Moulting

Guest Skylark

Guest Skylark

My lovely black greyhound is currently moulting - this isn't a problem but I am just wondering how long can I expect it last? It seems to have started a few weeks ago and now significant amounts of hair are coming out each time I brush her. Also, there is visible dandruff on her lower back - is there any way to prevent or treat this? It doesn't bother her but I'm just curious. I've only had her a few months so dont have any experience of these things. Thanks in advance.

Mine will usually shed in the early spring (getting rid of the winter coat) and they can shed a lot of hair for skinny dogs with thin coats.:lol For the dandruff you can add fish oil, flax seed oil or salmon oil to their food. I use fish oil and they get 4 capsules each day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest Skylark

Thanks so much for your reply - I will try the fish oil tablets. And yeah, for short coats they certainly can shed a lot of hair :lol

But you know what? I wouldn't have her any other way because she is my sweetest, loveliest girl. :)

Guest mcsheltie

Give her a bath in warm water. Use a plastic curry comb or hound mit. Run the water over her and scrub her at the same time. Usually most of the hair will come off. I like to use a moisturizing cat shampoo on GHs. And have had good results finishing up with a light conditioner. Rinse well and use the mit as you do it (more hair down the drain :colgate

All our dogs are on fish oil. Start with one 1000 mg capsule and work up. Some dogs get loose stools if you start at four capsules.

Sallie, my black girl, had the thickest, softest, shinnest coat. Note I said "had" lol.gif She has been shedding up a storm in the last few weeks, I could knit another dog from the hair she's shed. Very flaky too, I think that shows more on the black ones . Brush, brush, brush! Also the fish oil (start small), and maybe add a raw egg to her food once a week.

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I use Melatonin to keep hair growth up. I use fish oil in the food. I also do weekly baths with warm water and then the power dryer gets the loose hair out (and plasters it to the walls :lol )

This keeps it down here, but I also don't live where it gets cold enough for dogs to grow a winter coat.

Guest fandogs

All our farm dogs got tremendous winter coats.. And then it took almost all spring and summer for them to shed out.. no matter how much brushing we did.

Now I have a black boy at home with fuzzies in stead of hair.. hasn't started shedding yet.. I expect it will as soon as we have a longer heat wave. He spends a lot of time in his pool so that often helps the shedding. I find that everytime they start to shed, the black dogs show a lot of dandruff.. Once they are done shedding, the dandruff goes away..

Guest Energy11

ALL five of ours are "blowing their coats!" We groom daily, and it still keeps coming! With the above average temps we've had here, it's no wonder they want to get rid of all that hair.

I'd get a good grooming mit, and add some coat supplement to the food. The hair WILL stop coming, I promisecolgate.gif

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

I just bathed out and power dried my black hound since I last posted in this thread. She looks sooo awesome! She is getting the little white speckles on her like your hound has. Adorable. She has them randomly on her body, not just going gray.

I LOVE the shedding blade (or hacksaw blade) on the Greyhound when she blows coat.

A forced air dryer works on the rest, as well as weekly bathing.

But remember, the dandruff is not a problem. It is associated with the shedding, and will likely stop when the shedding does.

Sarah, the human, Henley, and Armani the Borzoi boys, and Brubeck the Deerhound.
Always in our hearts, Gunnar, Naples the Greyhounds, Cooper and Manero, the Borzoi, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Guest dawnsgreyhound

I also have a black grey and this time of year he sheds like crazy and also gets what looks like dandruf. I have used the fish oil in the past but I find that the diet has more to do with it then the supplements that I could give him. He eats a very high protein diet with eggs like some suggested earlier once a week. But I also give him 3 tablespoons of cottage cheese every night after dinner and he has a coat like velvet. Even the vets tells me he has never seen a black grey with such a shiny coat.

Guest burgerandfrey

Our male is shedding much more than our female, but it's not surprising given how soft and luxurious his Winter coat was :colgate

Out of the three greys we have lived with, Zeke has the softest Winter coat I have ever felt. His neck is like rabbit fur! And of course in the Spring he sheds more than any grey we have ever lived with. He loves to be brushed, so my wife brushes him almost every day. My youngest niece enjoys brushing him too, so he gets lots of brush love. When my wife brushes Lola, Zeke gets jealous and tries to move her out of the way :P That's okay, because Zeke needs a lot more brushing than Lola.

With the shedding both dogs are getting bald spots on their hindquarters again, but it looks like there will still be more of a coat back there than when we adopted them. Over the Winter their coats had all but completely filled in.

Sean