

• 1 month later...

I voted 'working on it' because due to various personal problems I've had in the last year (since we've had Sid) I haven't been quite so diligent at training him recall as previous hounds - and also, he has no-one to help remind him, which makes the process slower. We're down to one hound right now.

But I teach all my hounds recall, as soon as possible. Sid is fine in a fairly limited space with no distractions. I let him go offlead in selected locations because he's got to the stage where you have to risk that to progress (remember I'm in England, before you start reminding me about contracts etc ;)). We walk a narrow wooded path offlead where we can see well ahead, and we walk a farm track offlead with fencing or hedges both sides. He is very good at coming when called in those situations and he'll wait while I cross a stile, and wait for me to say "OK" before he follows me through.

Since 1993 the only injury we've had occur offlead (apart from minor skin scrapes and tears which didn't require stitching) was when bullock kicked Jim because he'd gone too close. He got a bruised shoulder and after that he avoided livestock like the plague. All our dogs have been offlead in our local fields and footpaths, and those who were good candidates in selected places further afield, like a beach or a country park.

Yup, they are trained. Some are reliable, some I am still working on it. All are good enough to run on the beach and in the woods.

Like that. :lol Sid isn't quite there yet, but I'm hopeful.

I always teach recall. We practice virtually every day.

My dogs are reliable.

I wouldn't count on their recall to be of any significant help if they got loose under most circumstances. Under some circumstances, might be useful, but if somebody was on the hunt or badly frightened, probably not.

Well, from my own experience, I can tell you that recall-trained hounds will come if they get loose if freedom isn't a novelty to them. In fact when our first hound "got loose" finding a gap at the bottom of the garden), he walked round the house and barked to come in at the front door. Another time he jumped the gate and someone picked him up before we found him - he went to her happily and jumped right into her car. We fixed the gap and replaced the gate. He was our first dog, what can I say? He taught us a lot. ;)

To me, teaching recall is invaluable, even if you never intend your dog to be off his lead. It means you have a dog who isn't afraid to approach someone who calls him - unless he's a spook, of course. But even then, I would think it would help a little.

It's possible that 1) I've been lucky with my dogs (temperament and trainability etc), 2) greyhounds are different in the US or 3) I've been lucky, full stop. But I've been lucky with five greyhounds over 17 years, and haven't lost one yet - apart from Jim's 30 minutes of being AWOL.

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Well, I have an Irish bred Greyhound and a some a blend and some all American for several generations. They all seem equally trainable to me :unsure;) I think it's that like you said, freedom is not a huge novelty to our hounds. I lived over in the UK and my mind set is more European regarding this issue.

On a run the other day, I was amazed when I came across a beautiful female wandering about her yard while her owner was out. I stopped to chat for awhile and it turns out their pup is always off leash in their yard and the owner runs her down their street on his motorcycle. She runs in the grass. Country neighborhood, not dangerous (but I'd NEVER do it. Anyway, she is is phenomenal shape, loves running, and has no interest in being separated from them so she literally won't go anywhere. I don't trust my hounds like that but I'll say it was amazing to see this pretty girl just milling about her property...like a "regular" dog.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest NeroAmber

Amber, my lurcher never goes very far from us, and will come back very reliably, I can call her off a chase or off a frantic run towards another dog.

(There's been a few times I haven't spotted another dog and owner in time to pop their leads on, so this has been brill- they're dog friendly, but as everyone knows it's a) bad manners to let my dogs go bother someone else without permission and B) my dogs might be fine but I don't know about the other dog they're wanting to approach)

Nero is not quite as reliable, but isn't as quick off the mark as Amber. However, I've bought some dog sausages and I'm going to get more serious about getting them as good as I can on recall.

Guest Jubilee251

Well, surprisingly, our new foster is EXTREMELY recall-trained. Or it might just be because he's clingy. :lol

Jet's reaction to a call is "OH MY GOD MOM CALLED MY NAME! I'M COMING MOM, I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU WHEEEEE!"

Molly's reaction is, "Uh, I'm busy, woman." :rolleyes:

Guest Longdog

Cush (God bless him) was excellent and trustworthy off the lead but almost a month of Willie and Whizzy and we have a battle on our hands. They will recall in the garden and in the house fine. We keep them on extender leads when out and they will recall on those unless they see....well.... "anything that moves", they then develop selective hearing and are totally engrossed in the prey thing. We daren't let them off the lead yet. We have tried the food thing but chasing is much more interesting than food so it isn't working yet. We will perservere though, they are only youngsters after all and only a few months off the track, so its all new to them.

Guest TBSFlame

I try with all my dogs, some are good and some not so good. The one who shocked me the most was Valentino. He got out one way and when called came right back and not to me, to someone else which was an even bigger shock! My little boys are hard headed though. Some will come when called and some will look at me as if to laugh in my face and say no way.rolleyes.gif

lol. That is the way it is here. They come if they want to but if I say "Do you want a cookie" they all come running. :) Star got out the gate once and ran up the driveway. I yelled "Star, do you want to go for a ride", she turned around and ran for the van and yes, we took her for a ride. lol.

