Stealing People Food

Guest Dragonmom

Guest Dragonmom

I don't quite understand why but both Winnie and Bella have taken to stealing people food. Bella i always knew she would if she had the chance, like a plate with food or something. But now it has gone WAY beyond that. First it was taking 1/2 a b;day cake off the counter. then it was the whole package of hamburger buns, a couple days ago it was the pumpkin tarts on the table. This time it was the 2 bite cinnamon rolls off the table while i was in the shower. WTH :angryfire :angryfire I'd like to think it was Bella but some places are just to high for her to reach.

Both food dishes are always full and the 3rd hopper feeder is as well. im at my limit with other stress and this is just one more thing i can't handle. ohhhhand the giant bag of ripped garbage and poop every where wen i came home didnt help.

Guest IrskasMom

You have to Dogproof your Kitchen/House . Leave nothing out on Table or Countertop .Hide in Microwave or Cabinet. I have to admit ,my Morty never goes on the Counter and has never stolen from the Table. But he is a picky Eater and not a Foodhound. :blink::blink::blink:

Guest PhillyPups

Dogproof your house. It also sounds to me like some training is in order.

I have a dogproof trash can, if there is something enticing that I leave anywhere, AnnaBanana, my greyt huntress will find it. :lol

Did you have the dogs out to relieve themselves, and wear themselves out before you left them? If not, can't blame the dogs. :rolleyes:

Do you crate? That would be another option for tearing the house up while you are gone.

Isn't one of yours is a puppy? A tired puppy is a happy puppy.

Unfortunately, that sounds like pretty normal behavior to me :P. A lot of human food is just way too tasty for these guys. Lima Bean is a big time food hound and I cannot leave anything out anywhere. My garbage can has to be locked behind a baby-proofed cabinet door and anything that *might* be edible has to be way out of reach (and anything on the counters, kitchen table, in the sink... generally anything that's below the level of the top of my fridge and not behind a baby-proofed door is within reach). I have to store her food in another room with the door closed. If I get lazy and leave any dirty dishes in the sink, she'll pull them out of the sink and lick them clean. In fact, just yesterday, apparently I left my empty coffee cup on the counter because when I came home, it was on the floor in about 20 pieces <_< .

But the upside is that I'm a lot neater than I used to be :lol:

Lima Bean (formerly Cold B Hi Fi) and her enabler, Rally. ☜We're moving West!

gallery_14681_2997_4088.jpg

Guest shanesmom

People food is just too tempting to leave within their reach. I have to keep everything in cabinets here or Elton would steal it in a minute. Not when I'm home but as soon as I leave he's on the hunt.

Guest Stripeyfan

#

I always think if Kelly steals something (which we really have to watch at the moment as he has major GI issues), it's MY fault for leaving it where he can get it!! After all he's 99% wolf and only taking the opportunity which has presented itself - loaves of bread are a favourite. B) So... nothing left out, bin in a cupboard and no access to the kitchen if we go out (although that might not be practical if you free feed). Also, if he goes for something when we're there (which he does cuz he's a little monkey) he gets told OY (our 'no' word and his second name!). Hope you can find a way to sort this!

Guest mpportraits

Sounds like Phoebe has been giving your dogs lessons!!! It drives me CRAZY too!!! We have been unable to break it, so we just "dog proof" everything. I NEVER leave anything on the counters. If I forget, I've got a very happy dog. I've just learned not to think "oh she can't reach that" because where there's a will there's a way. I'm just hoping she doesn't teach Nina her evil ways! Phoebe still gets right up in our faces if we're eating on the couch....don't know how to break that onedunno.gif

Guest Wasserbuffel

The pennies in a can tied to a crusy old bagel trick seems to have stopped Jayne's counter surfing. She pulled them down three times and now doesn't seem interested in the kitchen. Last night I even put the racks from our smoker in the kitchen sink, smelling all meaty and lovely, she sniffed in their direction, but didn't even try to get a taste.

Guest NJgrey

Try catching them in the act and correcting - a loud AH-AH, clap hands. There's also the tin can method described above, or even the squirt bottle.

As for when they're left alone, all bets are off. Food can't be within reach or it's fair game. We learned this the hard way - I suppose we're lucky Ellie only ate three Reese's peanut butter eggs instead of the whole bag :lol:

Guest snakes

Sorry you are so stressed.

I am afraid to report that is normal behavior here too. There is no way any human food could be left unattended even for a just a minute! I just learned very quickly not to leave anything out :)

Guest lasharp1209

Unfortunately it is a self-rewarding behavior. So even if they've never stolen food before, if they get a hold of something one day, and maybe another thing the next, they've begun a habit that will be extremely hard to break. The food is the reward, and if you have a food-motivated dog, there is very little that you can do that will compete with the food reward. Sorry ... I know it's not what you want to hear.

