Maximum Doses For Tramadol And Valium?

Gracie was running hard in the yard yesterday evening. I can't let her run much because she will, and has again, hurt her back. Nothing has every shown on an xray except for a narrowing of disc spaces.

Vet gave me tramadol 50mg and valium 5mg to keep on hand for her.

So far: one tramadol at 10pm with her first yelp

one valium at 1:30am + one tramadol

Gracie weighs 78 lbs.

Getting her in the car now and waiting forever at the e-vet is not an option. I really need her to relax and rest.

How much more can I give her of either med in the next 12 hours?

How quickly and for how long does valium take affect? She has laid back down just now, no panting.

Edited by macoduck

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

She's resting a bit now so we'll try to get some sleep...........

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

What else can be given? - I'm thinking an anti-inflammatory - deramaxx?

I'll have to look through her records but I think she was given an injection once to help with this same thing.

What shouldn't be given? Morphine?

Right now she's asleep. I won't give anything else without calling the vet first.

tiny hada siggy.png

I will never ever give moraphine again.

First of all before he gave it the vet asked how I felt about watching Rex throw up -- which he did violently. Then when we came home he fought it all night screaming and crying. That may have been a once in a zillion thing but I will never do that again. Something similar on a lesser scale happened to a cat I sedated for travel years ago. She fought it until she collapsed.

Deramaxx worked well for Rex, as did Metacam for Kenny.

Edited by Hubcitypam
gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I looked through her medical file. During a previous episode she was given a buprenorphine injection. I remember the e-vet saying it would knock her out before we got back home but it didn't.

Another time for a bad shoulder sprain (xrays negative) she was given a dexamethasone injection and it helped.

Time to ask about a long term anti-inflammatory like deramaxx or rimadyl. I'll call the vet later today and see if they'll give an injection.

Editing to add: maybe we don't want the buprenorpine here

I think the dexamethasone worked better for her last time. about it

Edited by macoduck

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest BooBooMama

BooBoo is suffering from a pinched nerve in her spine. She is on: Tramadol 50mg tablet- 2 every 8 hours (6 a day); Gabapentin 100 mg capsule- 1 every 8 hours (3 per day) and 1/2 of a Deramaxx 50 mg tablet- 1 every 24 hours.

The Tramadol is general pain relief, the Gabapentin is a pain reliever that is better for nerve related pain and the Deramaxx is a NSAID.

So I think it would be safe to raise her Tramadol to the same dosage as BooBoo. Uncertain about the Valium with the increased Tramadol.

Edited by BooBooMama

BooBoo is suffering from a pinched nerve in her spine. She is on: Tramadol 50mg tablet- 2 every 8 hours (6 a day); Gabapentin 100 mg capsule- 1 every 8 hours (3 per day) and 1/2 of a Deramaxx 50 mg tablet- 1 every 24 hours.

The Tramadol is general pain relief, the Gabapentin is a pain reliever that is better for nerve related pain and the Deramaxx is a NSAID.

So I think it would be safe to raise her Tramadol to the same dosage as BooBoo. Uncertain about the Valium with the increased Tramadol.

Thank you! I'll ask about the Gabapentin today.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest BooBooMama

Thank you! I'll ask about the Gabapentin today.

Just be warned, BooBoo has NO appetite with all of these meds so try to get by on the lowest dosage she can tolerate and be pain free. You may need to add an antacid (like Pepcid) or something that was just recommended to me- Sucralfate for her tummy.

10mg for valium every 24 hours.

100 mg of tramadol every 6.

That was the dosage for Polli at 55 pounds

The valium gives them the "munchies".

Edited by RobinM

ROBIN ~ Mom to: Beau Think It Aint, Chloe JC Allthewayhome, Teddy ICU Drunk Sailor, Elsie N Fracine , Ollie RG's Travertine, Ponch A's Jupiter~ Yoshi, Zoobie & Belle, the kitties.

Waiting at the bridge Angel Polli Bohemian Ocean , Rocky, Blue,Sasha & Zoobie & Bobbi

Greyhound Angels Adoption (GAA) The Lexus Project

Guest Energy11

Hey Ducky! Just seeing this, this a.m. Sorry Gracie is hurting!