Guest Paige12

blue and millie are quite reliable within the house or yard, if awake. millie a bit less so than blue out in the fenced paddock nearby. both do try to stay within a reasonable distance from me and will come running if i head for the gate to leave. all bets are off if another dog or some wildlife joins us.

however, if you call them by their real names they come running at top speed 99.999%* of the time. (they both think their real name is 'sausages' since i frequently buy small cocktail sausages for doggy super-treats)

*- i allowed .001% for possible failure justincase i'm more than a mile away, and they are asleep while i whisper that word. they also are partially telepathic in that they can tell from the beds upstairs when i open the fridge and reach for said sausages in lieu of something designated notfordoggies, if i turn around just before my fingers hit the sausages, they are behind me. if i instead turn around just before grabbing a beer, they are not there.

That was great! My laugh for the day and boy did I need it! The only one of our greys over the last five years that I would ever trust 95% to come is Jack, who we adopted as a puppy. He truly seems to have no desire to not be where we are, but I still wouldn't trust him off a lead.

Edited by Paige12

Guest Capslock

Marbles will never be off leash in an unfenced area - she has a mind of her own and intense curiosity. :)

Satchel can go off leash in safe but open areas. He just doesn't run, ever really.

Otis had perfect recall. 100% trustable, and zero prey drive. Didn't care if a pidgeon walked right in front of him, I could call his name and he'd touch my hand with his nose.

Bongo was the same - would run after a squirrel and you'd call her name and she'd put on the brakes and come back.

Clyde was fine on a trail in the woods but only went off leash in really safe situations.

Marbles will never be off leash in an unfenced area - she has a mind of her own and intense curiosity. :)

But you are going to practice recall training anyway, right? Please nod your head & say, "Yes." :colgate

Guest ChasesMum

kronskew, what if you reached for the sausage after the beer? lol

Mine is squawker recall trained, but I still wouldnt have trusted her off leash in a non fenced area. too prey motivated.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest DoofBert

We have recall drills......and my guys are reliable. About 6 mos ago, Tess and bert got out through a gate that was left ajar. Grabbed the squawker and both came trotting back to me as I stood int eh driveway.

Never would intentionally let them off leash.......

Guest arlosmom

All five or ours have been to obedience school. Our trainer does an all greyhound class of only 4 dogs and we work almost exclusively on recall. After all that unless I have treats with me they will respond about 50/50. Kingfish is the best because he wants to be closest to me and doesn't care much for out doors. Arlo is 100 percent if you have a treat, if not then ? Janus is still new and I would guess not to reliable he is always mesmerized by the birds and squirrels and his head is on a swivel.

Guest Houndstown

I voted yes, since the we have had Pre long enough to work this out (Teralyn is a different story....). Honestly, a lot of it for us has to do with age, routine, and establishing plenty of leadership. I hope to never have to use his recall, but he is now trusted to walk out to the mailbox with me, take the trash out, etc. He responds instantly when I speak to him outside. It took several years before I trusted him at that level. We have friends that, for whatever reason, have almost instant Alpha status with their pups, and can trust them 3-4 months in.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest grammarules

I have one of those 'if she want to' dogs. We have a dog whistle because my husband can't whistle. When she does come, she comes saundering up to you at her own pace while my Bichon runs up and tries to get treat. :colgate

• 1 year later...

I actually have two recalls. One for just generally wanting my girls to come to me. Another, totally different that is to be used in emergencies. The second it taught in an fenced area. Anytime it is used they get premium treats and lots of them. When I use this recall they come immediately 90% of the time, but always come just sometimes more slowly. I use this as an emergency recall.

I don't let my dogs off leash which is simply my preference.

Edited by june

Summit's recall when he's not running borders on about 98% I'd say. Inside (not necessarily in our house, just indoor places like at school, in stores, etc.) it is 99.9%. Once he starts zooming or sees another dog running (key word there is running) it drop to about 5%. But we've been working pretty hard on it the last couple of weeks. I went out and bought a 20ft lead which I let him drag in the fenced back yard. Then I have something to grab onto if he ignores my call... reel him in and reward like crazy. Now I only need the long line for the first recall (to "remind" him) and after that I unclip it and let him really rip around. I call him, reward and make a huge fuss, then turn him loose again. Once I've got that at the level I want (i.e. reliable) then I'm going to start having friends bring their dogs over and we'll go back to the long line and work on that aspect of his recall.

I'm not comfortable having him off leash even with good recall. Our neighbourhood isn't on a major street but it's not really that long of a run to a major street. And even when I get his recall to a point where I would technically trust him, I still can't see ever doing it. There are too many variables to account for. I'm training for all the ones I can foresee, but something could spook him one day and he could run home. Too much of a risk to me. But not recall training simply seems foolish to me.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!