We have our kitchen babygated off from the rest of the house, and we crate Blade during dinner so we can eat in peace. If I'm snacking on the couch, I ignore him the longer he stands in front of me, and when he goes over to his bed and lies down, I throw him a piece or two of whatever I'm eating - hopefully he'll get the message that good things will happen if he lies on his bed, AWAY from the food. Who knows, we're in the beginning stages. But yes, I feel for you because it can be a huge pain in the butt at times :)

Guest MyBoys

I am sorry you are stressed right now, when your pups do things like this it just seems to make it worse, but I agree with the others about not leaving any food where either of them can reach it, remember they are dogs and really don't use common sense, they smell it and it smells good so they take it, it is just that simple, their noses lead them right to it. Also, if you are stressed right now there could be the chance they are picking up on that, pooping in the house and so on. I know it is hard to collect yourself when things are not going right but your pups don't understand that and sometimes react to however you are feeling.

Guest Sunset123

Unfortunately it is a self-rewarding behavior. So even if they've never stolen food before, if they get a hold of something one day, and maybe another thing the next, they've begun a habit that will be extremely hard to break. The food is the reward, and if you have a food-motivated dog, there is very little that you can do that will compete with the food reward. Sorry ... I know it's not what you want to hear.

We have our kitchen babygated off from the rest of the house, and we crate Blade during dinner so we can eat in peace. If I'm snacking on the couch, I ignore him the longer he stands in front of me, and when he goes over to his bed and lies down, I throw him a piece or two of whatever I'm eating - hopefully he'll get the message that good things will happen if he lies on his bed, AWAY from the food. Who knows, we're in the beginning stages. But yes, I feel for you because it can be a huge pain in the butt at times :)

You might want to consider tossing him dog treats instead of human food. Even though he's on his bed, you're still teaching him that he can have food from your plate. If he doesn't expect you to give him human food, he won't beg.

Guest carmasims

our boy, chevelle couldn't care less about food on the counter, but if we left anything on the coffee table? he thinks it's fair game. :rolleyes: coffee or tea included. serry, on the other hand, the previous stray has no problem JUMPING on the counter for anything - dirty dishes with food on them in the sink, included.

let's just say that they've certainly trained us to be tidier and quicker on the draw to move things in to a cupboard/pantry. :lol

Guest Dragonmom

i guess your all right .....im heading out in a bit and all dogs are crated right now. Bella is whining like her life is ending. now i just need to clean up the aftermath of the dog free for all and ill be ok. Mt next thing is keeping tha damn cats off of the table :angryfire i love them all but i think i need to down size :( 3 cats was fine, till Princess added a couple kittens to the mix :(

Guest Spencers_Greyt

I learned a long time ago to never leave food on tables or counters. It's easier to do that than try and teach a dog not to steal it.

Guest lasharp1209

i guess your all right .....im heading out in a bit and all dogs are crated right now. Bella is whining like her life is ending. now i just need to clean up the aftermath of the dog free for all and ill be ok. Mt next thing is keeping tha damn cats off of the table :angryfire i love them all but i think i need to down size :( 3 cats was fine, till Princess added a couple kittens to the mix :(

Yes, we lock the cats up at dinnertime too. Makes it all very peaceful :)

Guest Dragonmom

I crated the dogs when i went out this afternoon. I took them out one at a time for a potty break and then back in the house. Things were going well till the rogue perogie leaped off my plate and landed on the floor. Tucker is horrid to walk still. i sadly admit to thinking about rehoming him. I worry that its just to much stress for me to handle everything and not fair to any of the dogs. One day at a time, it will get better.

Guest TeddysMom

I am so sorry that you are so stressed out. I know that is just one of the worst feelings you can have. I hope you can hang in there to see if things get better and I will pray that they will.

Guest gecko_foot

I don't quite understand why but both Winnie and Bella have taken to stealing people food. Bella i always knew she would if she had the chance, like a plate with food or something. But now it has gone WAY beyond that. First it was taking 1/2 a b;day cake off the counter. then it was the whole package of hamburger buns, a couple days ago it was the pumpkin tarts on the table. This time it was the 2 bite cinnamon rolls off the table while i was in the shower. WTH :angryfire :angryfire I'd like to think it was Bella but some places are just to high for her to reach.

Both food dishes are always full and the 3rd hopper feeder is as well. im at my limit with other stress and this is just one more thing i can't handle. ohhhhand the giant bag of ripped garbage and poop every where wen i came home didnt help.

I second the dog-proofing. I was fortunate that mine isn't too interested in getting into food, trash, etc., but he will steal things from the table when I'm not looking. If it's at nose-level, then it's fair game. I know I'd be hard-pressed not to steal some cinnamon rolls if they were right in front of me. :lol

Yes, it's normal doggie behavior. Even if they have dog food available to them at all times, human food is just better. It's also got that allure of the forbidden. :lol When dogproofing your kitchen, think long and hard about what they might possibly be able to reach/open. Argus learned to open the refrigerator. We had to baby gate him out of the kitchen altogether. Tiny once snagged a loaf of bread from the top of the refrigerator (I'm still not sure how).

There's a dogproof trash can called the DoggySafe, which is a bit pricey but well worth it. It's a step can with a locking lid. Child locks on the cupboards and drawers will help keep your goodies safe. And if all else fails, restrict their access to the kitchen. If they can't get in, they can't get in trouble.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg