Wheezing/trouble Breathing?

Guest kaedynsmom

Guest kaedynsmom

Woke up in the middle of the night to Kaedyn making strange noises. Turned on the light and he looked fine, but about 30 seconds later he seemed to have trouble breathing for maybe 1-3 breaths - he made a wheezing type of sound and kind of stretched his neck out and up. He didn't open his mouth, but it sounds like he is forcing air in, and after 1-3 breaths just put his head back down on his bed. This happened about 1-2 times per minute for a few minutes. He seemed fine otherwise - not in any visible distress. I took him outside and he walked around for a few minutes before coming back in - still wheezing. He went back to bed and continued the behavior for another 5 minutes while I considered how panicked I should be. Interestingly enough, as soon as I started browsing greytalk (which I've been doing for about an hour) he stopped. He is in the room next to me and I've heard it maybe 1-2 times in the past hour. I think he is asleep now. Sometimes when he is about to get a treat he makes a similar noise - like he is almost choking on the treat out of excitement before he even gets it - but this time it was different too. No other health issues - 5 years old, with me for 2. Has anyone had a similar experience?

My girl, Tick, does something similar when she's excited about getting a treat. But, I don't know what this could be now when he's sleeping & calm. Maybe he has something stuck in his throat - you know, like when you get a popcorn kernel stuck?!! If it continues, try giving him a slice of bread - maybe that will push whatever could be caught somewhere in there on down .

gallery_21421_3253_11008.jpg

Barb, Mom to Grey's Tickertape & Grey's McCarthy.
Always missing: Wizzie and Desi

Guest IrskasMom

I have No Remedie for that, but my Boy does this from time to time and so do my Grand-Dogs ( Shipoo and Cockpoo) . :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by IrskasMom

Guest kaedynsmom

It sounds like a reverse sneeze to me.

Read this: http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ReverseSneezing.html

Thank you so much for the article! That is exactly what was happening. I had never heard of reverse sneezing before! No more episodes throughout the night or this morning. He goes to work with me on Wednesdays so luckily I'll have him with me all day to monitor. Thank you again :colgate

Guest Energy11

Yes, this can be scary!!

Oakly reverse sneezes A LOT, especially when he is excited, or the pollen count is up ***and, trust me, it is UP here!***

I can get him to stop by gently rubbing his throat, or sometimes, I give him a little yogurt.

Good Luck!

Guest BooBooMama

It sounds like a reverse sneeze to me.

Read this: http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_ReverseSneezing.html

Thank you so much for the article! That is exactly what was happening. I had never heard of reverse sneezing before! No more episodes throughout the night or this morning. He goes to work with me on Wednesdays so luckily I'll have him with me all day to monitor. Thank you again :colgate

All three of my greys have had mild seasonal allergies. The first time my fist baby Jen sneezed I rushed her to the emergency vet hospital. I was almost hysterical. The vet was SO patient with me and explained what reverse sneezing was. I felt foolish but relieved and had $100 less in my pocket!