It Just Keeps Getting Worse...

I think I must be living wrong or something. The boys weren't supposed to go in until Monday to have their bandages changed but House's looked so bad (and smelled horrible) and I noticed a little bit of blood on Hitchie's neck bandage, I called the vet to see if we could it today. It's a good thing I did. House's tail is okay...not great...but still warm and viable. Hitchie, on the other hand, is having a really rough time. The wound on his neck has abcessed and he now has a lesion on the other side and there is a lot of dead tissue between the two. He has quite a road of healing in front of him. Please send some good thoughts his way.

Now I feel like a horrible mother. The vet said it wouldn't have made any difference but because of my leg, I made them wait until the following morning. I am really struggling with the guilt thing right now. They both go back on Monday for another bandage change; I was hoping Hitchie would get that drain out but now I'm not so sure that's going to happen. They're both on massive antibiotics and were sent home on Wednesday with Rimadyl...after today, we're adding in some Tramadol. They're both eating well and drinking plenty of water so that makes me feel a little bit better.

And if my day couldn't have gotten any worse, Lizzie and Kevin got loose while I was loading the two boys up in the van. Luckily, both of them thought they were going somewhere and jumped in the van, too. Just a huge disaster of an afternoon.

On the brighter side, I have discovered one more wonderful thing about vet wrap. When I was leaving the vet today, one of techs said I was dragging something behind me. The gauze wrap on my leg had come undone. They sat me down and fixed me up with vet wrap...that stuff is awesome. They gave me two rolls and tomorrow, I'm off to Tractor Supply for more. I can't wrap the whole thing with it but it sure helps keeps the gauze in place!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest TeddysMom

Please don't beat yourself up. Accidents just happen and you do the best you can. I will keep lots of thoughts and prayers going for your boys and you. I am so thankful your other two love going for rides, how awful it would have been for you to have to chase them down on top of everything else. Hope things get better soon.

Guest PhillyPups
:bighug to you. When Stepper ripped his leg, it took two surgeries. You are a good Mom who loves her hounds. The shoulda, woulda, coulda's are always there. Now take a look that by getting them there today, despite your injuries, may have saved his life. :bighug

Guest zoolaine
:grouphug - we all do the best we can for our pups, but none of us are perfect. I think most of us are harder on ourselves then we would be on someone else. I don't think you have anything to feel guilty about, you love your hounds and that counts for more than anything.

Guest Dragonmom

On the brighter side, I have discovered one more wonderful thing about vet wrap. When I was leaving the vet today, one of techs said I was dragging something behind me. The gauze wrap on my leg had come undone. They sat me down and fixed me up with vet wrap...that stuff is awesome. They gave me two rolls and tomorrow, I'm off to Tractor Supply for more. I can't wrap the whole thing with it but it sure helps keeps the gauze in place!!!

I love vet wrap. I use it for just about every booboo :P pet or human :) Here's hoping everyone is feeling better soon.

Yikes. We just do the best we can with what we have to work with. Much of the time, the end results are much better than we think they are. You are doing just fine smile.gif vetwrap is available in several different widths, good for different sized ouchies. we stock them all. lol.gif

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Sending lots of hugs and hopes that things improve. What a miserable time for all of you.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Just like yaw'll promised, today was a better day. I did have to run House back up to the vet for another bandage change this morning when I noticed his tail was dripping. His wounds are in a really, really tough spot and the weight of his tail (and it's a big, long one) tends to pull things apart a little bit when he lays down a certain way. No harm, no foul...he's rewrapped and it looks good right now and the vet said it's healing nicely. Both go back on Monday for another bandage change. I joked with the vet that maybe we should just set up some crates, their feeders and a cot and move in. The two patients spent some time outside today getting some sunshine and actually trotted around a bit. My brother came over this afternoon to cut my grass and they are always happy to see him. House was wagging his tail so that's a good sign...probably not good for the stitches but a good sign, nonetheless.

Tomorrow, I have to be good and keep my leg propped up. It drives me crazy to just lay around but I have to do it. I'm probably the worst patient of the three!!!

siggie50_1.jpg

Blair, Stella (DND Heather), Lizzie (M's Deadra), Hitch (Hallo Dominant) and House (Mac's Dr. House)

Missing my handsome men Lewis (Vs Lowrider) - 11/11/01 - 3/11/09, Kevin (Dakota's Hi Five) - 1/1/06 - 4/18/11 and my cat, Sparkle Baby - ??/??/96 - 4/23/11

"The gift which I am sending you is called a dog, and is, in fact, the most precious and valuable possession of mankind." (Theodorus Gaza)

Guest arlosmom

Oh I am so sorry for your terrible day. I haven't been on as much lately so I do not know what happened to the boys but you have done everything right. We also struggle about when do they really need the vet and when can we bandage, or do they need more meds and on and on when ours get hurt and we are trying to do the after care. If you are hurt too that makes it doubly bad. I hope they were not in a fight but you know since you have multiple dogs like a lot of us that stuff happens. Don't beat yourself up and take care of yourself. Sending good wishes for healing for all. :bighug

Sounds promising.

Maybe Hitchie and House are talking with each other about how worried they are about you, and how the vet never pays any attention to you even though you are hurt much worse than they are, and how they feel like such TERRIBLE greyhounds for having caused all this in the first place, and .......

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Guest kydie

Hang in there, you are doing your best for your pups :thumbs-up

P.S. I love thst vet wrap, keep in my house at all times

Keep us posted on your pups and yourself

Edited by kydie