I would definitely ask the vet about a NSAID. To me, a combination of a NSAID and a muscle relaxer OR Valium, would do the trick. Curfew gets 10 mg of Valium a day 5mg a.m., 5 mg p.m. ... not for the same problem, though.

Please let us know what the vet says.

Sending many hugs and prayers! Dee

Valium can both supress appetite or make you really hungry--just so you know what to expect.

My MIL has a lot of chronic pain with her back--she does well on Gabapetin paired with pain medication, for what it's worth.

I would also ask about a muscle relaxant.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Back from the vet now. That's the quickest we've done as a walk-in.

Vet did a clinical exam and feels it's another muscle sprain similar to what she's done in the past. He did not think she needed xrays.

I am to continue to give her 50mg Tramadol, one every 12 hours

5mg Valium, one every 12 hours

and we are adding Carprofen 75mg, one every 12 hours

He thinks by this evening she won't need any more Tramadol or Valium. We can continue the Carprofen every 12 horus and gradually reduce the dose.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I asked about the Gabapentin and Deramaxx but he said he didn't want to "break out the big guns" unless she really needed it.

I had taken a Tylenol PM last night and by the time she was really feeling pain, the Tylenol PM was making me too drowsy to drive.

Gracie does not hide her pain like my other dogs do. She stood by my bedside much of the night, yelping if she tried to lay down. I also rate her on " the potty scale". On a normal day she'll follow me to the bathroom for a brief ear rub; if she's feeling needy she'll ask for a neck massage. Last night she literally sat on my lap every time I went to the bathroom. Poor Gracie. At least she's resting better now.

tiny hada siggy.png

Glad things are going better for Gracie. Just an FYI - I gave Dusty (who weighed 87 lbs at the time) one gabapentin. He looked like he was in a coma the whole day. Couldn't/wouldn't get up at all! As I understand it, he may have built up better tolerance had we continued, but we decided not to.

Continued prayers for a quick recovery.

Hi Ducky and Gracie

I swear by robaxin (methocarbamol) as a muscle relaxant. You don't run the risk of oversedation or agitation that you might with valium. I use this almost daily with Dandi for his back, as NSAIDs aren't an option with him. He's got 750mg tabs, and take 2 tabs up to 3 times daily. I only give him one tab twice daily.

Just another option for muscle pain and spasm.

But her little nose is alright, isn't it? ;)

gallery_13500_3426_13848.jpg

Would she tolerate warm, moist towels on her back--it should help relax the muscles and keep her more comfortable.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Hi Ducky and Gracie

I swear by robaxin (methocarbamol) as a muscle relaxant. You don't run the risk of oversedation or agitation that you might with valium. I use this almost daily with Dandi for his back, as NSAIDs aren't an option with him. He's got 750mg tabs, and take 2 tabs up to 3 times daily. I only give him one tab twice daily.

Just another option for muscle pain and spasm.

But her little nose is alright, isn't it? ;)

This :nod I :heart robaxin...it really helps them relax. Sometimes what's hurting them the most is the fact that their muscles won't chill out enough to get any relief.

Sutra is limping again so we're going to have xrays tomorrow if possible to see if it's the bursitis you mentioned that Gracie has. Earlier today I gave him some Deramaxx. He has been restless this evening so I gave him 75 mg tramadol (he weighs about 67 lbs) and he's now resting a little more peacefully. When we had robaxin on hand, I'd choose that first every time. I'm going to ask the vet for some more tomorrow.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

How's Gracie doing today?

My hounds have been prescribed up to 100 mg (2 tabs) of tramadol every 6-8 hr, and for some severe situations (tail amputation, dog fight wounds) in combination with Deramaxx. If that level of medication isn't working, then we ask for alternative meds rather than exploring higher dosages.

Today was a good day. I am still giving her the vetprofen only. Yesterday if she moved the wrong way sudden she'd yelp. When she walks right after a yelp there is no hunched back so that's good. She wants to run in the yard and is not happy about being denied a romp.

tiny hada siggy.png